Urhoghide

14 hours ago, NorthAmericanOwl said:

Think it's too early to say whether he is or isn't good enough imo.

As Wednesday fans we have a knack of bigging people up to expect way too much and I've been guilty of that in the past.

The embarrassing waffling regarding George Hirst on here was the best example of that. Was funny to say the least 

• Haha 1

He's young and got potential. It's too soon to write him off. He's not costing much so no reason not to give him time to develop. A loan to some lower league team for a few months and then maybe up to L1 standard team. If he does well then give him a shot here.

All young players have good games and bad ones but they keep developing until they are mid 20's. 

Give him time.

3 hours ago, kevtheowl said:

Did you go to the Leeds ?   The opening post mentions nothing of been ready for championship football, it asks should we keep him !  And on what I’ve seen I think we should.   UTO 

Yeah I did go to Leeds. Which was why I was so surprised that people were raving about him. 

Maybe we should keep him but as a minimum he needs significant experience at a lower level  before he could be championship ready. Ideal scenario would be a season long loan to a league 2 side and see how he gets on.

5 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Persisting with these players, if they are willing to learn, can see patience rewarded. One of the best examples was Mel Sterland. Not particularly well regarded in his youth age groups, he was nevertheless promoted to the first team squad, a decision that was hardly met with universal approval. 
However, he was a determined lad, and was quick to learn, and in the end, carved out a decent career for himself. 

Said to my mate at a cup game ( Coventry I think) after he'd been skinned for a goal that he'll  never make a full back in  a million years ......he gets in my best wednesday 11 so not good to make rash judgement on young lads .

Did well against Brighton and Leeds, but the Blackburn mauling and the Reading sending off will undoubtedly have damaged his confidence and set him back.

Perhaps one of the more senior and experienced players - Iorfa perhaps - should be tasked with taking him under his wing and actively helping in his development - it’s far too early to be writing him off just yet - there’s potential there IMHO.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
5 hours ago, ChapSmurf said:

In the Brighton game I noticed him from the off. He was calm on the ball, and always had his head up looking for a pass. For a yound lad, he was also strong, often shielding the space and/or the ball. He read the game well too and was rarely out of position. He showed for the ball too, so he wasn't scared of getting it played to him and before receiving the ball, he was looking around at who was on. He never looked rushed and he came across like he'd been playing at that level for a number of years.

He showed a lot of promise that game and I was very impressed. A lot to learn, granted but he was up there for MoM for me.

I can’t comment on the Brighton game as I’ve only seen highlights. He did seem to have a good debut to be fair. Against Leeds everyone lauded him and I couldn’t for the life of me understand why. He was running into cul-de-sacs and seem to have no control over the ball at all. He was a liability in his two other games. Listen I’m all for keeping him. Young lad, good athlete and keen to learn but I’d be amazed if he wasn’t playing in League 2 at best in about 2-3 seasons.

5 minutes ago, Kew Owl said:

Did well against Brighton and Leeds, but the Blackburn mauling and the Reading sending off will undoubtedly have damaged his confidence and set him back.

Perhaps one of the more senior and experienced players - Iorfa perhaps - should be tasked with taking him under his wing and actively helping in his development - it’s far too early to be writing him off just yet - there’s potential there IMHO.

Of course it has to be noted, that he wasn’t alone when it came to poor performances in those two home games

8 hours ago, poite said:

No idea what his video means 

He will be another example of why this football club just never seems to develop young players and then profit from it. 

He's a young, energetic player with potential (but a lot to learn) who has played a part and mostly played well. Has one bad or half decent game, gets booted out the side for it and is discarded. Fans simply remember them as 'never good enough'. 

This football club is atrocious at youth development and its been a huge problem for as long as I can remember. 

Not often I say it but this is something that I can't point the finger at Chansiri for. Seems to be something deep rooted in the culture. 

Like the last 4 decades, but that is the Wednesday way, always trying to buy success and after a couple of seasons failing followed by decades in the doldrums of lower league football.

We never plan any further than the next game.

57 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

I can’t comment on the Brighton game as I’ve only seen highlights. He did seem to have a good debut to be fair. Against Leeds everyone lauded him and I couldn’t for the life of me understand why. He was running into cul-de-sacs and seem to have no control over the ball at all. He was a liability in his two other games. Listen I’m all for keeping him. Young lad, good athlete and keen to learn but I’d be amazed if he wasn’t playing in League 2 at best in about 2-3 seasons.

I promise, he was as good as I mentioned. One of the best debuts I think I've ever seen. He did seem a little bit lost against Leeds, not sure why but I'd certainly be keeping him. Maybe a loan out next season.

As for his future, well it's hard to say. Based purely on Brighton, he'd cut it in the Championship but who knows.

Plenty of comments about the fanbase treatment but unfortunately it seems to be an issue with our managers aswell. 

How many times have we had players come into the side for a handful of games and play well...

"Yeah, I'm delighted for him. He's a brilliant lad. Works his socks off on and off the field. Got loads of quality and bags of potential to be a key player. You need young blood like this in a successful squad blah blah blah..."

Plays one game below par.

Out of the squad and struggles to ever find a way back in.   

5 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

As it happens, and completely randomly, I've just seen a video montage of him on Twitter. There are quite a few clips from the Brighton game. This may change your opinion on him, or it may not. I'm certainly not trying to, but I thought you might want to watch it anyway.

See what you think.

Edit. Hmmm, the Twitter link isn't embedding. One sec...

Edited by ChapSmurf

Guest ka58

I’m amazed that a lad who’s played a few games in a car crash of a side and shown on reasonably well can be written off by someone.

i thought he was excellent on his debut And showed real promise.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
1 hour ago, ChapSmurf said:

Click the link and scroll up for the video if it's not showing when this loads.

To be fair this is a very good club and he looks a very good player on here. I could argue that all players look good on these but I’ll not bother with that. It’s possible that I’m mainly judging him on his Blackburn performance which was downright appalling and he didn’t even look like a professional in that game. Hopefully he develops. We shall see. Thanks for taking the time to post the clip.

13 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

He's got bags of ability...put him in a side where the senior pro's do not GAF and then criticise him a not being good enough...only on Owlstalk lol

This is a crucial point.

Coming into a struggling team cant be easy for a young player. Coming into a struggling team of players who are losing whilst at the same time hardly setting a good example, could be catastrophic for their careers.

Compare to the likes of Humpreys in the late 90s, or even Bart-Man (yes, he was a buy, not a youth product, but was sinilar age). Those 2 guys were allowed to come into a reasonably successful team full of very very good pros such as Nilsson, Walker, Pressman, Pembridge etc

A great example of this was the famous ManYoo "class of 92". Although they were obviously top top top class players. It was a nice time for them to come into a title winning team, as opposed to a struggling one. And coming into a team of great old pros such as Bruce, McClair, Hughes, etc. Harder now when the ManYoo examples to follow are Lingard etc.