Players scared to go back to football

Football Masks.jpg

As Football looks at starting to go back to some kind of normality, football players are starting to express their fears at going back to football whilst the Covid-19 Virus is still out there in the community.

One player speaking out is Sergio Aguero, who's fears will no doubt be echoed by players at every single club.

He said: "The majority of players are scared because they have family, they have children, they have babies, parents.

"When we go back, I imagine that we will be very tense, we will be very careful, and the moment someone feels ill, you will think: "What's gone on there?" I hope there is a vaccine so all this ends.

"It does scare me, but I have just been here with my girlfriend. I haven't had contact with other people.

"They say that there are people who have it but who don't have symptoms and they can infect you. That's why I've stayed at home. You can be infected and you don't know anything about it."

He added: "Fifteen days ago, we were told about a return date (to training) and that was May 4. Now there is a new meeting."

It wont just be the likes of Sergio Aguero. His sentiments are bound to exist amongst players at all football clubs who are nervously watching the meetings taking place by their leagues as to when they will be asked to return to training and playing football again.

Owlstalk Shop

I think they are right to be scared and they have every right in my opinoin to refuse to play, unless their health and safety is absolutely guaranteed. The same as any person in any working environment.

I'm sure Gordan Taylor and the PFA will be representing them and highlighting any and all concerns, before a ball is even kicked.

there is 100-1000 times more chance of catching the virus at a supermarket than playing football in the fresh air. yes the footballer wont want to risk giving it to and elderly relation but this virus don't touch healthy children and young adults , there are loads of nasty evil illnesses what effect younger people but this pretty much isn't 1 of them. people need to stop been petrified only 50 of a 1000 don't have an underlaying health issue what have sadly passed away and most of the 50 are over 60years old. 

13 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

there is 100-1000 times more chance of catching the virus at a supermarket than playing football in the fresh air. yes the footballer wont want to risk giving it to and elderly relation but this virus don't touch healthy children and young adults , there are loads of nasty evil illnesses what effect younger people but this pretty much isn't 1 of them. people need to stop been petrified only 50 of a 1000 don't have an underlaying health issue what have sadly passed away and most of the 50 are over 60years old. 

Think the point is, they will not be able to see parents, possible wife/kids/girl friend etc etc.

I deffo would say bollloxe I ain't playing...until all restrictions are lifted

1 hour ago, handworth52 said:

You are wasted here Mr President. All these scientists around the world who have no idea of so many elements of the virus and it's effects and here you are so glibly sure of all the answers. It's nowhere near as clearly defined as you suggest as even a cursory examination of the available evidence makes clear. For example, I read one early study which indicated the age group footballers fall into came with a 1% risk of mortality when infected by COVID-19. So on that basis, if 100 players were to be infected...

One Bundeslige report estimated 300 people would be required to stage a single match (perhaps that could be reduced somewhat in lower divisions?). There's 46 of them scheduled in the average football weekend at professional level in this country, and at least 9 sets of fixtures remaining. Not including the FA Cup or the league play-offs, you'd be directly exposing somewhere in the region of 100,000 individuals to end the league campaign. The number of people they would subsequently come into contact with, directly or indirectly, would be multiple times that number. And all that assumes not a single supporter turns up, which as we've already seen elsewhere is highly unlikely.

1 hour ago, kobayashi said:

The probability and seriousness to Aguero and every other player of a "normal" serious football injury is significantly greater than coronavirus.

That's true, but an elderly relative is not at significant risk of death if he pulls his hamstring.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Football Masks.jpg

As Football looks at starting to go back to some kind of normality, football players are starting to express their fears at going back to football whilst the Covid-19 Virus is still out there in the community.

One player speaking out is Sergio Aguero, who's fears will no doubt be echoed by players at every single club.

He said: "The majority of players are scared because they have family, they have children, they have babies, parents.

"When we go back, I imagine that we will be very tense, we will be very careful, and the moment someone feels ill, you will think: "What's gone on there?" I hope there is a vaccine so all this ends.

"It does scare me, but I have just been here with my girlfriend. I haven't had contact with other people.

"They say that there are people who have it but who don't have symptoms and they can infect you. That's why I've stayed at home. You can be infected and you don't know anything about it."

He added: "Fifteen days ago, we were told about a return date (to training) and that was May 4. Now there is a new meeting."

It wont just be the likes of Sergio Aguero. His sentiments are bound to exist amongst players at all football clubs who are nervously watching the meetings taking place by their leagues as to when they will be asked to return to training and playing football again.

He wants to try being a nurse with a wife and kids who earns a fraction of what he does.

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

That's true, but an elderly relative is not at significant risk of death if he pulls his hamstring.

I think the risk of Aguero having to nip around to his nan's in Wythenshawe to cut the lawn is probably not too significant.

More widely nobody has been able to see elderly relatives for the last couple of months so I'm sure most of the 20-something footballers could cope with the "emotional torment" of separation for a few weeks longer if necessary.

Guest REDAs_biG_piECE

FFS folk still think there actually is a virus and haven’t worked out it’s just a pysop to control the masses

Utter madness

Season should just be scrapped.

Football authorities so desperate to get season finished when its obvious its not safe to do so.

Supported the Owls all my life thru thick and thin but its a game.

Nearly 30,000 people out there up to now who definitely won't have a choice of ever going to a game again.

Just shows how greedy the game has become. Don't give a flip about the fans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, handworth52 said:

Jesus fukking wept

The mayor of Liverpool was right yesterday when he said it'd be impossible to stop their fans congregating outside Anfield if the season continued. Even at a neutral ground etc some of them would still try and travel to it.

I still think there's absolutely no chance if the football league resuming, but the Premier League are really going to try. Hopefully they fail. 

57 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

I think the risk of Aguero having to nip around to his nan's in Wythenshawe to cut the lawn is probably not too significant.

More widely nobody has been able to see elderly relatives for the last couple of months so I'm sure most of the 20-something footballers could cope with the "emotional torment" of separation for a few weeks longer if necessary.

Direct contact is for the most part straightforward to avoid. It's the indirect part that is the biggest problem. 

6 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Direct contact is for the most part straightforward to avoid. It's the indirect part that is the biggest problem. 

2 sets of young athletes competing are not a significant risk to each other...outside of that the rest of the process would have to managed just as it is for all other organisation and/or individuals....I'm sure it wouldn't beyond the wit of man to at least make it no more and probably significantly less risky for the individuals than say 2 hours behind a shop till.

Restarting before the virus is fully under control is a non-starter, even if matches are played on neutral grounds such as the FA HQ at Burton to avoid fans with radios turning up outside the grounds.

Imagine the scenario... Team A plays Team B on the Saturday behind closed doors. On Monday, a player from Team B calls in sick. That's two full squads, coaching staff, match day staff and match officials quarantined for two weeks. How can you finish a season on that basis even with disregards for players', officials' and staff's safety?

Problem really is that everyone knew this a month ago when the season could have been ended then without this contraction of agony that still persists from the authorities.

2 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

2 sets of young athletes competing are not a significant risk to each other...outside of that the rest of the process would have to managed just as it is for all other organisation and/or individuals....I'm sure it wouldn't beyond the wit of man to at least make it no more and probably significantly less risky for the individuals than say 2 hours behind a shop till.

If the Bundesliga estimate has merit, you're looking at a minimum of 100,000 people just involved in physically being at the games to complete the league season. That's before you even get into the unknown issue of supporters turning up. If they are only in any kind of indirect contact with just 5 people each that's half a million individuals at risk. 

On that basis, based on UK rates so far, that would translate to around 150 deaths, although that probability would presumably be reduced somewhat given the demographics of many of those involved and an extensive testing strategy. But the players themselves make up a large minority of those involved in playing the games anyway.

Statistics broken down by age are not easy to find, and there are many mitigating circumstances, but in Italy and the UK mortality rates for those aged 20-40 seems to be around 0.5% of all cases. So far as I can tell, just in the kind of age range you are talking about, something like 250-300 people out of a total of 380,000 positive tests in those two countries have died from coronavirus. 

That seems like quite a price to be potentially paying for the sake of a few weeks of football.