Give it some Timpson Rocky!

ED6C1EC5-2B7D-4A23-A651-4DB431A2D719.jpeg

Bob Bolder was my first Wednesday keeper. He was a very reassuring presence in goal, a solid looking man. After some early wobbles, notably the 3-0 home defeat to Blackburn, those upset by Chris Turner’s departure would soon be won over. He was a true hero of the 79-80 promotion season, I’ll always remember his point blank save in front of us off a rebound off the bar on Boxing Day to deny the Blades a certain equaliser. 

In the spring,  as we walked up the steps into the Bramall Lane stand for the return game, the hairs stood up on the back of my neck as our fans sang Bob Bolder, Bob Bolder, Bob Bolder!! At that moment I knew we wouldn’t lose that afternoon.

The fellas sat behind us in the West Stand were never slow to come out with one liners and astute,  but cutting observations, and as they warmed to the young keeper from Dover, often as he was about to take a goal kick, one of them would bellow ‘Give it some Timpson Rocky!’

Just the occasional smell of someone’s sweet pipe tobacco is enough to take me back there...

• Thanks 1

Just now, Inspector Lestrade said:

The lad lad took some right stick from the fans, a bit like Dawson is now,  but he grew in the role and became a very decent keeper.  So much so they wrote a famous song about him.

More concrete evidence that boooing our players makes them better

Can't wait for footy to come back so we can give em a reyt booing

Especially as they're warming up to come on a sub. That one ALWAYS makes the team play better that one..

Owlstalk Shop

Years            Team                              Apps    (Gls)
1977–1983    Sheffield Wednesday      196     (0)
1983–1985    Liverpool                             0     (0)
1985–1986    Sunderland                        22    (0)
1986–1993    Charlton Athletic              249    (0)
1994    Margate                                          ?    (?)
1994–1995    Dagenham & Redbridge    31    (0)
Total                                                       477    (0

He won the European Cup in 1984, being placed on the substitutes bench in the final.  Whilst at Liverpool.

Chris Turner was a very good keeper, but Jack Charlton preferred Bob because of his size.  We used to say that he had a vampire complex (scared of crosses) when he first started with us, but (presumably) Jack taught him to use his size to dominate his area - I once saw him flatten a centre forward and Mick Lyons to punch clear (not many people flattened Mick Lyons!).  

I've never heard booing like Bob got in the Blackburn game, but dropping Chris Turner was a controversial decision, and there was a lot of frustration that what we thought would be a promotion season wasn't going well (meanwhile United were top of the division).  Still, Bob came good and everything changed after Boxing Day.    

9 minutes ago, Alfie Tupper said:

Chris Turner was a very good keeper, but Jack Charlton preferred Bob because of his size.  We used to say that he had a vampire complex (scared of crosses) when he first started with us, but (presumably) Jack taught him to use his size to dominate his area - I once saw him flatten a centre forward and Mick Lyons to punch clear (not many people flattened Mick Lyons!).  

I've never heard booing like Bob got in the Blackburn game, but dropping Chris Turner was a controversial decision, and there was a lot of frustration that what we thought would be a promotion season wasn't going well (meanwhile United were top of the division).  Still, Bob came good and everything changed after Boxing Day.    

Both players moved onto the two biggest clubs in England, can't see that happening for quite a while. 

16 minutes ago, Alfie Tupper said:

He made his debut after the Boxing Day disaster at Tranmere in 1977 when we were adrift at the foot of the Third and immediately looked the part. It wasn't until the last minute of his third game, away to Carlisle, that he actually conceded and that was all down to Ian Porterfield. Actually, I've never heard any stick given to any Wednesday player like Porterfield got after that goal.

He was always a bit error prone (anyone remember the divot episode against Barnsley....or was it Rotherham?) but for my money was the best keeper we had had since Ron Springett. And Big Jack clearly thought so too. Was disappointed when he left.

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

The lad lad took some right stick from the fans, a bit like Dawson is now,  but he grew in the role and became a very decent keeper.  So much so they wrote a famous song about him.

Was it the one saying he had no arms?

He did well for us before a strange move to Liverpool to sit on their bench.

35 minutes ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

He made his debut after the Boxing Day disaster at Tranmere in 1977 when we were adrift at the foot of the Third and immediately looked the part. It wasn't until the last minute of his third game, away to Carlisle, that he actually conceded and that was all down to Ian Porterfield. Actually, I've never heard any stick given to any Wednesday player like Porterfield got after that goal.

He was always a bit error prone (anyone remember the divot episode against Barnsley....or was it Rotherham?) but for my money was the best keeper we had had since Ron Springett. And Big Jack clearly thought so too. Was disappointed when he left.

It was against Rotherham (they still sing about it)  but I put that down to sheer bad luck.  Not an error.