DC tried, got very close, but failed. If possible, he and we need an exit strategy, and this one seems as good as any. Ashley is a character, but has run a successful business before, and will have learnt from his time at Newcastle. 

We should film the negotiations for PPV. DC v Ashley is worth £20 of anyone’s money. 

1 minute ago, vulva said:

DC tried, got very close, but failed. If possible, he and we need an exit strategy, and this one seems as good as any. Ashley is a character, but has run a successful business before, and will have learnt from his time at Newcastle. 

We should film the negotiations for PPV. DC v Ashley is worth £20 of anyone’s money. 

It would drag on for ages, could call it Courts Direct.

Not a great advert for Chansiri if Mike Ashley is seen as the solution. 

Does Mike Ashley own a taxi firm? If not, he's simply not got the requisite skills to run a football club.

• Haha 5

Bastrds.

Just completed my 17 page search for hard evidence that there may be some truth in this rumour then some conker started page 18.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kingsidney said:

He’s added 200 million to Newcastle’s value. Chansiri has done the opposite here. 

Not really fair that.

Simply being in the premier league with the tv deal about ten years later increases the value of newcastle doesnt it? They were relegated twice under Ashley which threatened the value of the club, conversely their commercial activities are very good (a trait of Newcastle itself as a club I’m not sure it could be replicated here) and he stopped the overspend under Shepherd which was terminal. 

Chansiri came very close to getting Wednesday to that sort of value. I would imagine if he sold us now it would be for at least the same that he paid for it if not more. 

I know we have had some serious issues recently regarding the decision making but at least we have an owner who puts his money where his mouth is. If he hadn’t then we’d have gone bust.

5 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I would imagine if he sold us now it would be for at least the same that he paid for it if not more. 

The issue then is what happens to the money the club owes him plus the status of Hillsborough.

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, vulva said:

DC tried, got very close, but failed. If possible, he and we need an exit strategy

Yep, bang on. For the last 3yrs we've faced the consequences of falling short those first 2 seasons. My biggest concern is DC not learning from his mistakes and continuing to make a hash of it.

We all know the average age of our squad is way too high around 28/29, yet last summer we didn't sign a single player under 25 on a permanent basis. Börner, Harris, Odubajo, and Luongo all 26-28. I tried to recall how many players we've actually signed permanently under 25 during DC's 5 seasons. Joao, Reach, Fox, and Iorfa are the only names that came to mind - unless I've missed any? That's 4 in 5yrs, Iorfa being the only one for 3yrs. Nicht güt.

after thought: van Aken.

Edited by wilyfox

1 hour ago, soldierboyblue said:

Newcastle weren't exactly on their knees when he bought them - Sir John Hall and his family were not skint

Fair point, they certainly wanted out though. Was thinking more about the brands he acquired for Sports Direct etc.

I'm also suspicious of someone both Newcastle fans and sports direct shareholders dont want involved in their respective organisations. 

4 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

The issue then is what happens to the money the club owes him plus the status of Hillsborough.

I think that would be part of the package DC would be foolish to make it otherwise.

3 minutes ago, striker said:

Fair point, they certainly wanted out though. Was thinking more about the brands he acquired for Sports Direct etc.

I'm also suspicious of someone both Newcastle fans and sports direct shareholders dont want involved in their respective organisations. 

We are suspicious of DC as well because we don't know where is personal wealth and value has come from. We can spin it anyway we like but Ashley is a hugely successful businessman who may not do everything to everyone's liking but what successful business people do?

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

I think that would be part of the package DC would be foolish to make it otherwise.

In which case he's going to need a lot more than he paid for us which was about £37m I believe. Per the 2018 accounts the club owes him double that - although he in turn owes us a sizeable wedge for Hillsborough. 

Edited by rickygoo

Would be very happy to see Chansiri move on, but not to be replaced by Ashley.  Would rather stay in Championship / League One than succeed with Ashley in charge.  The club should have some standards and I’m not that desperate for success - as I’ve said on a few occasions in the past, it’s only a game.

15 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Yep, bang on. For the last 3yrs we've faced the consequences of falling short those first 2 seasons. My biggest concern is DC not learning from his mistakes and continuing to make a hash of it.

We all know the average age of our squad is way too high around 28/29, yet last summer we didn't sign a single player under 25 on a permanent basis. Börner, Harris, Odubajo, and Luongo all 26-28. I tried to recall how many players we've actually signed permanently under 25 during DC's 5 seasons. Joao, Reach, Fox, and Iorfa are the only names that came to mind - unless I've missed any? That's 4 in 5yrs, Iorfa being the only one for 3yrs. Nicht güt.

after thought: van Aken.

Our recruitment policy since DC took over is a blue print that every club should follow for how NOT to do it

3 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

In which case he's going to need a lot more than he paid for us which was about £37m I believe. Per the 2018 accounts the club owes him double that - although he in turn us a sizeable wedge for Hillsborough. 

He's already stated that he has turned down substantial bids so the ball park would be up near £100m I should think

Just now, soldierboyblue said:

He's already stated that he has turned down substantial bids so the ball park would be up near £100m I should think

So a club that's in the same position as it was when he bought it, albeit with a big telly and a better pitch, has nearly tripled in value? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sweetsheri said:

Our recruitment policy since DC took over is a blue print that every club should follow for how NOT to do it

To be fair, in first year there were more hits than misses. We got within one win of a return to the prem. That's pretty good going at the first attempt. Recruitment that followed has been a disaster. 

6 minutes ago, Steve Down South said:

Would be very happy to see Chansiri move on, but not to be replaced by Ashley.  Would rather stay in Championship / League One than succeed with Ashley in charge.  The club should have some standards and I’m not that desperate for success - as I’ve said on a few occasions in the past, it’s only a game.

Any particular reason, just seems a bit of a silly statement.

2 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

So a club that's in the same position as it was when he bought it, albeit with a big telly and a better pitch, has nearly tripled in value? 

As you know value is what someone is willing to pay. I am not saying he is going to get it but it's like the value of your house etc. He inherited the debt from MM also which is something he has said he won't pass on.

Big business sales are never black and white and there are hundreds of moving parts to be taken into account when attributing assets and valuations to them 

5 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

It's the big telly that swings it for me!!