Mike Ashley

Guest Ash76

Just now, Royal_D said:

There both very successful businessman who both don’t belong in Football 

What’s MA achieved at Newcastle !!?  Really ? Spoke to any Toon fans ? Met many that think he belongs in football ? 

I would guess that the percentage of fans that like there owners would be in single figures …….he's achieved nothing of note  at Newcastle but if he got us to were they are then that nothing would do us fine …..one thing I do know he wouldn't be taking advice from  faceless  agents .

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

Well yeah, I'm a fan rather than an owner like most of us on here and while a positive bank balance for our club would be great, results on the field is what we look at. 

Newcastle weren't going bust before he took over and were competitive in the top 6 of the Premier League at times, they made a lot more money under Ashley, thanks largely to the TV boom which had nothing to do with his ownership, but became a team happy to avoid relegation and failed at that twice.

It literally does not matter one jot what points you make about league positions, relegations, promotions etc 

As he walks away from Newcastle he will be simply looking at :

A) I managed to make significant money from my time there
B) I owned a football club (huge bonus vanity points for that)

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

It literally does not matter one jot what points you make about league positions, relegations, promotions etc 

As he walks away from Newcastle he will be simply looking at :

A) I managed to make significant money from my time there
B) I owned a football club (huge bonus vanity points for that)

Yes but back to the point of the thread - would he be a good owner for us - from a fans perspective - the evidence does not point towards that as he has never taken over a Championship club that loses huge amount of money and he has taken his current club backwards in terms of results.

If the thread was about does Mike Ashley make money from football then you might have a point but that isn't what we are debating is it?

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

You want that to be one of the qualifications of a new owner?

You are critical of our current owner for spending too much but the owner you are singing the praises of felt the need to spend £112M on wages to get out of this division.

9 minutes ago, torryowl said:

I would guess that the percentage of fans that like there owners would be in single figures …….he's achieved nothing of note  at Newcastle but if he got us to were they are then that nothing would do us fine …..one thing I do know he wouldn't be taking advice from  faceless  agents .

He hasn’t exactly taken Newcastle from an average championship club who’s been out the prem 20yr to a steady PL club though has he ?    How many times have they been relegated on his watch ? 

Don’t dispute he’s made a few quid out of them, and knows how to run a business , but Football he does not know about and has achieved absolutely nothing in a football sense at Newcastle United 

Just now, Royal_D said:

Don’t dispute he’s made a few quid out of them, and knows how to run a business , but Football he does not know about and has achieved absolutely nothing in a football sense at Newcastle United 

I think what you've seen at Newcastle is an owner wanting to float in the Premier League without really going for it and spending big with no guarantees that it will bring success.

He's recruited some great managers and some that didn't work along the way

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

I think what you've seen at Newcastle is an owner wanting to float in the Premier League without really going for it and spending big with no guarantees that it will bring success.

He's recruited some great managers and some that didn't work along the way

Shame he floated to the championship then innit ,  twice ?   

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

*buys club*

*floats around between Premier League and Championship*

*makes SHEDLOADS of money*

*walks away*

Brilliant,  sounds like a really great potential owner 

1 minute ago, Royal_D said:

Brilliant,  sounds like a really great potential owner 

I'm not suggesting that would make a great owner for us by the way, just possibly (and most likely) how Ashley would view his time overall.

As it happens most football chairmen would love that to be them. Let's not get blinded by the fact that they're all vain businessmen wanting to own clubs and made prrrrrrrrrofits

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Newcastle United league position in the 12 seasons prior to Mike Ashley:

13th, 7th, 14th, 5th, 3rd, 4th, 11th, 11th, 13th, 13th, 2nd, 2nd. Average League position = 8th

Newcastle United league position in the 12 seasons under Mike Ashley:

12th, 18th, 21st, 12th, 5th, 16th, 10th, 15th, 18th, 21st, 10th, 13th. Average League position = 14th.

When he sells he will have made a few bob out of them though.  

This isn't right though is it? When you say 21st you mean first in the championship so the average is completely different. Also, the 12 years before Ashley were before the mega rich owners came in. Newcastle were one of the big fish then. 

11 minutes ago, beef said:

This isn't right though is it? When you say 21st you mean first in the championship so the average is completely different. Also, the 12 years before Ashley were before the mega rich owners came in. Newcastle were one of the big fish then. 

They couldn't finish in the top 20 because they got relegated under Ashley - something that was hardly ever a possibility in the years before he invested. 

Ashley took over in 2007, which mega rich owners are you talking about that resulted in Newcastle dropping from a regular top 8 side to a side relegated twice in less than 10 seasons?  

57 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Really?

Where did I say that?

You aren't critical of the way the current owner has managed the finances of the club?

Edited by Guest