Mike Ashley

Guest Ash76

2 hours ago, Asio otus said:

DC will not sell unless someone offers silly money and MA would only be interested if the club was going cheap.

MA will have a pick of clubs very soon as virus sorts out those who will struggle to continue.

I’m not so sure. 

He must be losing a lot of money with this lockdown and with a potential fine and points deduction on the horizon, it might just force his hand. 

2 hours ago, Asio otus said:

DC will not sell unless someone offers silly money and MA would only be interested if the club was going cheap.

MA will have a pick of clubs very soon as virus sorts out those who will struggle to continue.

Who knows, one might be us? That quote in the Athletic the other day by someone who didn’t want to be named suggested we were totally in the sh!t financially?

9 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Who knows, one might be us? That quote in the Athletic the other day by someone who didn’t want to be named suggested we were totally in the sh!t financially?

That's due to FFP though isnt it, not the fact Chansiri is broke.

Might appeal to Ashley that if he buys the club he wont have to spend any money as we cant.

5 hours ago, theowlsman said:

I’m not going to disagree. 

Ps - Overheard on the Kop a few years back - “I’m not bothered about promotion. We’d have to arrive at the ground earlier and I’d struggle to find somewhere to park”

Many people will have this outlook.

To some the social side is all they are bothered about. Meeting mates, having a few beers etc. The football is secondary and there is nothing wrong with that.

To some its just an escape from normal life for a sat afternoon.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stoop said:

Genuine question 

Who would have Ashley here if it meant, us getting promoted (which would need to happen to make him any money) and finishing no higher than 12th in the PL every year? 

Who wouldn't want that ?  After the last 20 years I'd love that.  And it's probably the best we could hope for under ANY circumstances.  And a team that finishes about mid table has a great chance of winning the FA Cup. I'd love us to win it before I die.  

We'd have a great season getting promoted, sell out crowds the following season and a chance to contribute to Uniteds relegation. We'd have internationals, a higher profile, improvements to the ground and with no worries about relegation as we'd finish mid table every year. What's not to like ?

4 hours ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Most clubs are due to Covid. 

With COVID exposing the states many clubs are in, not only will Mike Ashley have his pick of clubs but I also suspect many many clubs, most in far better states than us, will be rushing to him 

I posted earlier on this thread about my thoughts on any prospective deal however, just to open debate, what makes us an objectively better proposition to a business man than the likes of derby/forest/bristol city/sunderland/Ipswich etc. etc.

9 minutes ago, Chris Apolon said:

With COVID exposing the states many clubs are in, not only will Mike Ashley have his pick of clubs but I also suspect many many clubs, most in far better states than us, will be rushing to him 

These people don't go for healthy clubs mate

They look at picking off the ones who are in dire straits and turning them around.

Just to remind you that's what Mike Ashley does for a living. 

When House Of Fraser was going out of business he nicked in and bought em out of administration

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

They look at picking off the ones who are in dire straits and turning them around.

When House Of Fraser was going out of business he nicked in and bought em out of administration

and has said it was a mistake.... I wonder if he wants to make an even bigger one :bullen:

8 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I see him more as an opportunist - obviously he is well known for taking on unhealthy businesses when they come up, but I do also reckon he will have his pick to decide which opportunity he takes on next rather than one dropping in his lap and there will be plenty of clubs to pick from

1 minute ago, Chris Apolon said:

I see him more as an opportunist - obviously he is well known for taking on unhealthy businesses when they come up, but I do also reckon he will have his pick to decide which opportunity he takes on next rather than one dropping in his lap and there will be plenty of clubs to pick from

Very true

Be interesting to see what he does.

Even more so if he chooses us!

Owlstalk Shop

On ‎22‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 12:29, scram said:

I know exactly what would happen 

People would get fed up of finishing around 12th in the premier every year - they'd be pining for an exciting promotion race in the championship or people sayimng the owner had taken as far as he can so he needs to sell up so we can move to the next level

or he could buy us, get us promoted and sell us for £300 million

11 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Very true

Be interesting to see what he does.

Even more so if he chooses us!

I would love us to follow a model as per my local team exeter city. They were massively financially mismanaged early 2000s but are now majority owned by the trust. Debt wise nowhere near us, and a cup game against man itd basically cleared their debt...

But

They focus on young players, sell on and reinvest. The likes of ampadu (chelsea), ollie Watkins (brentford), matt grimes (swansea) and Jayden stockley (preston) all developed by exeter (youth or bought young). Funds then reinvested to the operating of the club, maintain finances and develop the academy/training

Interestingly, many ex players are then brought into the trust as well as notable famous local people

It's a pipe dream and would possibly entail dropping to rise again but its certainly the ownership model I'd love to see.

Edited by Chris Apolon

7 minutes ago, Chris Apolon said:

I would love us to follow a model as per my local team exeter city. They were massively financially mismanaged early 2000s but are now majority owned by the trust. Debt wise nowhere near us, and a cup game against man itd basically cleared their debt...

But

They focus on young players, sell on and reinvest. The likes of ampadu (chelsea), ollie Watkins (brentford), matt grimes (swansea) and Jayden stockley (preston) all developed by exeter (youth or bought young). Funds then reinvested to the operating of the club, maintain finances and develop the academy/training

Interestingly, many ex players are then brought into the trust as well as notable famous local people

It's a pipe dream and would possibly entail dropping to rise again but its certainly the ownership model I'd love to see.

It could include dropping to stay there for ever

1 minute ago, the third man said:

It could include dropping to stay there for ever

Would it though? We don't know the ins and outs of the business model. Works in Germany and Exeter could be promoted and run at an operating profit with a far smaller fan base and revenue stream.

There is no reason to think that with our average attendance bringing a decent revenue in, added to a larger catchment area than the west country for young players, that a similar model couldn't be extrapolated to a more successful standard.

Like I said, pipe dream potentially but wouldn't it make for a better feeling as a supporter if we were successful and ran in this way (big if, I get it!!) 

But it's an equally big if being managed at consistent and large losses buying expensive ageing players on large wages with no sell on value?

Guest LondonOwl313
On 22/05/2020 at 12:29, scram said:

I know exactly what would happen 

People would get fed up of finishing around 12th in the premier every year - they'd be pining for an exciting promotion race in the championship or people sayimng the owner had taken as far as he can so he needs to sell up so we can move to the next level

The reality is that teams rarely stand still and finish in the same position year after year. What makes sport exciting is that things can change and it’s unpredictable. So it comes in waves and you’re either moving forward or backwards. We basically moved forward every year 2011 to 2017 and now we’re in a backward cycle. The pigs have moved forward rapidly and right now it’s hard to envisage it falling apart and I’m sure some of their fans are going to extrapolate out and imagine champions league football. But reality is they will find top 8 hard to sustain and they’ll do well to stay up every year for the next 5

So I guess as a fan we should always want more and want to improve year on year. But from time to time we will regress as it’s the nature of sport

29 minutes ago, Chris Apolon said:

But

Sheffield Wednesday Fans owning Sheffield Wednesday? A typical day on here would tell you it would never ever work 😱

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Sheffield Wednesday Fans owning Sheffield Wednesday? A typical day on here would tell you it would never ever work 😱

It might unite the fanbase?

Actually what am I saying, it would be mayhem if owlstalk is anything to go by! 

Like a primary school disco where one set won't talk to the other set until boom boom boom comes on the turntables

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, Chris Apolon said:

Would it though? We don't know the ins and outs of the business model. Works in Germany and Exeter could be promoted and run at an operating profit with a far smaller fan base and revenue stream.

There is no reason to think that with our average attendance bringing a decent revenue in, added to a larger catchment area than the west country for young players, that a similar model couldn't be extrapolated to a more successful standard.

Like I said, pipe dream potentially but wouldn't it make for a better feeling as a supporter if we were successful and ran in this way (big if, I get it!!) 

But it's an equally big if being managed at consistent and large losses buying expensive ageing players on large wages with no sell on value?

Pipe dream and we will never ever compete as the rest of the clubs will be owned by wealthy individuals/consortium so if you want to watch 3rd division football forever then that ownership model is the way forward. 

I however don't and the last time the fans had shares that ended really well at S6 didn't it.

Guest timrud

You just have to look at some of the toxic power hungry people involved with fan groups that had shares in the past to see what a bad idea it would be