Bannan

Barry Bannan.jpg

Barry Bannan recently spoke to Mat Kendrick on the Claret and Blue podcast and admitted he wants to return to the Premier League before he hangs up his boots.

The 30-year-old joined Sheffield Wednesday in 2015 and has gone on to make 200 appearances in all competitions, scoring 11 goals and making 32 assists. He cited Wednesday’s promotion failure as a “down point” of his stay, however, so his future at Hillsborough may be uncertain.

Bannan said on the podcast: “I have been at the club for five years now, which is a long time, and I have enjoyed every minute of it. The only down point I would say is I have not got the club to the Premier League yet and that is something I want to do before I finish my career.”

Since the Scottish international joined Wednesday, the Owls have made the Championship playoffs twice (6th in 2015/16, 4th in 2016/17). In 2015/16, Wednesday beat Brighton & Hove Albion 3-1 on aggregate in the play-off semi-finals but lost to Hull City in the final. In 2016/17, the Owls lost to Huddersfield Town in the semis.

In the last three years, Wednesday have finished no higher than 12th in the table, so it’s hard to see them finishing in the top-six with a squad full of free transfers and players on loan. Bannan is out of contract in 2021, so he may not sign a new deal if Wednesday fail again next year.

He added: “Hopefully I have got another five or six good years ahead of me. Touch wood, I stay clear from injuries and stuff like that but I want to play in the Premier League. I want to repay our fans back at Sheffield Wednesday for the support they have given me over the years and I want to get the club back to the Premier League if I can.”

• Haha 1

Guest wilyfox

I don't know why people get bitchy with Bannan. He's said he wants prem with us, not elsewhere. Put ya claws away.

If we sort our recruitment out properly and get the right ingredients in the team with him, it could happen.

..providing DC doesn't get us relegated. :ph34r:

As always the first thing to do when reading a quote in the press is..

1) Immediately attack whoever was quoted, no matter the context
2) Attack the journalist who asked him the questions
3) Attack the publication that published it

4) Bonus points if you only read the title or first line and disregard anything else totally.

Remember kids - DO NOT actually read what the person quoted says, don't stop and think if it makes sense or not, just attack!!

Owlstalk Shop

20 minutes ago, peacock1961 said:

Good luck in the prem bazza, someone close to you needs to tell you that you aren't good enough. Think you have had a couple of goes already haven't you? 

It's like the lass at the pub thats amazing at karaoke who thinks she can get a record deal. 

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

As always the first thing to do when reading a quote in the press is..

1) Immediately attack whoever was quoted, no matter the context
2) Attack the journalist who asked him the questions
3) Attack the publication that published it

4) Bonus points if you only read the title or first line and disregard anything else totally.

Remember kids - DO NOT actually read what the person quoted says, don't stop and think if it makes sense or not, just attack!!

Evident in a fair few replies in this thread already.

Bannan has said in this interview that he is disappointed he hasn't helped us reach the PL already and his aim is to do so with us. Cue people attacking him for wanting a move to the PL and attacking him for not being good enough.

He should have just said he is happy to play out the rest of his career plodding along in the lower mid table of the Championship! 

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Bannan has said in this interview that he is disappointed he hasn't helped us reach the PL already and his aim is to do so with us. Cue people attacking him for wanting a move to the PL and attacking him for not being good enough.

He should have just said he is happy to play out the rest of his career plodding along in the lower mid table of the Championship! 

Mad innit..

Keep watching every time a news article is published and watch the rabid attacks that come immediately without any real look at what the player/manager/journo/pundit has actually said.

The discussion then immediately gets yanked away from what was said, and that's ignored totally, and instead the discussion turns to the person that said it and a bitter and lengthy period of attack happens

Every single time.

Owlstalk Shop

16 minutes ago, Suzuki_San said:

It's like the lass at the pub thats amazing at karaoke who thinks she can get a record deal. 

I'm a talent scout. Please PM me her details

Edited by bobness
  • Haha 1

Pretty evident from what he says that Bannan loves the club and the only thing missing for him is to repay the fans for their faith in him by helping to get us to the Premier League. After that first season with us, he probably thought we would be back in the big time by now and just frustrated it hasn’t materialised. Wish some of our other players had that mentality. 

Please go to the Premier ASAP. 

Bannan is a complete liability 

In that interview he said he'd got six years left in him. Of course he has. 

No doubt, a player of his obviously incredible quality will be in demand from top championship teams 

And then there's the Premier league. 

Yes, he's such a good player that nobody else wants him. There's been no inquiries. 

One would think that such a midfield general would be getting a plethora of offers to play at the highest level. 

There's always the possibility that such a general is playing mind games in order to get a better deal. He's already getting about 30k a week too much. 

I absolutely agree with the general. He's way too Good for us. 

So off you go. 

Oops nobody else wants him. Consequently we are stuck with this waster for yet another season. 

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

It's almost as if people just logon to type crazy s@t for attention and those little laughing emojis.

Their wives must have given up listening a long time ago.