Ligue 1

31 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

It’s not normal how we imploded. Completely lost it. 

Third at Christmas is usually an indication you’ll be there or there abouts come the end of the season. 

And this is exactly why there are question marks over Monk’s ability to take us forward. Collapses like the one we’ve had aren’t normal.

2 minutes ago, nbupperthongowl said:

So it would be good to know exactly why this happened... must be more to it

It seemed to happen after he gave them Christmas Day off? Why that may have upset the apple cart is bizarre in the extreme?

25 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

And this is exactly why there are question marks over Monk’s ability to take us forward. Collapses like the one we’ve had aren’t normal.

Tbh we were lucky to be third, our performances had not warranted our position.

If we went into the Prem then Cam Dawson would need a back support to assist picking the ball out of the net every 2-3 minutes. 

The thought of Cam Dawson in the Premier League would give me grave nightmares. 

I hear the EFL want the league to start on 6th June and are aiming for that. 

14 minutes ago, Big Jack said:

Tbh we were lucky to be third, our performances had not warranted our position.

a bit of this yeah. Think, all the while Monk carried on the work of Bruce and Bullen, we were organised and effective, if not inspirational, but as soon as he tried to implement his own ideas, things fell apart

21 minutes ago, Brad_owl said:

If we went into the Prem then Cam Dawson would need a back support to assist picking the ball out of the net every 2-3 minutes. 

The thought of Cam Dawson in the Premier League would give me grave nightmares. 

I hear the EFL want the league to start on 6th June and are aiming for that. 

Good to hear that the EFL know more about this than other countries like the French, Belgian etc..... good to know that we are in safe hands!!

• Haha 1

It is perfectly clear that whatever started happening last December was much more than the manager deciding that a couple of players were done here or that he wanted an extra man in midfield or whatever. Of course, those who are foaming at the mouth desperate for major overhauls every three weeks will go through the usual tiresome routine of blaming him for absolutely everything, discrediting the tiniest positive as nothing to do with him and shamelessly making stuff up in order to make things look even worse than they already are. We've seen this on such a regular basis in recent years and you see it in endless situations elsewhere too, not just in sports.

That's not to say Monk is blameless or that we couldn't be better off with someone else. I'm utterly ambivalent about replacing him as all I care about is what is best for the team and something has clearly gone severely wrong, but I suspect there are several factors, some of which are out of his scope of influence. Unless we get clarity about that (which is obviously unlikely) then the guesswork and scapegoating seems rather silly to me for the most part. Largely it's just a mob wanting someone to kick around the town square to make themselves feel better rather than actually addressing the root causes. I could perhaps take it more seriously if it weren't so Pavlov's Dogs predictable.

18 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

It is perfectly clear that whatever started happening last December was much more than the manager deciding that a couple of players were done here or that he wanted an extra man in midfield or whatever. Of course, those who are foaming at the mouth desperate for major overhauls every three weeks will go through the usual tiresome routine of blaming him for absolutely everything, discrediting the tiniest positive as nothing to do with him and shamelessly making stuff up in order to make things look even worse than they already are. We've seen this on such a regular basis in recent years and you see it in endless situations elsewhere too, not just in sports.

That's not to say Monk is blameless or that we couldn't be better off with someone else. I'm utterly ambivalent about replacing him as all I care about is what is best for the team and something has clearly gone severely wrong, but I suspect there are several factors, some of which are out of his scope of influence. Unless we get clarity about that (which is obviously unlikely) then the guesswork and scapegoating seems rather silly to me for the most part. Largely it's just a mob wanting someone to kick around the town square to make themselves feel better rather than actually addressing the root causes. I could perhaps take it more seriously if it weren't so Pavlov's Dogs predictable.

What we are talking about here, is an on field performances and results For the life of me, I can’t imagine what external factors would induce such a complete collapse in form. If there had been something that catastrophic, surely some journalist would have got wind of it? 

Edited by gurujuan

Trying to do anything that means "this season" finishes beyond the 30th June is nonsense and totally corrupts the season

If it cannot be concluded by the end of June then by far the least worst option is to void the season

There may be an opportunity due to this calamity to get football back where it belongs, under the one umbrella but without all the stuffed shirts of the past.

A complete overhaul with players and  fans more involved.

Retiring players must be encouraged to solve our refereeing crisis by giving a few years service back to the game. Well meaning amateurs who have never played at the highest level is not the way to go. All players tied to PAYE this scandal must end.