@owlstalk

External Ground Improvements at Hillsborough

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Another small change but with a big difference is the updated darker blue colour on the Megastore fencing.

Also a change in the boards on the fences

Looks loads smarter now...

All costs money this you know.. Chansiri has been spending big on things like this.

Am I the only one wondering if this is a p!ss take? It's coming across as genuine, but surely it can't be!

Posted (edited)

Lepp looked loads better before we put that daft banner up with the frightened owl.

Looked properly school football ground, now looks a bit like some entrance to a crappy funfair or summat, a frightened owl themed funfair.

Which to be fair is pretty apt, apart from the 'fun' bit obviously.

Edited by Wrightyowl

I give you the three words that would improve the ground's exterior no end...

Knee On Signs!!

3 minutes ago, Rogers said:

By taking the Sheffield Wednesday lighting down on Leppings Lane, the club have saved £21.67 a year on energy bills. 

This explains why the Hillsborough Stadium sale was for just £59,999,978.33. Had it not been for those energy savings, we would've needed to list the sale for the full £60m, or else run foul of FFP!

According to my mates (who are expert accountants), by keeping the sale price below £60m, we've dodged HMRC's automated flagging. As usual, DC has played an absolute blinder here!

the addition of the net curtains on that end terrace has really upped the look to the stadium

21 minutes ago, bobness said:

Am I the only one wondering if this is a p!ss take? It's coming across as genuine, but surely it can't be!

Which bit of the changes that I've mentioned don't you believe happened?

I've not photoshopped anything other than the mockup of the electronic screen on the back of the kop.

All the rest are genuine Chansiri improvements to the ground

4 hours ago, Bulgaria said:

Imagine living in that end house!!!

I bet they have to wash away pisss every other weekend.

My wife god bless her,on our last visit to Sheffield,after watching the game we met up at the park for drinks,on the way to the Chinese take away,she had to spend a moment in that corner.that memory has always stayed with me.happy days.utw.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Wrightyowl said:

Lepp looked loads better before we put that daft banner up with the frightened owl.

Looked properly school football ground, now looks a bit like some entrance to a crappy funfair or summat, a frightened owl themed funfair.

Which to be fair is pretty apt, apart from the 'fun' bit obviously.

Thought it looked like a proper toilet before that new banner type thing went up personally.

Just shows ya can put a new wrapper on a turd. 

Edited by BARMYARMY2010

Had character 

Now it’s just a bit embarrassing really

It’s just a massive Elastoplast 

All minor, low-cost 'improvements' with no real investment for decades. 

Painting the turn styles but not bothering with the sky blue Kop is like me glossing the skirting boards and leaving the walls. Amateurish.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Which bit of the changes that I've mentioned don't you believe happened?

I've not photoshopped anything other than the mockup of the electronic screen on the back of the kop.

All the rest are genuine Chansiri improvements to the ground

Was in response to you commenting how the "darker blue colour on the Megastore fencing" and "change in the boards on the fences" are indicative of how "Chansiri has been spending big".

Just found it laughable. This is  mostly routine maintenance, and for the most part things still look dated (and dare I say it... a bit shiit). Not saying that exterior stadium updates should be Chansiri's priority, but I also don't find these updates to be praiseworthy. Probably doesn't help that I also prefer the old owl

Edited by bobness

5 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-04-27 at 16.32.56.jpg

Screenshot 2020-04-27 at 16.33.11.jpg

The kop from the other side, showing the removal of the ad banner and the installation of the new/old Owl badge

And the bin is bigger :duntmatter:

6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-04-27 at 17.03.26.jpg

A nice lick of darker blue paint,. and a whopping new video screen

I wounder how much that would cost and how much ad revenue it would generate?

7 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-04-27 at 16.24.53.jpg

Screenshot 2020-04-27 at 16.25.11.jpg

Have a look at these photos of Sheffield Wednesday's Hillsborough Stadium from over the years..

Photo's showing before and after of ground improvements made in recent years to the external side of our football ground.

Starting above with the West Stand, and the improvements Chansiri has made since becoming our Chairman.

That Owl.....eating a**

Just cannot ge tthat vision from my mind, who I say who created  that :ghoulguy:

• Haha 3

In summary, there have been no major ground improvements. Have any corporate areas been refurbished? Last time I was in the South Stand it screamed the 90s. 

10 hours ago, bobness said:

Cor, nowt gets passed you does it? lol

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Exactly

Richards being the Shipping firm that built it, and Trevor Francis being the iceberg

Thought Francis was the Sailor, 

Iceberg was a Frenchman. 

14 hours ago, jamsandwich said:

It was the old Owners steel company (Dave Richards) - in a classic FFP swerving financial device. 

Still exist today, make machine tools - drill bits etc. Probs made in China now rather than on Penistone Road (my Grandparents both worked there). They lived close by before the road was altered to what it is today when it was single carriageway with houses along it.

Presto still in Sheffield on the Thorncliffe Industrial Estate in Chapeltown. Perhaps just a trade counter ? https://www.presto-tools.co.uk/

Also anyone aware of this ? https://bdaily.co.uk/articles/2015/01/15/sheffield-united-announces-sponsorship-deal-with-170-year-old-company

Presto.jpg

6 hours ago, cardiffowl06 said:

In summary, there have been no major ground improvements. Have any corporate areas been refurbished? Last time I was in the South Stand it screamed the 90s. 

I’m not sure what you expect with regards to improvements on the outside of the ground?

All this costs money and Chansiri has gone a good job of making the ground look better from the outside.

Any further improvements or additions would have to be a sensible one and possibly only done if it can make its money back or make a profit for the club (eg huge advertising screen) otherwise what’s the point? 

I’m happy overall with the clubs railings and doors getting tidied up and a darker blue paint used to make it look less faded. Chansiri didn’t have to do this but chose to in order to keep things looking smarter.

I would guess the next upgrade would be to turnstiles and how they work (eg more automated) but that would be a significant upgrade.