Would You Make a Good Chairman?

1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think we need a Stuart Gray / Terry Burton type coach in to get us organised. 

Maybe so but is there anything to suggest that someone of this ilk wants to work under Garry Monk given that he doesn't have his previous coaching team available to call upon.

I'd prefer a no nonsense manager like McCarthy, wouldn't break the bank to bring him in, vast experience at this level, has worked well with and without a budget of note and likely to be able to call on staff he has worked with previously. 

1 hour ago, Hougoumont said:

This is a thread about realism in our situation...which is that DC is Chairman and owner and will decide what happens next irrespective of your opinion of his past performance.

The thread is titled "Would you make a good Chairman?"

DC is actually not a bad owner..the problem is that he is a disastrous chairman and an even worse MD.

Guest LittleG
2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

That's more your interpretation of it to be fair mate.

It's not really though; the poster doesn't mention the chairman once in his post. It's basically asking what are people's thoughts on the managerial situation. 

42 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I would get rid of Monk

I would bring Gary Rowett in as the new manager who has shown at numerous clubs he is able to get the best out of a squad. Yes he didn't do well at Stoke but based on that Monk has not done well at Leeds, Swansea, Birmingham and Boro either.

Rowett will have the team playing better and we as fans would rather see our team work their backside off and lose to a better team than look like they cannot be ar5ed like we currently have under Monk.

If we have to go for someone currently out of work Pochettina, Emery, Silva, Blanc, Allardyce, Klinsman.

In all seriousness though a bit near to home Houghton may be an option with no premiership job coming his way he might want a crack at us, Also Van Bronckhorst if he has not been snapped up yet, McCarthy also mentioned in other posts. We need someone to get enough points to avoid relegation if the season restarts we could be looking at 12 points less and even if it is the new manager bounce we need something that currently we don't have with Monk.

For me there is also the likes of Gareth Ainsworth doing a very good job at Wycombe and Mark Robins at Coventry. Our club is in a mess both off and on the pitch and unfortunately we need a manager who is used to working with no money or used to making do in a bad situation. Not to mention they will have to work with DC which I do believe is possibly the reason a lot of British managers won't touch us currently. 

What ridiculous suggestions.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

The thread is titled "Would you make a good Chairman?"

DC is actually not a bad owner..the problem is that he is a disastrous chairman and an even worse MD.

What would you class as a good owner someone who spends a fortune of his money to make the football club go backwards.

I am interest because for me a good owner, has a business brain but is also a fan, is able to build a strong club and team that moves forward both off and on the pitch, in-beds the team into the community but also does not price the normal fans out of watching their team. A good owner is able to get money into the club without scaring off the sponsors/corporate money and without doing anything that would be viewed as wrong such as a betting company as chief sponsor, (unfortunately like so many in our league) also a good owner is able to see from time to time he/she gets it wrong but is able to learn from those mistakes so they are not made in the future.

I am interest in what way is DC a good owner??

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Maybe so but is there anything to suggest that someone of this ilk wants to work under Garry Monk given that he doesn't have his previous coaching team available to call upon.

I'd prefer a no nonsense manager like McCarthy, wouldn't break the bank to bring him in, vast experience at this level, has worked well with and without a budget of note and likely to be able to call on staff he has worked with previously. 

I agree Big Dingle Mick would be best candidate we could realistically get to be manager.

Wouldn't be pretty then again we are used to that and he wouldn't suffer fools gladly in the dressing room.

7 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I agree Big Dingle Mick would be best candidate we could realistically get to be manager.

Wouldn't be pretty then again we are used to that and he wouldn't suffer fools gladly in the dressing room.

We all want to see free-flowing winning football but as you suggest, getting someone in capable of doing that in our current predicament may be too much of an ask. 

Currently we have got dire results with performances to match, I would take effective over pretty football right now and McCarthy's career suggests he is capable of delivering that at this level under difficult circumstances. Ipswich got tired of his brand of football and wanted more, relegation followed and they don't look set to get promoted this season. 

Guest Grez Bez

I'd change the structure

Head of football

- Responsible for all playing/ coaching staff.

- Targeted on results on the pitch

Head of commercial

- Responsible for making money outside of player sales. Marketing, pricing eyc

-targeted on commercial growth

Head of health

- responsible for the well being of the players (and staff)

- targeted in injury to playing % etc

The heads are responsible for their teams as subject matter experts. The chairman signs off any major investments and heads the board. Each team is self sufficient

OP says “go on and polute this thread with your lunacy”

And he’s right

Ive already read a poster calling people morons

and then someone say Pochettino wouldn’t make a good manager because he’s out of work for a reason.

oh, hang on.....I’m still on the first post!.....hypocrisy or ironic......I’m never quite sure!

• Haha 1

If I was a minted owner who’d just taken over at Wednesday, the first call I’d make would be to Howard Wilkinson. He’s the most qualified person in football, he’s done it all and he’s a Wednesdayite

Id give him whatever wage he wanted, and let him lead the way completely 

Edited by Stoop

If I was chairman one thing I would do which is not a new idea but I think is very innovative is that I would relocate the training ground to London, let's face it, that's where most players want to be and it would massively help with player recruitment. 

Edited by Ellis Rimmer
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think we need a Stuart Gray / Terry Burton type coach in to get us organised. 

Personally think if Monk is to stay that is is so important that he gets his own staff in to work alongside. It isn’t right or fair that he has to mainly work with other people’s cast offs and not have people he can trust and confide in. As much as Bullen, weaver etc seem like decent blokes I feel they should leave at the end of the season with the out of contract players that have been here to long. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

Just bought the club, press conference done explained I'm worth 14 billion and minted. 

I would install:

A CEO - I would try and get Paul Aldridge back. 

A DOF - I would probably ask Bullen if he's interested. 

Every head department would become the director of that department and I would let them get on with it without interference, if they fail I'd replace them. 

Sit down with Monk and see if he fits into the club ambitions, mine would be attacking with young hungry players who would fight for the shirt it would become a club motto for the future. 

Monk decided he wants experienced players and to be more cautious. That's fine we don't match we part ways and wish each other well - not saying he's like that but I'm the owner and I decide the story. 

Release all the players OOC, offer Fletcher and Fox reduced terms. 

Text Ryan Lowe secretly through what's app telling him his chairman will ring him about my approach - text message vanishes after 2 mins. 

Approach Plymouth and appoint Ryan Lowe and the staff he wants. 

Lowe signs up and coming players who want to fight for the shirt and succeed and blends a few old heads in to control the emotions. 

Beat FFP, build the club from the bottom, reduce tickets to £25 and shirts back down too £39.99

Lets the fans design the shirt because they are pretty good at it. 

Go on a massive winning run, 30000 in the new revamped Hillsborough, SAG are made redundant and go back to checking the safety of the litter bins outside the Staduim. 

Win promotion at the first attempt, fly to Middlesborough and start windmilling outside Steve Gibson House. 

Now worth 23 billion due to my other business successes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Grez Bez said:

I'd change the structure

Head of football

- Responsible for all playing/ coaching staff.

- Targeted on results on the pitch

Head of commercial

- Responsible for making money outside of player sales. Marketing, pricing eyc

-targeted on commercial growth

Head of health

- responsible for the well being of the players (and staff)

- targeted in injury to playing % etc

The heads are responsible for their teams as subject matter experts. The chairman signs off any major investments and heads the board. Each team is self sufficient

I've been advocating this for the whole time DC has been our chairman... Spend the most money we  can afford on these positions and as we progress upgrade them same with the players....always improving and moving forward. I don't think it's anything radical TBH

Edited by daveyboy66

4 hours ago, room0035 said:

What would you class as a good owner someone who spends a fortune of his money to make the football club go backwards.

I am interest because for me a good owner, has a business brain but is also a fan, is able to build a strong club and team that moves forward both off and on the pitch, in-beds the team into the community but also does not price the normal fans out of watching their team. A good owner is able to get money into the club without scaring off the sponsors/corporate money and without doing anything that would be viewed as wrong such as a betting company as chief sponsor, (unfortunately like so many in our league) also a good owner is able to see from time to time he/she gets it wrong but is able to learn from those mistakes so they are not made in the future.

I am interest in what way is DC a good owner??

You seem to have confused “not bad” with “good” and to not understand the difference between business ownership and business management. As an owner DC has provided significant funds, unfortunately as a manager he has wasted those funds.

I'd sort commercial and retail and leave Monk to sort football.

How hard can it be to have Elev8 drinks on the concourses making real money.

Three or four weeks tops from saying get on with it to stuff being on shelves.

Just one example of poor management.

Don't even start on merchandising or kit launches...

Edited by 33
DC

Guest Willow Owl
6 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I've named a better manager in this thread. Bruce had better results with zero transfer windows than Monk has got, he is producing dire football combined with awful results, the 2nd worst in the country this year. 

Nobody gets 4 transfer windows to ease into a job these days, you need to show signs of improvement with what you have got, Monk is showing the opposite. Who are his own coaching staff? What is his plan? I can't see one at the moment.

I’m sorry but you cannot see Mick McCarthy as an option. The man who was hounded out of Ipswich because of his Dinosaur approach. It would be a massive backwards step In my opinion. As current manager Monk will have got a long term plan with players and coaches alike. To suggest otherwise is ridiculous. A lot of our current players will already know their contracts will not be renewed so I for one am willing to give him a chance to turn things round. People need to get out of this mind set that we are some sort of massive club with a massive attraction to top managers.