Least expected place to meet an Owl

I moved to a little village in the middle of nowhere in Norway. When it was time for my oldest to go to kindergarten, my wife went to the intro parents evening to get to know all the teachers. When she came back she said to me "you'll never guess what t-shirt the boss of the kindergarten was wearing." It was only a bloody Wednesday shirt. He was Norwegian, but it turns out he grew up in the 90s and fell in love with the Waddle-era team. Of course, we struck up a friendship straight away and dropping the kids off always involved at least a 10 minute moan about something Wednesday-related. 

• Like 5

Never met him, but there is a Spanish lad in Malaga who actually has a Wednesday season ticket. A guy from Sheffield who has a place out there, and whom I sometimes travel to games with, met him at the airport. Fair play to him, I can’t justify having a season ticket, as I’m not able to travel to enough games, but he obviously does

• Like 1

Didn’t meet a Wednesdayite, but visited a bar after one had left!  I was working for the Canadian Government and had to go to the Canadian military base at ‘Alert’ which is as far North as you can get before you bump into the North Pole.  There’s only 1 way in, which is to fly via Greenland, and only 1 flight each fortnight.  No roads, no cars, no ships, nothing but some military types and an obligatory bar.  So imagine my surprise when I went to that bar to find a Wednesday pennant above the bar.  Apparently this was put up by a Canadian who had visited Sheffield and enjoyed a trip to see the Owls.

Bit of a tangential claim really but enjoyed reminiscing 

• Like 2

When I was working as I spy for MI5 in 1979 and caught in Soviet Union I was sent to an enemy of the state community outside Kharkiv. Turns out one of the guards was watching Wednesday 6 - 0 Leeds and I saw him doing the Reda Jermaine dance. I said let me go. He did. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, flo said:

When I was working as I spy for MI5 in 1979 and caught in Soviet Union I was sent to an enemy of the state community outside Kharkiv. Turns out one of the guards was watching Wednesday 6 - 0 Leeds and I saw him doing the Reda Jermaine dance. I said let me go. He did. 

How lucky are you? What were the chances eh?

• Haha 1

Was having a local walk a couple of weeks back in s12 and looked over onto the field. About 10 metres from where I was there was a lady with an owl on her shoulder. I remarked that's not what I expected to see someone walking on the field.

She replied that he normally gets out quite regularly to a school assemblies etc. But recently he's been stuck at home lots more than usual. Haven't seen them before and haven't seen them since so most definetly unusual.

Great story eh

• Haha 2

Last October, I went to what the locals claim to be El Classico- Calgary Cavalry vs Edmonton in the Canadian Premier League. El Classico it wasn’t having lived in Buenos Aires and watched Boca vs River Plate. I was wearing my blue and white top and got the bus to the game with a Sunderland fan who had come down from Yellowknife but on my out bumped into an Owls fan wearing the black and thin yellow stripes of the Sanderson era

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Calgary Owl said:

Last October, I went to what the locals claim to be El Classico- Calgary Cavalry vs Edmonton in the Canadian Premier League. El Classico it wasn’t having lived in Buenos Aires and watched Boca vs River Plate. I was wearing my blue and white top and got the bus to the game with a Sunderland fan who had come down from Yellowknife but on my out bumped into an Owls fan wearing the black and thin yellow stripes of the Sanderson era

Out of interest, how many of you do wear Wednesday colours if you happen to be at another game? It’s odd, I rarely wear colours, home or away, but have often worn something Wednesday when watching Malaga. Maybe it eases my conscience, and I feel less of a traitor for being there? 
I can remember, a few seasons back, I got a request from my father in law in Moscow, to take him and some of his business colleagues to an English football match. He was not particularly enamoured with the idea of going to Southend away, and decided that he wanted to go to Chelsea, and it didn’t matter what it cost. Reluctantly I agreed, and managed to get us tickets, parting with £600 in the process, for which he thankfully reimbursed me, and I met them in London. Defiantly I turned up in my Wednesday scarf, and an Oxford Owls tee shirt, which confused my guests and irritated the stewards, who initially refused to let us in. Eventually we were allowed in and I spent the whole afternoon on my phone listening to the reports from Southend. 

• Like 1

20 years ago, wandering around in the mountains near Lake Tahoe in northern California. Car pulls up and this massive bloke walks towards me gesturing, I was convinced I was about to be brutally murdered but he was a Wednesdayite.  (I was wearing a SWFC shirt, he wasn't psychic) 

Asian Cup in Australia 2015 - there was 7 games at Canberra - I went to 5 of them with the Mrs. Said to her 'sod it every game we go to I'm wearing a Wednesday top'

So first game I seen another Wednesday shirt in one of the upper tiers who noticed my shirt in the distance just give me the thumbs up. 

We did

UAE v Qatar 4-1

Iraq v Palestine 2-0

Bahrain v UAE 1-2

China v N Korea 2-1

Iran v Iraq 3-3 6-7 on pens - This was a crazy game and one of the best i've ever been to. 

Throughout the games I attended got a few different looks of intriguement, some people asked so was happy to spread the gospel. 

There was a really strange case where I live and was driving along and I said to the Mrs that bloke who was cutting his grass has a wednesday top....so thought sod this turned round and went to say hello. He has a mate in Sheffield who had converted him but never been over and sent him shirts etc. Told of my experiences both good & bad over the years...WAWAW 

• Like 2

December 28, 2018, on  CAT/PET scan table, for a burst incarcerated hernia, ~3:00 AM, New Port Richey, Florida, U.S.A. The Tech said to me, "Sir, is that a Sheffield Wednesday insignia", I said "yes sir it is."  Always wear my Wednesday clothes.

Was traveling around the South Island, got up early and hiked up to Franz Joseph Glacier, not a soul around. Making my way back I see a lone figure in the distance headed towards me. As he drew closer I said "morning", "morning" came the reply in a thick Yorkshire accent. Two blokes meet in the middle of nowhere, 12000 miles from home and they are both from Sheffield and Wednesday supporters......that could only happen in NZ.

On 01/05/2020 at 05:33, NorthAmericanOwl said:

Sheffield Wednesday Fan.jpeg

Basically from the title have you ever been in a part of the world and randomly met a Wednesday fan?

For me 6 years ago at welding company in Barrie,Ontario.

Got the job and was introduced to a bloke called Dave who was my mentor at the time from Bradfield who loved Wednesday as much as me.

Was a great relief to have a colleague with something to talk about.

BW Suites hotel on the Indonesian island of Belitung, halfway between Borneo and Sumatra. Recognised his Sheffield accent at the breakfast buffet. 

After finishing our reminiscing that evening,  the other half didn't speak to me until breakfast the next day.. 

• Like 1

On 02/05/2020 at 00:29, steelerian said:

I have a few

1. Walking around the concourse at a Boston Bruins game in about 2007

2. In the Bellagio last summer

3. At my home in Koh Samui, I have 2 other Wednesday fan mates here, that I randomly met in bars.

Strangly, Ive honeslty never met any piglets on my travels over the years.

On 02/05/2020 at 07:40, The Claw said:

Nearly everywhere I've been on holiday ,never met any blunts!

Of course you haven't!!!

They've only started wearing the shirt this season.lol

Edited by oldtawnyowl
  • Haha 2

I live in Cornwall, my son was born 3 months early and when he was on the neonatal ward I put my oldest Wednesday scarf over his incubator. 2 days later I walk in to see my son to find the next child in a incubator with a Wednesday shirt over it. To top it off one of the nurses looking after our children was a Sheffield United fan. 

• Like 1

I went to an Irish pub in Washington DC about 5 years ago. There was a load of Wednesday memorabilia up behind the bar. Chatting to the landlord, it turned out that his girlfriend was from Sheffield and was a Wednesday fan. He had a few shirts, a signed ball, some photographs, and a scarf up if memory serves me right.

• Like 1