Would You Make a Good Chairman?

Chansiri.jpg

When a club sacks a manager, they have to replace him, and I've not heard of one sensible suggestion that would be an upgrade on Monk.

OK now we'll have the Monk haters replying that "anyone" would be better, and the Megson morons advocating him returning. So you lot go and pollute another thread with your lunacy and leave this one for proper discussion.

So...look at the reality, sack Monk tomorrow and who do you get?

The ones that are out of work are jobless for a reason, and it isn't because they have been successful in their last job. The best ones are in work and there is no way they are going to jump ship to come to a club that is under investigation by the EFL and who could be starting next season with a points deficit or even in the 3rd tier. This even assumes we are capable of paying compensation for anyone. You have to accept the reality of Wednesday's attractiveness as a club in the present circumstances....So:

Do you want to gamble and entrust our club to an untried up and comer from the lower divisions, who has no experience of Championship football or the necessary contacts for recruitment?

Do you want to try another foreign coach and if so bear in mind that the same restrictions regarding our uncertain future will apply.

Do you want to try an ex player...a dyed in the wool Wednesdayite, or,

Do you want to have Carlos back again?

Do you want to keep Monk on and give him the tools to do the job?

So come on, sensible suggestions with a reasoned argument for them.

I'd keep Monk
Get rid of all the troublesome players
Sell off all the poor players as quickly as possible
Bring in younger, hungrier players identified by a new scouting network I'd install
Employ a first team coaching team dedicated to performance of the first team players

Owlstalk Shop

As the OP the situation is such that sacking Monk now is unrealistic and unwise. We need to cobble through to the end of the season whenever that may be.

Before the next season starts it is likely that the EFL case will have progressed and we will be in a clearer position in this regard which may or may not make us a more attractive proposition depending on the outcome.

If we are not up against it in this regard then the pool of managers we could attract would become greater. 

Mick McCarthy is available, didn't fail in his last job, has huge experience at this level and is an upgrade on Monk.  

24 minutes ago, Hougoumont said:

When a club sacks a manager, they have to replace him, and I've not heard of one sensible suggestion that would be an upgrade on Monk.

OK now we'll have the Monk haters replying that "anyone" would be better, and the Megson morons advocating him returning. So you lot go and pollute another thread with your lunacy and leave this one for proper discussion.

So...look at the reality, sack Monk tomorrow and who do you get?

The ones that are out of work are jobless for a reason, and it isn't because they have been successful in their last job. The best ones are in work and there is no way they are going to jump ship to come to a club that is under investigation by the EFL and who could be starting next season with a points deficit or even in the 3rd tier. This even assumes we are capable of paying compensation for anyone. You have to accept the reality of Wednesday's attractiveness as a club in the present circumstances....So:

Do you want to gamble and entrust our club to an untried up and comer from the lower divisions, who has no experience of Championship football or the necessary contacts for recruitment?

Do you want to try another foreign coach and if so bear in mind that the same restrictions regarding our uncertain future will apply.

Do you want to try an ex player...a dyed in the wool Wednesdayite, or,

Do you want to have Carlos back again?

Do you want to keep Monk on and give him the tools to do the job?

So come on, sensible suggestions with a reasoned argument for them.

Why have you even made the suggestion: 'Do you want to have Carlos back again?'

Why would we want him back???? Baffles me every time someone suggests this!

If we had a good chairman we wouldn't have such a crap manager, we wouldn't have a club under investigation by the EFL, we wouldn't risk starting next season with a points deficit or even in the 3rd tier. We might be in a position of paying compensation for someone half decent as the reality of Wednesday's attractiveness as a club would be better than the present circumstances.

Oh well...

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Jaydubz said:

Why have you even made the suggestion: 'Do you want to have Carlos back again?'

Why would we want him back???? Baffles me every time someone suggests this!

Well stop being baffled and post something constructive.

Guest Willow Owl
25 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

If we had a good chairman we wouldn't have such a crap manager, we wouldn't have a club under investigation by the EFL, we wouldn't risk starting next season with a points deficit or even in the 3rd tier. We might be in a position of paying compensation for someone half decent as the reality of Wednesday's attractiveness as a club would be better than the present circumstances.

Oh well...

We had Bruce didn’t we ?

Give Monk the time and the tools to do the job before being judgmental.
Most championship clubs are being investigated or will be in the near future. Maybe it’s the EFL not fit for purpose not the championships chairmen

29 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

Oh well...

This is a thread about realism in our situation...which is that DC is Chairman and owner and will decide what happens next irrespective of your opinion of his past performance.

42 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

As the OP the situation is such that sacking Monk now is unrealistic and unwise. We need to cobble through to the end of the season whenever that may be.

Before the next season starts it is likely that the EFL case will have progressed and we will be in a clearer position in this regard which may or may not make us a more attractive proposition depending on the outcome.

If we are not up against it in this regard then the pool of managers we could attract would become greater. 

Mick McCarthy is available, didn't fail in his last job, has huge experience at this level and is an upgrade on Monk.  

He's the only one I can think of who is realistically available who could do a job for us. He's got a hell of a lot of knowledge of our division problem would be would our owner be willing to listen / learn from him. 

He's also of an age where he could groom the next manager and move upstairs. Some kind of continuity is essential Imo.

6 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

We had Bruce didn’t we ?

Give Monk the time and the tools to do the job before being judgmental.
Most championship clubs are being investigated or will be in the near future. Maybe it’s the EFL not fit for purpose not the championships chairmen

We did have Bruce, and Monk has the same squad Bruce had plus some useful acquisitions. After a bright start things have gone down hill big time, a trait of Monks managerial career to date. Nothing to suggest giving him more time will be beneficial. 

Guest Willow Owl
9 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

We did have Bruce, and Monk has the same squad Bruce had plus some useful acquisitions. After a bright start things have gone down hill big time, a trait of Monks managerial career to date. Nothing to suggest giving him more time will be beneficial. 

Didn’t Bruce say it would take 4 transfer windows to sort out. Monk has had 1 and a whole load of players are out of contract come End June. Will give him next season to change and implement his plan plus bring in his own coaching staff. Don’t see many better out of work championship managers out there at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

Didn’t Bruce say it would take 4 transfer windows to sort out. Monk has had 1 and a whole load of players are out of contract come End June. Will give him next season to change and implement his plan plus bring in his own coaching staff. Don’t see many better out of work championship managers out there at the moment.

I've named a better manager in this thread. Bruce had better results with zero transfer windows than Monk has got, he is producing dire football combined with awful results, the 2nd worst in the country this year. 

Nobody gets 4 transfer windows to ease into a job these days, you need to show signs of improvement with what you have got, Monk is showing the opposite. Who are his own coaching staff? What is his plan? I can't see one at the moment.

36 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I've named a better manager in this thread. Bruce had better results with zero transfer windows than Monk has got, he is producing dire football combined with awful results, the 2nd worst in the country this year. 

Nobody gets 4 transfer windows to ease into a job these days, you need to show signs of improvement with what you have got, Monk is showing the opposite. Who are his own coaching staff? What is his plan? I can't see one at the moment.

I wouldn't shed a tear if Monk got the chop but do have sympathy with him that he hasn't been allowed to bring in any of his own coaching staff. Bruce left with 2 experience coaches to Newcastle and all been replaced by just Monk.

1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

I wouldn't shed a tear if Monk got the chop but do have sympathy with him that he hasn't been allowed to bring in any of his own coaching staff. Bruce left with 2 experience coaches to Newcastle and all been replaced by just Monk.

It is a fair point but you have to question who Monk would be able to bring in given the choice. His long-term number 2 has now moved up to be a manager in his own right and is working with the other staff that they worked with at Birmingham. The one touted as coming in has been James Beattie, his CV of success in coaching is not a lengthy document.

I would get rid of Monk

I would bring Gary Rowett in as the new manager who has shown at numerous clubs he is able to get the best out of a squad. Yes he didn't do well at Stoke but based on that Monk has not done well at Leeds, Swansea, Birmingham and Boro either.

Rowett will have the team playing better and we as fans would rather see our team work their backside off and lose to a better team than look like they cannot be ar5ed like we currently have under Monk.

If we have to go for someone currently out of work Pochettina, Emery, Silva, Blanc, Allardyce, Klinsman.

In all seriousness though a bit near to home Houghton may be an option with no premiership job coming his way he might want a crack at us, Also Van Bronckhorst if he has not been snapped up yet, McCarthy also mentioned in other posts. We need someone to get enough points to avoid relegation if the season restarts we could be looking at 12 points less and even if it is the new manager bounce we need something that currently we don't have with Monk.

For me there is also the likes of Gareth Ainsworth doing a very good job at Wycombe and Mark Robins at Coventry. Our club is in a mess both off and on the pitch and unfortunately we need a manager who is used to working with no money or used to making do in a bad situation. Not to mention they will have to work with DC which I do believe is possibly the reason a lot of British managers won't touch us currently. 

7 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

It is a fair point but you have to question who Monk would be able to bring in given the choice. His long-term number 2 has now moved up to be a manager in his own right and is working with the other staff that they worked with at Birmingham. The one touted as coming in has been James Beattie, his CV of success in coaching is not a lengthy document.

Think we need a Stuart Gray / Terry Burton type coach in to get us organised. 

First and most important task is to get in the right people to run the club and and also people who understand Sheffield Wednesday, then people to give you the best advise regarding all aspects of the game, experienced, trustworthy and most importantly people who would be honest and have the best intentions regarding the club.

This would be the foundations and a solid base to build on.

I'm a 50 year old working class supporter, If I can see it, why can't the present regime, It's not rocket science.