Mike Ashley

Guest Ash76

3 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

Cant see that happening

Saudi at United had no issues and he’s got links with Bin Ladens for Christ sake

The Bin Laden family has had extensive links with some VERY influential people, including former US presidents. Even the most notorious of them was a CIA asset, for a period of time that is up for debate. 

1 minute ago, cross owl said:

He would want us in the Prem , there is no money in the championship . If he replicated what he did at Newcastle we would be permanently in the Prem and when they weren't they went back up as champions . 

He couldn't upscale Newcastle with all their ambitions, income and fan base size. Plus their newer and mode economical stadium. Considering the FFP rules in the Championship I don't think for 1 minute he'd suddenly be the 20 year saviour we've been waiting for. He'd find it really tough with us in the Championship and wouldnt have anywhere near the advantage he had with us that he had with Newcastle who absolutely dominated in all aspects financially on and off the pitch. 

Just now, TheEnchanter said:

Yes but its about scale. They are a much bigger club than us and have a much bigger revenue stream. For them those 2 years in the championship were equivalent to our 2 years in league 1. Would you see our league one years as success? You've surely got to measure the fact that Newcastle have underachieved/been dragged along in apathetic life support whilst under his ownership. 

We have no revenue stream as we are garbage at it . We stood toe to toe with Newcastle for decades now they are moaning they aren't top six and we are moaning that we are miles away from the prem . 

1 hour ago, Grandad said:

He'd be a MASSIVE improvement on Chansiri. Its a yes from me

Stop it. Just because Ashley is an astute businessman, has contacts in football all the world, and can bring Steve Bruce back, can get the EFL off our case, is loaded, and offers us a chance to move forward, that is no reason to push his name forward.

(insert OwlsTalk reasons for staying clear).......

- He’s overweight

- He pays his staff minimum wages

- His fishing section on Sports Direct is crap

- He’s a friend of Dennis Wise

- Alan Pardew is his drinking buddy

- Lonsdale brand is crap

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

7 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Oh dear. This is what 20 years of very little has done to some supporters. One of the most criticised figures both football wise and ethically is loosely linked to buying us and some are lapping it up. 

If you thought the atmosphere was bad now, I tell you now it would be worse under Ashley. Especially if like DC we haven’t gone up in 2 years and have blown out kitty once more. 

Still at least those Puma kits look better and they will be on time. 

Everything I know about the man makes him utterly detestable and he's the polar opposite to me politically and morally. 

But I have to say that we would be a better run club under his tenure , and ultimately probably more successful. 

Just now, cross owl said:

We have no revenue stream as we are garbage at it . We stood toe to toe with Newcastle for decades now they are moaning they aren't top six and we are moaning that we are miles away from the prem . 

I don't think you can compare the Newcastle of the last 25 years with our club. Just because we were similar to them in the past that is. 

If you want the best evidence about Mike Ashley go and ask Newcastle fans then assess whether you want that. I lived up there for a few years and his name was met with bile at every turn. 

1 hour ago, Ash76 said:

Mike Ashley Sheffield Wednesday.jpg

Apparently interested in another club 

https://www.nufcblog.co.uk/2020/04/26/mike-ashley-now-planning-to-buy-another-football-club-once-saudis-seal-300m-takeover-report/

A random Geordie in a telegram group I’m in is saying he’s heard from a number of people it’s  rumoured to be us.

How would people feel? It’s a no from me 

Successful businessman, done alright with Newcastle, gets the managers he wants and seems to do relatively well with transfers. Maybe not the ideal replacement but better than what we have. I would prefer him to our current chairman. 

1 hour ago, TrickyTrev said:

When you look at the criteria of the club he’s possibly looking to buy, I think it’d be either be us, Leeds, Forest, Derby or Sunderland.

He gets a lot of stick and I don’t really like the guy but he knows how to run a football club and he knows how to get sides promoted from this league.

I’d take him ahead of Chansiri.

If you said that in front of any of my mates who are Newcastle fans,they all would say you must be absolutely crackers.

2 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

He couldn't upscale Newcastle with all their ambitions, income and fan base size. Plus their newer and mode economical stadium. Considering the FFP rules in the Championship I don't think for 1 minute he'd suddenly be the 20 year saviour we've been waiting for. He'd find it really tough with us in the Championship and wouldnt have anywhere near the advantage he had with us that he had with Newcastle who absolutely dominated in all aspects financially on and off the pitch. 

If he is in for us , who knows really apart from himself , he will have a plan to get us making money , he knows football and treading water in the Premier is far more lucrative than treading water in the championship . 

3 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

I don't think you can compare the Newcastle of the last 25 years with our club. Just because we were similar to them in the past that is. 

If you want the best evidence about Mike Ashley go and ask Newcastle fans then assess whether you want that. I lived up there for a few years and his name was met with bile at every turn. 

A bit like what Chansiri gets from

some of our fans then? Football club chairmen, the vast majority are unpopular wherever they reside?

Guest Grandad
3 minutes ago, Penfold said:

Successful businessman, done alright with Newcastle, gets the managers he wants and seems to do relatively well with transfers. Maybe not the ideal replacement but better than what we have. I would prefer him to our current chairman. 

Exactly

Like a genuinely successful businessman

Not the son of one

I can't blame any of our fans for wanting a new owner and a new direction. 

But it's hilarious after all the poo we've been through how people will justify MA to be a good fit for us. Maybe we are doomed for decades to come? Maybe we have been so used to an underachieving, disconnected and failing club? Maybe it's me thats in fantasy land for wanting an owner that doesn't treat his staff like scum. 

Come on people surely there's more to aim for than this. 

9 minutes ago, Grandad said:

But why? Im ot trying to catch you out - just interested to know why you feel he'd be worse

I don’t know about you but at the minute I feel really distant with the club. We need someone who would get us all pulling in the same direction. A lot on here maybe dislike DC but up at Newcastle fans hate Ashley, something like that doesn’t happen for no reason. I’m desperate for us to be taken over but just hope that’s by someone that knows how to run a business but also someone that appreciates the fanbase and doesn’t try to alienate them. Our club at the minute is a bit of a laughing stock, getting Ashley as our owner would take that to a new level. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

Guest Grandad
Just now, TheEnchanter said:

I can't blame any of our fans for wanting a new owner and a new direction. 

But it's hilarious after all the poo we've been through how people will justify MA to be a good fit for us. Maybe we are doomed for decades to come? Maybe we have been so used to an underachieving, disconnected and failing club? Maybe it's me thats in fantasy land for wanting an owner that doesn't treat his staff like scum. 

Come on people surely there's more to aim for than this. 

Im not sure people are doing that

Theyre just saying hes better than what we have

Guest Grandad
Just now, WalthamOwl said:

I don’t know about you but at the minute I feel really distant with the club. We need someone who would get us all pulling in the same direction. A lot on here maybe dislike DC but up at Newcastle fans hate Ashley, something like that doesn’t happen for no reason. I’m desperate for us to be taken over but just hope that’s by someone that knows how to run a business but also someone that appreciates the fanbase and doesn’t try to alienate them. 

Hes united those Newcastle fans then.... ;-) 

1 minute ago, Great Big Galaa said:

A bit like what Chansiri gets from

some of our fans then? Football club chairmen, the vast majority are unpopular wherever they reside?

I've had plenty to say about DCs reign. A lot of it criticism. I know how apathetic the club and fan base has been in recent seasons. Its been horrible but a move to MA would be the same but just in different ways. Just because he'd be a new owner I don't think he'd be better. But obviously it's literally impossible to find perfection in reality. Only for the purposes of this hypothetic thread can I speak in such terms.