Players scared to go back to football

Specific to the group of wednesday players, I don't trust them to keep their level of fitness up over quarantine. I reckon they'll all turn up fat as fizz, and cant see them being motivated to finish the season. 

We'd also probably be the only team in the country who would benefit from not having toxic home fans there:biggrin:

11 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

I thought it was 8 fixtures, but unless I'm cracking up, would the same number of people not be involved in each fixture (give or take), therefore the number would only be roughly what I suggested, rather than a being a number equal to the multiplication of the fixtures? Put it another way, if 300 people were involved per game in one weekend of Championship football, would there not be 150 people from the previous game involved in the next? And the other 150 involved in another game?

If my numbers are correct, being the smaller of the two we are debating, it's still way too many. If your numbers are correct, it's just too scary to contemplate.

I think we're talking about the difference between potential and actual infection. If you have 13,800 people involved who all test negative in the first week (as questionably reliable as that might be), then you would have the same number who could be positive the following week, regardless of who they were. So in those terms, it is a cumulative total even if it was the same individuals every game.

That would only change if some of them test positive. Obviously they would have to be replaced in the short term and thus you'd still have 13,800 involved each week of fixtures. After recovery, it's possible these individuals could return with immunity, but from what I've read and heard, even that cannot be taken for granted. It's assumed that previous carriers have some degree of protection based on other viruses and the body's defences, but it is not known how much, or how long it might last. The research is still in it's infancy regarding that. 

And as I said earlier, the numbers these people would come into contact with, directly or indirectly could escalate quickly before anyone realised what was going on. It seems to me that the odds of no one being tested positive in the first couple of weeks are negligible and an already chaotic situation would become even more shambolic. That aspect alone makes the whole idea fanciful.

In the top two divisions there are 9-10 games left, in the lower two it's 10-13. But financially it's difficult to imagine how Leagues One and Two could operate behind closed doors, especially with all the extra measures that would be necessary, without making large losses that jeopardised the existence of numerous clubs. However, I don't imagine the Premier League or FA have given any of those much thought.

4 hours ago, kobayashi said:

BTW I wouldn’t but equally I have no intention of spending my life hiding as it would seem many would prefer. This problem is not going anywhere soon so the sooner people get their head around that fact and develop a bit of resolve to find a way to get on with life the better.

Don't think anyone is hiding, more like taking sensible 

Wonder what the players agents think of this? Do they want to risk the safety of their players/assets. You would think keeping them safe and well is important to them from a personal and maybe even the value to them over a 10 year career.

14 hours ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

The mayor of Liverpool was right yesterday when he said it'd be impossible to stop their fans congregating outside Anfield if the season continued. Even at a neutral ground etc some of them would still try and travel to it.

I still think there's absolutely no chance if the football league resuming, but the Premier League are really going to try. Hopefully they fail. 

100% the football league will get cancelled there isn't any financial gain for playing behind closed doors ,where in premier league with season tickets already sold and 75-80% of season over 96% of revenue is from tv deals and sponsorship advertising there is talk of it costing them 700-800 million , ive said many times the only way football has any future is the ability to scrap every contract if a club cant afford to pay it ,if that cant happen then football is done. it would come back in future with much fewer clubs. 

Guest The Claw
19 hours ago, OxonOwl said:

I think scared is the wrong word. Some people may be scared but with most it is reasonable caution.

Try the pasta isle at the super market that'll get ya scared 

10 hours ago, scram said:

Nobody is stopping the rest of you getting on with things - but what if a team has say 3 critical players who are in a higher risk group?

Just get on with it without your best players - like any club would accept that?

If football is no longer safe for any players who were participating safely prior to this pandemic then it's not safe now 

I don't see how anybody can argue that

And crucially i doubt the players and their union would stand for it either

That would be unfortunate but if those players have been identified as requiring shielding then those clubs will just have to get on with it. 
If anyone or any organisation is waiting for things to be just as they were before they are prepared to resume their life then they are in for a long wait.

44 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

That would be unfortunate but if those players have been identified as requiring shielding then those clubs will just have to get on with it. 
If anyone or any organisation is waiting for things to be just as they were before they are prepared to resume their life then they are in for a long wait.

I think people will soon change there thinking when all the gov handouts run out and the country is bankrupt ,with this mass fear factor in a lot of people masses of business will go to the wall ,look at America how many jobs have already been lost , that's coming here very soon by the summer when these payments from government start to dry up ,rent needs to be paid,bills need to be paid and because of a huge panic a lot of people just wont go into these businesses ,a lot only just get by anyways before all this started. some people just cant see what the future is going to be with this mass panic . I take care myself but my life hasn't stopped I go to work ,go to bq go out for walks,bike rides whatever I can do really , while some just refuse to go through there front door who are healthy . the panic of  this is going to do unrepairable damage . im all for safety and been careful and common sense but there is a limit to all this , nobody knows who long this will last we cant all hide forever. how fit healthy footballers can possibly be at risk I don't know, personally id scrap it because football isn't football without paying public there ,this is purely a money reason. I would give all footballers a choice if they aint happy about playing then fine ,suspend there wages until they want to play again that why there not fleecing football for doing nothing. 

20 hours ago, Parsons Cross Owl said:

It puts those moaners in the NHS to shame, grumbling about PPE, and working in care homes, when these brave footballers could be risking everything by kicking a ball about in empty grounds, after everyone in a mile radius has been tested.

Think we should applaud footballers, every Friday at 8.00.

Stupid post. 

You're forgetting that NHS workers earn 30k a week for what they do.

Footballers are lucky to earn that year...

That's right isn't it?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, kobayashi said:

Agree with what you say 're companies working etc as important to the overall economy, manufacturing etc and such like. Precaution can be put in place etc.

But again, football is just a game at the end of the day, no way can you say the EFL is critical to the economy etc.

We are told that football is nothing with out the fans, well if so what's the point in playing at the moment.

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

They're going to work.

Is it critical though are they key workers, is it not possible to do their job at home training?

How can you have one rule for ordinary people and another for people who on the whole could probably afford to stay at home.

1 minute ago, Harrysgame said:

Agree with what you say 're companies working etc as important to the overall economy, manufacturing etc and such like. Precaution can be put in place etc.

But again, football is just a game at the end of the day, no way can you say the EFL is critical to the economy etc.

We are told that football is nothing with out the fans, well if so what's the point in playing at the moment.

The EFL will be contributing massively to the economy. 

But most importantly the Government will realise that sport is a core function of modern life, integral to people's good feeling, wellbeing, mental health, and life in general

In short Football is so important these days to people the Government can't avoid addressing it.

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

The EFL will be contributing massively to the economy. 

But most importantly the Government will realise that sport is a core function of modern life, integral to people's good feeling, wellbeing, mental health, and life in general

In short Football is so important these days to people the Government can't avoid addressing it.

Not convinced, I love football but it's going to the game I love most. Economy wise  without hundreds of thousands of fans attending and spending money on travel, food etc where is the benefit to the clubs and local economies.

Probably only ones missing out are the betting companies...shame that.

22 hours ago, Great Big Galaa said:

You can’t really social distance in football. So if measures have to be adhered to, how can they possibly do this safely? They can’t?

Our players have been social distancing from the opposition players since Christmas, so we are well practiced in it. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, handworth52 said:

there is 100-1000 times more chance of catching the virus at a supermarket than playing football in the fresh air. yes the footballer wont want to risk giving it to and elderly relation but this virus don't touch healthy children and young adults , there are loads of nasty evil illnesses what effect younger people but this pretty much isn't 1 of them. people need to stop been petrified only 50 of a 1000 don't have an underlaying health issue what have sadly passed away and most of the 50 are over 60years old. 

What’s the fresh air got to do with it? 

3 hours ago, Harrysgame said:

Professional football is not just a game it’s an economic activity and has been for the best part of 150 years and as such is as valid an economic activity as any other commercial enterprise.