Urhoghide

2 minutes ago, Semedo's ferret said:

Another Ash Baker. 

I disagree...……….he may not make it here but there is potential...….he has been impressive and poor in equal measure on his few appearances , but at no time during his stint with us would I have called Baker impressive.

1 hour ago, sheriwozgod said:

I disagree...……….he may not make it here but there is potential...….he has been impressive and poor in equal measure on his few appearances , but at no time during his stint with us would I have called Baker impressive.

Yes and it’s probably no coincidence that his better performances were in impressive team performances away at Brighton and Leeds, whereas his poorer performances were in the two shocking team  performances against Blackburn and Reading. It could be that he was just caught up in the general malaise 

Guest wilyfox

Clearly has the talent & attributes required to do well. Time will tell whether he can find consistency. Don't understand why some seem keen to write him off. Give him time. 

How quick are some people on here to write off young, inexperienced player they know nothing about just couple of games into his pro-career. Especially one like Urhoghide who got all the tools to make it at this level given bit of luck and support.

• Thanks 1

The guy is a young kid who has played a handful of games in a sh*t team. Would be classic Wednesday to let him go and watch him progress at another club. 

My opinion is we need to be keeping hold of the likes of Urhoghide and Penney at least for another 1-2 seasons, particularly in case the club gets hit by points deductions and embargoes. 

He’s a young lad who may or may not be good enough long term. The only way to tell is time and, experience. Probably worth another year, won’t cost us a fortune and, it gives us a chance to monitor his progression.

The biggest problem he had last year was, his natural desire to impress, he tried too hard which, meant he lost his head numerous times resulting in him being left for dead against Blackburn. Once he learns to relax and, chose the right to to attach the ball, he’ll be alright. 

About 5 hours into his Wednesday career and some are already writing his obituary? Bloody hell. 

Legends like David Platt, Peter Beardsley and Jamie Vardy and Harry Kane were all told by clubs they wouldn't make it at the top level by much more experienced football minds than some of the brain donors on here.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
36 minutes ago, Ian said:

Your stock answer to any Wednesday player under 25 who hasn’t got 70 caps

No mate. Quite like the look of Iorfa. Penney might be ok too. Don’t be an attention seeking idiot all your life mate!

5 hours ago, wilyfox said:

Clearly has the talent & attributes required to do well. Time will tell whether he can find consistency. Don't understand why some seem keen to write him off. Give him time. 

I think because in the game that he got subbed at half time he played like a sub standard member of the Royal Oak back four. Possibly the worst home debut I’ve ever seen.  And in the other home appearance he got himself sent off. 

However it was in generally awful team performances and he did apparently play well in the two away matches so he deserves a bit of patience. 

Edited by rickygoo

He needs more time - particularly as he has played centre back in the youth team and now we are asking him to play full back in the first team.

Youth players often start out in the spine of the team (striker or centre back) but eventually make a career elsewhere - I think Liam Palmer was a striker, though you wouldn't believe it looking at his goals tally? But they do need time to learn the position.

1 hour ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

No mate. Quite like the look of Iorfa. Penney might be ok too. Don’t be an attention seeking idiot all your life mate!

nothing like a good old ironic post on a Saturday.....says a lot about someone's argument when they resort to personal insults. Thanks for conceeding

20 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

To be fair this is a very good club and he looks a very good player on here. I could argue that all players look good on these but I’ll not bother with that. It’s possible that I’m mainly judging him on his Blackburn performance which was downright appalling and he didn’t even look like a professional in that game. Hopefully he develops. We shall see. Thanks for taking the time to post the clip.

No problem. It's was a random coincidental find.

And you're right, montages aren't going to show the gaffs, so they'll always highlight the best things a player has done. The Blackburn game will never feature as he was just lost at sea, but maybe this give some balance and hopefully he will have learned from that game too.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
6 hours ago, Ian said:

nothing like a good old ironic post on a Saturday.....says a lot about someone's argument when they resort to personal insults. Thanks for conceeding

Yes the irony as yours was a. Attack on me in the first place so technically you already ‘lost’ before I spoke, even though I didn’t know it was a contest. Weirdo!

Guest LondonOwl313
7 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

He needs more time - particularly as he has played centre back in the youth team and now we are asking him to play full back in the first team.

Youth players often start out in the spine of the team (striker or centre back) but eventually make a career elsewhere - I think Liam Palmer was a striker, though you wouldn't believe it looking at his goals tally? But they do need time to learn the position.

Was Palmer really a striker? I know he played centre mid when he first came through but never knew he played up front. Surprised because he’s got no composure at all in front of goal.. over the years he’s found himself in decent positions but never scores

1 hour ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Was Palmer really a striker? I know he played centre mid when he first came through but never knew he played up front. Surprised because he’s got no composure at all in front of goal.. over the years he’s found himself in decent positions but never scores

Yep, just checked - there's an interview with him here: https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/long-serving-sheffield-wednesday-defender-18044026

What position did you play when you were younger?

Striker. I think I must have used up all my goals before I was 18!

I broached the subject of Wednesdayites’ expectation of Urhoghide when he first broke through (see below thread). There was a real mixed bag in terms of responses with some ridiculing me. We really do over-expect at times.