Mike Ashley

Guest Ash76

This is the reality of modern football. We are just play toys for rich business men who have zero interest in the teams history, heritage and importance to the fans. 

In many ways I wish clubs were part fan owned like Barcelona and elected presidents. The governing body does little to protect clubs from dodgy owners but are quick to throw the hammer down when clubs start struggling. 

As for Ashley maybe it is a case of better the devil you know. Can’t see us having any kind of success for years unless a massive change of attitude and business planning is forthcoming. 

So I have been asked about Steve Bruce’s tenure.

My opinion does far is he’s been massively lucky.

For a large part of the season it has been down to the training methods installed in players around him and individual brilliance that has saved him.

Under Rafa if we did lose a game, we weren’t really hammered, we were usually in most games. Under Bruce we have started to get hammered in games again.

We are the worst of one of the worst in the league for things like chances created, goals scored, possession etc.

There has been times when we have been massively lucky, for example in February we were getting beat 2-0 by Everton in the 92nd minute. We had not been in the game at all and the score line could have been higher. Somehow Everton bottles it and we ended up drawing 2-2. A few days earlier we played Chelsea, should have lost the game, we scored a winner in the last minute.

Against your rivals Sheffield United, we weren’t at our best, and they incorrectly stopped play and we scored to make it 2-0, thanks to VAR the goal was allowed. Had we not got that 2nd goal then no doubt we would have allowed them back in the game.

There seems to be no plan under him.

In saying this though, luck or not, it looks like we will be safe this, and compare that to what our expectation were, that’s great. Long term I doubt he’d be able to push us forward in the league assuming that’s what our prospective new owners will want, however he deserves to see this season out.

As for the dead pigeon, I don’t/didn’t sit at that end of the ground, haven’t sat there since before Ashley came to the club. I’d like to say it’s gone, but anytime I ask people insist it’s still there. I haven’t seen proof though, so I think they are just on the windup now.

As for some of you saying you’d still take Ashley and he’s be better than your current owner. As I have said it’s not my place for me to say what you would and wouldn’t take and who would or wouldn’t be better for you.

All I can do is give an inside perspective from our fans and hopefully that gives you a bit of context to him.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

This is the reality of modern football. We are just play toys for rich business men who have zero interest in the teams history, heritage and importance to the fans. 

In many ways I wish clubs were part fan owned like Barcelona and elected presidents. The governing body does little to protect clubs from dodgy owners but are quick to throw the hammer down when clubs start struggling. 

As for Ashley maybe it is a case of better the devil you know. Can’t see us having any kind of success for years unless a massive change of attitude and business planning is forthcoming. 

I know some people who were heavily involved in the protests against him and went to a few of their meetings.

The protestors and official supporters group were very much involved in attempted changes with the FA about ownership, most interestingly fan ownership. They have found ways in which fans can fund and gain funding for owning their club through some sort of community asset funding.

Unfortunately all the help in the world isn’t enough to find a fan based takeover of Premier League clubs, but the ground work is there for clubs further down the pyramid. I was actually having this same conversation with a Sunderland supporting friend of mine a couple of weeks ago and urged him/their supporters to look into it.

Alongside that, one of our main protestors is actually high up in the policies department for Labour, and he was able to put in a proposed fan ownership offer to supporters during takeovers in their manifesto. That actually being implemented had they won is another thing though.

• Like 1

Guest Grandad

Not read any of the big long explanation

But stand by every word of my "I'd take him over Chansiri" statement

Although to be fair I'd take David Icke over him too

Coronavirus: David Icke's 'lunatic conspiracy theory' interview ...

21 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

He wouldn't run us into the ground, take us backwards or spend a fortune we don't have.

Ashley knows what he is doing and has proved it.

Ashley has run Newcastle in to the ground and taken them backwards! They were playing in Europe the season before he took over, and under his watch they’ve been relegated twice. I disagree that he knows what he’s doing in terms of running a football club — he knows how to make himself rich and he’s obviously very good at that, but I don’t want him anywhere near my club. 

I’m in no way, shape or form a fan of DC and can’t/won’t defend his record because he’s clearly got no clue how to run a football club properly and we’ve covered his mismanagement at length on this forum previously. That doesn’t mean that I want us to jump into bed with Ashley and his dodgy mates though

Guest Grez Bez

I'd like Ashley take over whilst moving his Fraser's Group office to Central Sheffield.

Win/win

I'm not anti DC but don't think we are going anywhere 

Love him or hate him it could be argued that Ashley knows how to run a football club. Newcastle will never win the EPL unless there's a perfect storm like Leicester. They might creep.in to a euro spot but other than that it's mid-table security so he makes sure they do enough to get that mid-table slot. To take on the likes of the big 4 he would have to spend megabucks with no guarantee of success.

Edited by darra

It's interesting that someone in a better position to know than most on here has taken the trouble to compile an extremely long and detailed post about why having Mike Ashley as owner might bring some regrettable developments and there has been almost no attempt to refute any of it, yet some are still in complete support of him. One admitted not bothering to read it, but I suspect there are plenty more.

It continues to fascinate me that people will form extremely strong and potentially far-reaching opinions whilst attempting to make a virtue of the fact that alternative views can be dismissed with nothing more than a 'meh'. Apparently it is more important to be seen defending your original stance vigorously than it is to be reaching an informed, logical conclusion that is open to mitigation as and when it becomes available.

The consensus is that having briefly flirted with a success that may have been rather fortunate, Chansiri has made a real mess of the club's situation with little or no long-term planning and it will take some time to recover; assuming he is open to learning some of the lessons of the last four years. But that is not justification for accepting anyone. Fans have almost no leverage when it comes to the boardroom. You can't get listless a year later and demand a change of chairman in the same way that some fans are borderline addicted to doing for managers and players. Newcastle are consistently under-achieving for a club of their size and resources and there's no way our supporters would be satisfied for very long with that kind of inertia, even if it looks appealing right now in our current shambles. And that's before you get into some of the issues considered in that post by bigchrisfgb or others.

48 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

It continues to fascinate me that people will form extremely strong and potentially far-reaching opinions whilst attempting to make a virtue of the fact that alternative views can be dismissed with nothing more than a 'meh'. Apparently it is more important to be seen defending your original stance vigorously than it is to be reaching an informed, logical conclusion that is open to mitigation as and when it becomes available.

“Faced with a choice between changing one’s mind and proving there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy with the proof.” - J.K. Galbraith

16 minutes ago, dr. benway said:

“Faced with a choice between changing one’s mind and proving there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy with the proof.” - J.K. Galbraith

Is President Trump a cause of this kind of attitude, or a result of it?

27 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Is President Trump a cause of this kind of attitude, or a result of it?

Given the age of the quote versus the age of the presidency I'll go with the latter... even Tolstoy was complaining about this too:

“The most difficult subjects can be explained to the most slow-witted man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.”

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dr. benway said:

Given the age of the quote versus the age of the presidency I'll go with the latter... even Tolstoy was complaining about this too:

“The most difficult subjects can be explained to the most slow-witted man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.”

You're wasted here.

:biggrin:

• Haha 1