Jump to content
Hougoumont

Would You Make a Good Chairman?

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, Willow Owl said:

15th, 14th, 9th, 6th,7th,16th,12th. Never got past 3rd round in either cup.
 Not exactly a rip roaring success.

Cannot post Monks position as yet to complete a season With us. However In his first season with Swansea he kept them up and managed them in Europe. Next Full season he took Swansea to 8th. Was sacked next season with Swansea in 15th. 
Took over at Leeds and guided them to there highest position for years 7th. Regarded as playing best football for years. Resigned after new owner took over. Took over at relegated Boro and all went belly up and left after 6 months.

Went to Birmingham and kept them up then got them to 7th playing good football. Kept them up after points deduction. Was sacked after disagreements with owners selling Jota and other players.

Not exactly a rancid CV. Which is why I would give him the chance to build a squad.

 

Ipswich had a bottom 6 budget when McCarthy managed those league positions. Play-offs once, 7th and 16th the lowest finish not bad in that respect. No coincidence that they finished bottom of the table immediately after he left and were about 15 points behind any chance of staying up.

 

You really have cherry picked good points from Monk's career. 'He was 7th for a bit at Birmingham'! Their finish and points tally even taking last seasons deduction into account will be much the same this season under his assistant and as you say, they had to get rid of players. 

Leeds haven't exactly struggled without him and play far better football now. He had them in and around the play-offs but they blew it in the run in.

He managed Swansea in Europe because the previous manager got them into the competition - Monk got them knocked out, His first full season in charge was a good one, but the following season he was sacked after a run of 1 win in 11.

Middlesbrough got rid and got better, he wasted good money in his short time with them.

 

He has a knack of falling out with owners, players and colleagues and the football I have had to witness for the past 3 months as been as bad as anything I have seen for a long-time, even Jos didn't regularly have us beat before half-time. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, adelphi1867 said:

You was doing alreet up til the last sentence.

What philosophy did Lick-a-ball try to inlstil, other than let the players do what they wanted?.

He was extremely lucky in the fact that he inherited a good squad that was fit and organised, the rest is history.

 

History???...yes, and you've just re-written it.You obviously didn't like his reign but let's keep a sense of perspective shall we? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

 

Ipswich had a bottom 6 budget when McCarthy managed those league positions. Play-offs once, 7th and 16th the lowest finish not bad in that respect. No coincidence that they finished bottom of the table immediately after he left and were about 15 points behind any chance of staying up.

 

You really have cherry picked good points from Monk's career. 'He was 7th for a bit at Birmingham'! Their finish and points tally even taking last seasons deduction into account will be much the same this season under his assistant and as you say, they had to get rid of players. 

Leeds haven't exactly struggled without him and play far better football now. He had them in and around the play-offs but they blew it in the run in.

He managed Swansea in Europe because the previous manager got them into the competition - Monk got them knocked out, His first full season in charge was a good one, but the following season he was sacked after a run of 1 win in 11.

Middlesbrough got rid and got better, he wasted good money in his short time with them.

 

He has a knack of falling out with owners, players and colleagues and the football I have had to witness for the past 3 months as been as bad as anything I have seen for a long-time, even Jos didn't regularly have us beat before half-time. 

 

Cherry picking seems to be common on here.

Where did Leeds finish the season after he left.

Where are Boro now.

Where were Birmingham when he took over.

Yes, I‘ve cherry picked.

You don’t rate him, fair enough. 
Until there’s a viable alternative option, for me, he stays. 
When things get really bad, we can invite Shteve McLaren for another interview.

Or some other cherry picked has been.

 


lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

@KivoOwl @rickygoo would make great chairmen I bet.

 

 

Aw shucks. You’re so kind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With £51.59 in my bank probably not.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, nile said:

With £51.59 in my bank probably not.

Probably more than Dave Allen was prepared to spend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

 

Ipswich had a bottom 6 budget when McCarthy managed those league positions. Play-offs once, 7th and 16th the lowest finish not bad in that respect. No coincidence that they finished bottom of the table immediately after he left and were about 15 points behind any chance of staying up.

 

You really have cherry picked good points from Monk's career. 'He was 7th for a bit at Birmingham'! Their finish and points tally even taking last seasons deduction into account will be much the same this season under his assistant and as you say, they had to get rid of players. 

Leeds haven't exactly struggled without him and play far better football now. He had them in and around the play-offs but they blew it in the run in.

He managed Swansea in Europe because the previous manager got them into the competition - Monk got them knocked out, His first full season in charge was a good one, but the following season he was sacked after a run of 1 win in 11.

Middlesbrough got rid and got better, he wasted good money in his short time with them.

 

He has a knack of falling out with owners, players and colleagues and the football I have had to witness for the past 3 months as been as bad as anything I have seen for a long-time, even Jos didn't regularly have us beat before half-time. 

 

Look, I get you don’t like Monk but you are really clutching at straws trying to big up McCarty. What budget did Monk have at Birmingham and what has he got here. You mention Ipswich without McCarthy and using your philosophy look where Swansea are now. He started the Leeds ball rolling and look where they are now. Boro are worse since he left and Birmingham are no better either.
We are on a poor run but he also guided us to third before that. We are also just about to enter a massive player clear out and maybe that has a lot to with current form.

You can dissect any managerial career to make it look better or worse. I for one want to give him a chance before moving on to the next person to become the regular fans punchbag.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want Monk out ASAP. I didn't want him, got behind him and hoped he would succeed but as I predicted looking at his record the decline happened, only a lot quicker and sharper than I expected. I can only see this getting worse while he us here and should have been replaced a couple of months ago.

 

As for a replacement. Were in a mess, usual requirements are not required. For that reason would I have Bruce back ? Yes I would. He was the right man, did he screw us yes ? but would be still be the right man, yes. Would he come back - probably not.

 

McCarthy, usually not the style of football id want but at this moment were in a mess and in need of a overhaul from someone in the know. McCarthy would be able to do that. So yes from me.

 

Ex Players, yes and no to this but im that convinced that Monk is not the man id be willing to take a chance on one.

 

Jokanovic, Petrescu - Would they come now ? Probably not. Id take them tho.

 

We made a mistake in appointing Monk, we should have gone with Rowett.

 

In all honesty I believe most options would be better than Monk.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Hougoumont said:

 

History???...yes, and you've just re-written it.You obviously didn't like his reign but let's keep a sense of perspective shall we? 

Where have I rewritten history?.

It's fact that Carlos inherited a FIT, WELL ORGANISED  AND DRILLED squad in his 1st season.

The lack of fitness was there for all to see in his 2nd season, + the fact he changed the defence almost every game, mainly to please which ever player complained.

It is a fact that he allowed players to decide if they were fit enough to play and thus played players who were not fit.

Where have I rewritten history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

I want Monk out ASAP. I didn't want him, got behind him and hoped he would succeed but as I predicted looking at his record the decline happened, only a lot quicker and sharper than I expected. I can only see this getting worse while he us here and should have been replaced a couple of months ago.

 

As for a replacement. Were in a mess, usual requirements are not required. For that reason would I have Bruce back ? Yes I would. He was the right man, did he screw us yes ? but would be still be the right man, yes. Would he come back - probably not.

 

McCarthy, usually not the style of football id want but at this moment were in a mess and in need of a overhaul from someone in the know. McCarthy would be able to do that. So yes from me.

 

Ex Players, yes and no to this but im that convinced that Monk is not the man id be willing to take a chance on one.

 

Jokanovic, Petrescu - Would they come now ? Probably not. Id take them tho.

 

We made a mistake in appointing Monk, we should have gone with Rowett.

 

In all honesty I believe most options would be better than Monk.

 

 

Can I ask why Rowett. His CV is hardly brilliant. Spent a fortune at Stoke and made them worse.

When at Derby they dropped from 2nd on a run of 2 wins from 13 games. He also made them one of the oldest sides by his signings. No improvement and probably worse than Monk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Willow Owl said:

Look, I get you don’t like Monk but you are really clutching at straws trying to big up McCarty. What budget did Monk have at Birmingham and what has he got here. You mention Ipswich without McCarthy and using your philosophy look where Swansea are now. He started the Leeds ball rolling and look where they are now. Boro are worse since he left and Birmingham are no better either.
We are on a poor run but he also guided us to third before that. We are also just about to enter a massive player clear out and maybe that has a lot to with current form.

You can dissect any managerial career to make it look better or worse. I for one want to give him a chance before moving on to the next person to become the regular fans punchbag.

 

 

 

Clutching at straws trying to big up McCarthy? He has a far better managerial record than Monk and even his record at Ipswich proves that.

 

The correlation between Ipswich dropping and McCarthy leaving is a direct one. He has with them for 6 seasons and they got relegated finishing way off safety immediately after with a similar squad and budget. 

Monk had a season and a half in charge at Swansea so hardly comparable and they didn't drop immediately after he left. Pulis replaced Monk and Boro and improved their league position in his time there. No surprise they have dropped off under Woodgate. Are you seriously claiming Bielsa's spell at Leeds owes a large chunk to Monk?

 

Yes he started well with us, he started well in most his jobs but for some reason has never lasted long. The last 3 months of football we have played have been by and large embarrassing. 

If he stays on I hope he proves me wrong but I don't see any evidence of how he will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/04/2020 at 13:44, Jaydubz said:

Why have you even made the suggestion: 'Do you want to have Carlos back again?'

 

Why would we want him back???? Baffles me every time someone suggests this!

Well to be fair he was the best manager weve had in recent times by far and playing excellent attractive football before we had a lot of our best players injured.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, pioowl said:

Well to be fair he was the best manager weve had in recent times by far and playing excellent attractive football before we had a lot of our best players injured.

For one season he played attractive football, the second was atrocious but worked. 

 

The rest was dire and culture he created, was toxic and has ruined our club since!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/04/2020 at 16:37, room0035 said:

We are not in the process of rebuilding??

 

We went all or bust for two season with the only plan being promotion now 5 years later we are still in the poo sinking further because of his shockingly bad management of every aspect of the club.

 

What the original posted was saying he is a good owner because he has spent a lot of money - he has lost it all with his shocking business skills and dodgy recruitment.

 

But if we call someone a good owner because they spend money then we have to call Mike Ashley and the Glazers good owners too which they certainly are not.

 

For me a good owner is someone who improve the club. For me Milan was a good owner and the majority of the fan base thought same at the time, he left us with DC though and that could end up being what he is remember for.

 

DC tried to get us promoted and failed and we will be counting the cost of it for at least the next 5-10 years. 

 

So yes my opinion is DC is not a good owner or manager and until he either brings in people who know what they are doing running a football club or he sells up we are only going one way.

If not rebuilding then what are we doing. I believe 14 players are out of contract end of season. 

I think you will find that most owners lose money not make money.
Mike Ashley spend money I think you need to revisit that one. He Only bought Newcastle to promote his companies and then sell the club for a massive profit. The opinion of him in football circles is abysmal.

 

Milan wasn’t a good owner. He Bought a club on brink of extinction( thanks) for next to nothing with the expectation of selling for a massive profit. He invested nothing and was fortunate we got promoted on loans and freebies. He sold us then for a tidy profit.

 

DC tried and failed but 5-10 more years is just scaremongering. What would him selling up currently achieve ?

 

I bet you’re happy for DC to keep pumping money in while we are in this current crisis though ?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing will change until the day layers that have lost interest been here are gone and also monk deserves to have his own team here. Bullen is part of problem too, been here far too long been a bit on the side for past managers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Willow Owl said:

If not rebuilding then what are we doing. I believe 14 players are out of contract end of season. 

I think you will find that most owners lose money not make money.
Mike Ashley spend money I think you need to revisit that one. He Only bought Newcastle to promote his companies and then sell the club for a massive profit. The opinion of him in football circles is abysmal.

 

Milan wasn’t a good owner. He Bought a club on brink of extinction( thanks) for next to nothing with the expectation of selling for a massive profit. He invested nothing and was fortunate we got promoted on loans and freebies. He sold us then for a tidy profit.

 

DC tried and failed but 5-10 more years is just scaremongering. What would him selling up currently achieve ?

 

I bet you’re happy for DC to keep pumping money in while we are in this current crisis though ?

 

 

No in 5 years we have got from a team losing £5m a season sitting in mid table to a team losing £20m a season in midtable, with no home all but a few of the first team squad out of contract in the next 12 months.

 

fans are disappearing in their thousands.

 

simple put if DC keeps doing it his way, we will be relegated and it is how far we fall.

 

this is not scaremongering it's simple reality.

 

Everyone has their own view mine is DC could not run a bath without flooding the house. He needs people who know how to manage and run the club. But he is too stubborn and as such we will continue to fail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Willow Owl said:

 

 

Milan wasn’t a good owner. He Bought a club on brink of extinction( thanks) for next to nothing with the expectation of selling for a massive profit. He invested nothing and was fortunate we got promoted on loans and freebies. He sold us then for a tidy profit.

 

 

he was everything you'd want from a owner  …...from day 1 he was upfront on what he intended to do and did it …...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being a Chairman of anything is different from managing the day to day operation of an organisation.

 

The Chairman is responsible for the Balance Sheet, to protect Creditors and to maximise the return on investment for Shareholders.

 

Being a Chairman of a football club (as in any other role) requires a reasonable amount of industry or sector knowledge to understand the context of the business, but more importantly, the Chairman needs to understand the environment in which each of the stakeholders needs will be met. The Chairmans role is to ensure each of the stakeholders needs are met to an agreed framework and legal structure.

 

The Chairman is responsible for setting the aims of the business and ensuring that everyone in the business is working towards those aims. The Chairman is responsible for setting all of the Terms and Conditions, Operating Policies and Procedures for delivering the business aims. The Chairman is responsible for ALL Health and Safety issues and ensuring all proper fiduciary duties are in place.

 

The stakeholders are:

 

The laws of FIFA (the world governing authority)

The rules of the EFL (the English governing authority)

HMRC accounting conventions (tax)

The Creditors (banks and suppliers)

The Debtors (who owe money to the club)

The owners (shareholders)

The staff (employees)

The product (the players)

The customers (fans)

 

How do they do this?

 

The Chairman appoints managers to run each part of the business.

The Chairman also has a Board of Directors with specialisms to help guide their decision making.

The Chairman may also have specialist advisors.

The Chairman is legally responsible for every part of the business. They might delegate this responsibility to a CEO and a COO.

 

What would I do first if I was Chairman of SWFC? I'd articulate the vision to the fans. I'd set a timetable. I'd establish a framework, that is properly constrained by the rules, to meet any financial obligations. I'd work with the team manager to make sure they are clear about the objectives. I'd work with my commercial team to ensure the best possible experience for the fans and I'd ensure that we lived within the shareholder's means and the rules of governance.

 

If I were Chairman I would not expect to be in a position to push for promotion within the next three years but would aim for within 5 years. My aim would be to achieve promotion and remain in the top tier.

 

It's been a bit of lockdown fun using my brian for a bit on this...vote for me!!

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, I would be a joke. UTO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...