Urhoghide

25 minutes ago, poite said:

No idea what his video means 

He will be another example of why this football club just never seems to develop young players and then profit from it. 

He's a young, energetic player with potential (but a lot to learn) who has played a part and mostly played well. Has one bad or half decent game, gets booted out the side for it and is discarded. Fans simply remember them as 'never good enough'. 

This football club is atrocious at youth development and its been a huge problem for as long as I can remember. 

Not often I say it but this is something that I can't point the finger at Chansiri for. Seems to be something deep rooted in the culture. 

The fans don’t help.

We are very quite to destroy footballers.

Even more experienced professionals can’t take it so who knows what the kids think watching on.

33 minutes ago, Malkmus said:

The fans don’t help.

We are very quite to destroy footballers.

Even more experienced professionals can’t take it so who knows what the kids think watching on.

Understand your point but every single fanbase in the country has that section that strike at the juggler at every given opportunity. 

If we can’t afford to bankroll a promotion push, we have to find ways of developing our own, and that will require patience and persistence Plenty of times I’ve seen clubs like Ipswich touted as being good examples of clubs producing their own players Often they will include half a dozen players who have come through the development groups, but they won’t all be world beaters. However, if you persist, some may turn out to be useful additions to the first team squad

10 hours ago, torryowl said:

only saw his 2 home performances and looked like a rookie centre back being asked to play at right back ...he was way off the pace 

Agree he is a CB in my opinion.

Will he make it, who knows but he needs time. Looked solid in the away games. A loan spell would help him.

11 hours ago, kevtheowl said:

He was excellent at Brighton and Leeds !!

I’m with you, he’s got bags of ability  and we should keep him.   UTO 

Everyone was raving about him after the Leeds game but he looked very raw to me. Leeds targeted him as much as they could as he was our obvious weak point. Certainly not ready for championship football at this stage in his career.

1 hour ago, poite said:

No idea what his video means 

He will be another example of why this football club just never seems to develop young players and then profit from it. 

He's a young, energetic player with potential (but a lot to learn) who has played a part and mostly played well. Has one bad or half decent game, gets booted out the side for it and is discarded. Fans simply remember them as 'never good enough'. 

This football club is atrocious at youth development and its been a huge problem for as long as I can remember. 

Not often I say it but this is something that I can't point the finger at Chansiri for. Seems to be something deep rooted in the culture. 

Agree, and we have had some talent come through which 'could' with better management have had big futures in the game. But as is the Wednesday way we seem to ruin them !!!

The best example of not knowing would be Tommy Spurr, one of the more successful players to come through our academy in the last 25 years. He was told he would be released as he wasn't good enough.... then we had a injury crisis and he had to be called upon to play left back for the first team (he was a centre back at the time). Came in played very well and the club changed there mind and went on to have a good career in the championship. Had it not been for that injury crisis he would probably have drifted down to non league and been lost.

You never know until you give them a chance, but a proper chance in a decent side, not thrust in amongst poo as so many have been which hinders them.

Persisting with these players, if they are willing to learn, can see patience rewarded. One of the best examples was Mel Sterland. Not particularly well regarded in his youth age groups, he was nevertheless promoted to the first team squad, a decision that was hardly met with universal approval. 
However, he was a determined lad, and was quick to learn, and in the end, carved out a decent career for himself. Latterly, Liam Palmer, who gets too much stick from people on here, has shown similar determination to overcome the boy boys, and is playing regular championship, and international football. These lads may not be the stellar signings some desire, but they can be sound inexpensive additions to the squad. In our current predicament, we will need a sprinkling of these lads

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Persisting with these players, if they are willing to learn, can see patience rewarded. One of the best examples was Mel Sterland. Not particularly well regarded in his youth age groups, he was nevertheless promoted to the first team squad, a decision that was hardly met with universal approval. 
However, he was a determined lad, and was quick to learn, and in the end, carved out a decent career for himself. Latterly, Liam Palmer, who gets too much stick from people on here, has shown similar determination to overcome the boy boys, and is playing regular championship, and international football. These lads may not be the stellar signings some desire, but they can be sound inexpensive additions to the squad. In our current predicament, we will need a sprinkling of these lads

This 100%

6 minutes ago, striker said:

Difficult to judge a youth player coming into a struggling team. 

Considering Monk's comments about him, attitude etc and presumably low wage, be surprised if he was being  released.

Added to this, with 14 players out of contract, and potentially leaving, plus those we might want to sell, we won’t really be wanting to recruit another 15-16 players.

1 hour ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Bags of ability? No brain, can’t dribble and out of position constantly. Apart from being a good athlete I struggle to see his ‘bags of ability’!

WOW !!  That’s a Fantastic assessment of a young lad who’s played a few games !   UTO 

37 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

Everyone was raving about him after the Leeds game but he looked very raw to me. Leeds targeted him as much as they could as he was our obvious weak point. Certainly not ready for championship football at this stage in his career.

Did you go to the Leeds ?   The opening post mentions nothing of been ready for championship football, it asks should we keep him !  And on what I’ve seen I think we should.   UTO 

21 minutes ago, striker said:

Difficult to judge a youth player coming into a struggling team. 

Considering Monk's comments about him, attitude etc and presumably low wage, be surprised if he was being  released.

I agree. Some folk still seem to think our summer overhaul will include 21 stonking championship ready first team players

1 hour ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Bags of ability? No brain, can’t dribble and out of position constantly. Apart from being a good athlete I struggle to see his ‘bags of ability’!

In the Brighton game I noticed him from the off. He was calm on the ball, and always had his head up looking for a pass. For a yound lad, he was also strong, often shielding the space and/or the ball. He read the game well too and was rarely out of position. He showed for the ball too, so he wasn't scared of getting it played to him and before receiving the ball, he was looking around at who was on. He never looked rushed and he came across like he'd been playing at that level for a number of years.

He showed a lot of promise that game and I was very impressed. A lot to learn, granted but he was up there for MoM for me.

5 minutes ago, kevtheowl said:

Been told it’s 9.   UTO 

9 to replace 14? Actually that sounds about right, and more realistic than 20. There may be others still under contract, who we might be looking to sell, but we could balance that out if players like Fletcher, Fox and Penney end up staying 

Edited by gurujuan

12 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

To be fair, he’s not god enough. Nice kid though 

We take a kid from the development squad and play him out of his normal position for two or three games and on the basis of that you decide he’s not good enough. Really?

Can  anyone else remember a kid called Mel Sterland being thrust into the first team in similar fashion..

He was played in central midfield and everyone said ....not good enough.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Blatter said:

We take a kid from the development squad and play him out of his normal position for two or three games and on the basis of that you decide he’s not good enough. Really?

Can  anyone else remember a kid called Mel Sterland being thrust into the first team in similar fashion..

He was played in central midfield and everyone said ....not good enough.

Indeed