1 minute ago, TheEnchanter said:

Can't believe we were 3rd ffs. What an absolute disaster this year has been. 

It’s not normal how we imploded. Completely lost it. 

Third at Christmas is usually an indication you’ll be there or there abouts come the end of the season. 

31 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

It’s not normal how we imploded. Completely lost it. 

Third at Christmas is usually an indication you’ll be there or there abouts come the end of the season. 

And this is exactly why there are question marks over Monk’s ability to take us forward. Collapses like the one we’ve had aren’t normal.

7 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

And this is exactly why there are question marks over Monk’s ability to take us forward. Collapses like the one we’ve had aren’t normal.

So it would be good to know exactly why this happened... must be more to it

2 minutes ago, nbupperthongowl said:

So it would be good to know exactly why this happened... must be more to it

It seemed to happen after he gave them Christmas Day off? Why that may have upset the apple cart is bizarre in the extreme?

25 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Tbh we were lucky to be third, our performances had not warranted our position.

If we went into the Prem then Cam Dawson would need a back support to assist picking the ball out of the net every 2-3 minutes. 

The thought of Cam Dawson in the Premier League would give me grave nightmares. 

I hear the EFL want the league to start on 6th June and are aiming for that. 

14 minutes ago, Big Jack said:

Tbh we were lucky to be third, our performances had not warranted our position.

a bit of this yeah. Think, all the while Monk carried on the work of Bruce and Bullen, we were organised and effective, if not inspirational, but as soon as he tried to implement his own ideas, things fell apart

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

True, but next year’s Prem team:-

New

New Iorfa New New

New Bannan New New

Fletcher New

Yep, but with 150m in DC s back pocket could gamble again or clear all our debts and liabilities and start afresh.

21 minutes ago, Brad_owl said:

If we went into the Prem then Cam Dawson would need a back support to assist picking the ball out of the net every 2-3 minutes. 

The thought of Cam Dawson in the Premier League would give me grave nightmares. 

I hear the EFL want the league to start on 6th June and are aiming for that. 

Good to hear that the EFL know more about this than other countries like the French, Belgian etc..... good to know that we are in safe hands!!

• Haha 1

It is perfectly clear that whatever started happening last December was much more than the manager deciding that a couple of players were done here or that he wanted an extra man in midfield or whatever. Of course, those who are foaming at the mouth desperate for major overhauls every three weeks will go through the usual tiresome routine of blaming him for absolutely everything, discrediting the tiniest positive as nothing to do with him and shamelessly making stuff up in order to make things look even worse than they already are. We've seen this on such a regular basis in recent years and you see it in endless situations elsewhere too, not just in sports.

That's not to say Monk is blameless or that we couldn't be better off with someone else. I'm utterly ambivalent about replacing him as all I care about is what is best for the team and something has clearly gone severely wrong, but I suspect there are several factors, some of which are out of his scope of influence. Unless we get clarity about that (which is obviously unlikely) then the guesswork and scapegoating seems rather silly to me for the most part. Largely it's just a mob wanting someone to kick around the town square to make themselves feel better rather than actually addressing the root causes. I could perhaps take it more seriously if it weren't so Pavlov's Dogs predictable.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

It is perfectly clear that whatever started happening last December was much more than the manager deciding that a couple of players were done here or that he wanted an extra man in midfield or whatever. Of course, those who are foaming at the mouth desperate for major overhauls every three weeks will go through the usual tiresome routine of blaming him for absolutely everything, discrediting the tiniest positive as nothing to do with him and shamelessly making stuff up in order to make things look even worse than they already are. We've seen this on such a regular basis in recent years and you see it in endless situations elsewhere too, not just in sports.

That's not to say Monk is blameless or that we couldn't be better off with someone else. I'm utterly ambivalent about replacing him as all I care about is what is best for the team and something has clearly gone severely wrong, but I suspect there are several factors, some of which are out of his scope of influence. Unless we get clarity about that (which is obviously unlikely) then the guesswork and scapegoating seems rather silly to me for the most part. Largely it's just a mob wanting someone to kick around the town square to make themselves feel better rather than actually addressing the root causes. I could perhaps take it more seriously if it weren't so Pavlov's Dogs predictable.

What we are talking about here, is an on field performances and results For the life of me, I can’t imagine what external factors would induce such a complete collapse in form. If there had been something that catastrophic, surely some journalist would have got wind of it? 

Edited by gurujuan

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

Some really good points there DJM

I'm very confident this will happen and we'll be moved back into 3rd spot ... And then the day after deducted 12 points and back to mid-table lol

The joys of being an owl :duntmatter:

18 hours ago, ChapSmurf said:

Yeah but surely we can swap Brentford for L**ds?

Swop Fulham for Leeds 

The daft thing is settling at the mid way point isn't actually that inconceivable when compared with the other options. Actually ticks a few boxes in terms of fairness. 

I don't think it will happen though.

1 hour ago, nickswfc said:

The daft thing is settling at the mid way point isn't actually that inconceivable when compared with the other options. Actually ticks a few boxes in terms of fairness. 

I don't think it will happen though.

I posted the following in the Waddle thread;

One interesting opinion I saw mooted was for the current season to be rolled into next. The top club's would have their head start with the strugglers starting a full season of fixtures conversely handicapped. I don't know about its practicality but it has a hint of fairness that I've not seen otherwise suggested. 

I don't think this will happen either but interesting thought.

Trying to do anything that means "this season" finishes beyond the 30th June is nonsense and totally corrupts the season

If it cannot be concluded by the end of June then by far the least worst option is to void the season

11 minutes ago, scram said:

Trying to do anything that means "this season" finishes beyond the 30th June is nonsense and totally corrupts the season

If it cannot be concluded by the end of June then by far the least worst option is to void the season

Yes I 100% agree but there seems to be a determination to finish it. I really can't see it but my post above was just musing about the second least worst option.

Playing games behind closed doors, as a televised spactacle, will damage the brand. I think both EPL and EFL would be very unwise to risk it.

There may be an opportunity due to this calamity to get football back where it belongs, under the one umbrella but without all the stuffed shirts of the past.

A complete overhaul with players and  fans more involved.

Retiring players must be encouraged to solve our refereeing crisis by giving a few years service back to the game. Well meaning amateurs who have never played at the highest level is not the way to go. All players tied to PAYE this scandal must end.