Mike Ashley

Guest Ash76

9 hours ago, deaks1984 said:

The fact that any Wednesdayite is calling for this lobber truly astounds me. I do begin to question my faith.

Personally feel it’s more to do with wanting Chansiri out than particularly wanting Ashley in. 

When you’re a football supporter there’s a few things you’d like, be it entertaining football, successful football, fair ticket prices, plans for the future, decent players, respected manager, stadium improvements, balanced books, hope etc.  Right now we have nothing to like about life under Chansiri. 

Edited by Owls-Fan
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Personally feel it’s more to do with wanting Chansiri out than particularly wanting Ashley in. 

When you’re a football supporter there’s a few things you’d like, be it entertaining football, successful football, fair ticket prices, plans for the future, decent players, respected manager, stadium improvements, balanced books, hope etc.  Right now we have nothing to like about life under Chansiri. 

Exactly.

For me, we are not likely to move forward under Chansiri. He’s done ‘his’ best, but I’m inclined to let someone else have a go. 
Ashley is a devisive figure, but he has steadied the ship at Newcastle. The fact that their fans have unrealistic expectations is not his fault. 
Whether it’s Ashley or someone else, we need to move forward.

11 hours ago, TINKERBELL said:

The only thing chairman of football clubs are interested in is money. 

Unless you have a fan of the club willing to put millions in and no reward 

Isn't that what we've got with DC?

At least we cant fault him for spending, in fact overspendining (unwisely in some instances) more the issue.

Edited by striker

11 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

They couldn't finish in the top 20 because they got relegated under Ashley - something that was hardly ever a possibility in the years before he invested. 

Ashley took over in 2007, which mega rich owners are you talking about that resulted in Newcastle dropping from a regular top 8 side to a side relegated twice in less than 10 seasons?  

so, under Ashley they went up as champions twice in a few years, I have never seen Wednesday do that in 47 years

• Like 1

I genuinely think there is something in this. Apart from all the off field sh!t, it won’t have gone unnoticed that over the next 12-18 months this squad of players can be completely changed by around 90% and in this current climate, I’m sure that would appeal to someone like Mike Ashley.

1 hour ago, Rogers said:

The fact that this Mike Ashley thread is still going and reached 27 pages indicates   how bad a job DC is making of being chairman 

Just clinging on to the small glimmer of hope that one day he’ll sell up and leave us before he does any more damage

14 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

It's better than we have now so why not.

On what basis is it better than what we have?

I know Chansiri has made some mistakes but I think you should be really careful what you wish for. 

To be fair, in my opinion, had Chansiri taken over Newcastle when Ashley did, I doubt they'd ever have been relegated and would have probably challenged for trophy's and Europe on a regular basis. Even with Chansiri's crap advisors.

Newcastle have probably got the best fans in England. They remain as one through the good and bad.

With the resources at his disposal Ashley has made a joke out of that club and the fans all agree. Newcastle fans aren't stupid, they don't expect their club to win the Premier League every season, but they know they should be challenging top 6 consistently.

Anyone thinking Ashley would walk in here with the problems our club has and save the day is probably barking up the wrong tree (in my opinion).

Newcastle have seen 25% increases in their season tickets recently too, so don't think he'd be dropping ours anytime soon. 

In fact just to try and emphasize the points I'm trying to make, just have a read of this....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8230429/amp/Newcastle-United-existed-simply-make-Mike-Ashleys-retail-empire-profitable.html

I know it's the Daily Fail (the tabloid equivalent of HITC). But it's not as if these stories haven't been published elsewhere etc.

If you want to know how it feels to be a supporter of a club ran by Mike Ashley, head over to YouTube and search for True Geordie (Brian Davis). I've been listening to his podcasts for years. Although it's his club and has black and white specs on, I feel most of his views are quite well balanced, but one thing's for sure, he and the rest of Toon hate Ashley.

2 hours ago, Owls-Fan said:

I agree but I don't believe Ashley would be a suitable replacement, but that's just my opinion. Just because a lot of people seem to want Chansiri out, I don't think they should be looking at Ashley just because he may be in the market to buy a club.

On 08/05/2020 at 12:14, deaks1984 said:

Newcastle have probably got the best fans in England. They remain as one through the good and bad.

I remember them getting less than 15000, they are as fickle as the rest - it's just the majority of the last 20 years has been kind to them. Pre Keegan they were struggled to turn up.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

I remember them getting less than 15000, they are as fickle as the rest - it's just the majority of the last 20 years has been kind to them. Pre Keegan they were struggled to turn up.

Yeh it's a myth. Huge catchment area too.

5 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

That’s going back a long time. Something drew it all together in the late 80s/early 90s and it’s stuck. It would be interesting to see how many they got if they stopped in the EFL for more than a season but their gates and fan/commercial income in the championship was unreal.

Whilst Wednesday created United and we saw the likes of Barnsley and Rotherham, Doncaster and Chesterfield in the area, Newcastle voted Gateshead out the league and only really have Sunderland for company until you get to Carlisle or Middlesbrough. They have such a large area to draw from and they only need a small percentage of that. The mackems seem to have lost a fair few fans with only 20odd thousand in there now.

I often wonder what Wednesday would have been as a one club city. 

6 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Yeh it's a myth. Huge catchment area too.

its not a myth. They like a handful of others have really good vocal fans and I usually find they are quick to praise the likes of Wednesdays following and others. Other clubs get insecure about them.

1 minute ago, Bluesteel said:

Something drew it all together in the late 80s/early 90s and it’s stuck

Look at their attendances when Ozzie Ardiles had them their attendances were poor. As I said the majority of the last 20 years have been kind to them.

With regards a one team city in Sheffield the attendances would be over 40k each week

7 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

Look at their attendances when Ozzie Ardiles had them their attendances were poor. As I said the majority of the last 20 years have been kind to them.

With regards a one team city in Sheffield the attendances would be over 40k each week

Im not desputing their 1980s attendance but I don’t think it would drop that low now. The geordies are obsessed with it as are folk in Sheffield and I think there’s huge similarities. These are good things compared to true plastic fans elsewhere

1 minute ago, Bluesteel said:

Im not desputing their 1980s attendance but I don’t think it would drop that low now. The geordies are obsessed with it as are folk in Sheffield and I think there’s huge similarities. These are good things compared to true plastic fans elsewhere

If they were in the dumps believe me it would drop low - The last 20 years have been kind hence the huge crowds they get. You have alluded to Sunderland as well and when they play well they will get 40k a game but their current problems are well documented as are ours.

10 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

I agree football fans in general are a fickle bunch but still...

Looking through attendances historically they had a decline in attendances during the mid to late 80's, which coincides with the drop in UK average football attendances in general. They still averaged over 21k at their low point.

They recently averaged over 50k in the Championship. 

If you go to Newcastle there's hardly a soul who isn't willing to talk about football and Newcastle United. 

The football club is the lifeblood of the City, there won't be too many other cities in the UK where football is so important.

2 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

If they were in the dumps believe me it would drop low - The last 20 years have been kind hence the huge crowds they get. You have alluded to Sunderland as well and when they play well they will get 40k a game but their current problems are well documented as are ours.

I live and work in the area and they consider their current attendances absolute rubbish because of ashley. Lots staying away and totally fed up. They might lose a few more if they stayed down but I think they’d still have the highest attendances in this league between 30-40k.