What would YOU do ?

Garry Monk Sheffield Wednesday.jpg

Ok so I'm not a Monk fan, I know opinions are divided on him, but as there's no football and were all bored and we can all agree were in a massive mess lets play a game of what if.....

So Monk is gone, tomorrow you're given the job of revamping us to try and make us contenders next season as this one hasn't finished. Obviously we don't have much of a budget so who would you offer new contracts, who would you look to move on and how would you want the squad to be shaped going into next year ??

1 hour ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Ok so im not a Monk fan, I know opinions are divided on him, but as there's no football and were all bored and we can all agree were in a massive mess lets play a game of what if.....

So Monk is gone, tomorrow your given the job of revamping us to try and make us contenders next season as this one hasn't finished. Obviously we don't have much of a budget so who would you offer new contracts, who would you look to move on and how would you want the squad to be shaped going into next year ??

With Monk gone I would bring in the manager we should have got in September last year in Gary Rowett - yes he may cost us a bit of Compo to Millwall but not a lot.

I would release from the out of contract players Hutchinson, Pelupessy, Lee, Nuihu, Winnall, Jones, Stobbs. I would offer new deals to Fox, Fletcher and Fessi but the later two would be on reduced terms with bigger bonuses based on goals and assists.

I would send all the loan players back Wickham, Bates, Murphy, Da Cruz, Windass.

This will probably save me £10m a season in wages alone. Add to this getting both Westwood and Rhodes off the wage bill this figure will rise to £13m at least

I would also if received accept bids for any remaining players. The likes of Lees, Bannan, Reach have been good servants but a decent offer with 1 year left on their deals has to be considered. But any players who stay in the squad that I want will be resigned to longer deals so I don't then have half my squad leave next year too.

New deals for Penney, Borukov and a few of the development squad lads stepping into the first team squad

So far I am probably in the region of £13-15m better off with costs but with a vastly reduced squad.

Dawson, Wildsmith, Fox, Penney, Borner, Iorfa, Lees, Palmer, Urhoghide, Odabajo, Harris, Reach, Fessi, Bannan, Luongo, Fletcher, Borukov, Hunt, 

I will need a 2 wingers, idea who can play on both flanks, a striker or two depending how well Borukov develops into the first team and centre back cover if either any of the 3 I have are sold. Any big offers receive will give me more room to develop and improve the squad.

My prediction for my finish with a bit of luck with injuries, would be top 10 maybe outside for play offs if a few players show some form.

• Haha 1

Guest LondonOwl313
21 minutes ago, room0035 said:

With Monk gone I would bring in the manager we should have got in September last year in Gary Rowett - yes he may cost us a bit of Compo to Millwall but not a lot.

I would release from the out of contract players Hutchinson, Pelupessy, Lee, Nuihu, Winnall, Jones, Stobbs. I would offer new deals to Fox, Fletcher and Fessi but the later two would be on reduced terms with bigger bonuses based on goals and assists.

I would send all the loan players back Wickham, Bates, Murphy, Da Cruz, Windass.

This will probably save me £10m a season in wages alone. Add to this getting both Westwood and Rhodes off the wage bill this figure will rise to £13m at least

I would also if received accept bids for any remaining players. The likes of Lees, Bannan, Reach have been good servants but a decent offer with 1 year left on their deals has to be considered. But any players who stay in the squad that I want will be resigned to longer deals so I don't then have half my squad leave next year too.

New deals for Penney, Borukov and a few of the development squad lads stepping into the first team squad

So far I am probably in the region of £13-15m better off with costs but with a vastly reduced squad.

Dawson, Wildsmith, Fox, Penney, Borner, Iorfa, Lees, Palmer, Urhoghide, Odabajo, Harris, Reach, Fessi, Bannan, Luongo, Fletcher, Borukov, Hunt, 

I will need a 2 wingers, idea who can play on both flanks, a striker or two depending how well Borukov develops into the first team and centre back cover if either any of the 3 I have are sold. Any big offers receive will give me more room to develop and improve the squad.

My prediction for my finish with a bit of luck with injuries, would be top 10 maybe outside for play offs if a few players show some form.

Problem is, from your retained squad only Iorfa, Reach, Bannan, Forestieri and Fletcher are good enough for a top 6 squad. With a couple of question marks. Of the rest, some could do a job at the lower end of the championship and some just aren’t good enough. 

So we’d need probably 10 new top 6 players or next season would be a write off

30 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Still no PACE in the team.

It's going to take more than just 1 season to build a squad good enough to challenge for a playoff spot.

At least 2, more probably 3 seasons.

So I would start by improving the coaching staff at academy level + the scouting of local, S/yorks, W/Yorkshire youngsters,.

Bring in players at 20 - 26 years old, physically fit and hopefully quick.

35 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I like a lot of that but a top 10 finish with that squad would be one hell of an achievement even with a couple of new signings. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

Last thing we want to be doing is getting rid of the likes of Lees, Bannan and Reach. ( unless we receive ridiculous offers of course.) 

We will have no decent experienced players left.

While people may like the idea of these being replaced with. Urhoghide, Hunt and Borukov. The reality is quite different.

The out of contract players are the ones to let go to trim the squad.

Edited by pazowl55

I can say what I think would work.

Create a proper club culture with some hard charicters and leaders with real mental strength.

Getting to that from where we are is a bit more difficult. 

The players wouldn't listen to me as I dont have the in depth tactical knowledge and I wouldn't blame them. 

If I was owner I would look for a manager who could create the right culture first and foremost. Someone like a more loyal Steve Bruce.....

Major caveat being we've not got a clue what has gone on - but with some form of clean slate the first thing would be Westwood and Hutchinson, obviously.

Go back to basics. 4-4-2. Spine being Westwood, Iorfa-Borner, Bannan-Hutchinson and Fletcher-Forestieri and stick with this where possible.

7 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Ok so im not a Monk fan, I know opinions are divided on him, but as there's no football and were all bored and we can all agree were in a massive mess lets play a game of what if.....

So Monk is gone, tomorrow your given the job of revamping us to try and make us contenders next season as this one hasn't finished. Obviously we don't have much of a budget so who would you offer new contracts, who would you look to move on and how would you want the squad to be shaped going into next year ??

Loovens manager, Hutch assistant. 

All scouts looking at 19 - 26 year old, with the Belgium, French, and Scando Leagues being a prime source of players. 

Try to loan 3 players from top premier league sides

I’d try to hire whoever is in change to finding players at Peterborough.  

Keep Fletch for one more year. 

6 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Problem is, from your retained squad only Iorfa, Reach, Bannan, Forestieri and Fletcher are good enough for a top 6 squad. With a couple of question marks. Of the rest, some could do a job at the lower end of the championship and some just aren’t good enough. 

So we’d need probably 10 new top 6 players or next season would be a write off

Reach?

Ok so firstly the retained - I’d keep Forestieri, Hutchinson (make him club captain and play him CH), Penney and Wildsmith. Rest can go.

Id then go with the 2 players for every position. We have 2 keepers in Dawson, Wildsmith with Jones as back up. We have 3 center backs in Hutch Iorfa and Borner with van Aken as back up. Penney at LB. Odubajo as a RB.

Wingers or wide midfielders we have 3 in Reach Bannan and Harris. Luongo as our only CM.

Forestieri as our CF. All other players not mentioned can go. 

So transfer business we need, a rb a lb 3 Cm players 3 strikers and a winger. Just the 9 players. 

On 01/05/2020 at 16:18, WalthamOwl said:

I like a lot of that but a top 10 finish with that squad would be one hell of an achievement even with a couple of new signings. 

I am an Owls we have to be optimistic we have a chairman without a clue and a manager who does not play his strongest team.lol

• Like 1