Matt Hamshaw

He was coaching the youth team whilst I was at Rotherham in my skinnier days. Thoroughly decent bloke, made football enjoyable. I think he’s fairly high up the food chain now, head of youth development type of role.

14 hours ago, Rogers said:

Better than Ritchie Humphreys? Similar? 

I'd actually put him a shade above Humphreys talent-wise. Humphreys had that amazing first month when every shot he had seemed to fly in from 25 yards - which kind of tricked everyone into thinking he was a bit better than he was. Humphreys eventually round his level in League One, good left foot, but without the pace or consistent quality to go much higher. And I think I'm right in saying that injuries never really affected Humphreys.

For Hamshaw, I think without the injuries he could have been a solid Championship-level player, he was a bit more mobile than Humphreys and had just as cultured a foot (although right foot in his case). Even when injuries had diminished him he still managed to get by in the lower leagues for a few years.

But as it was Humphreys had the better career - 600+ league appearances is quite an achievement, not many lower league players get to half that. 

16 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

I'd actually put him a shade above Humphreys talent-wise. Humphreys had that amazing first month when every shot he had seemed to fly in from 25 yards - which kind of tricked everyone into thinking he was a bit better than he was. Humphreys eventually round his level in League One, good left foot, but without the pace or consistent quality to go much higher. And I think I'm right in saying that injuries never really affected Humphreys.

For Hamshaw, I think without the injuries he could have been a solid Championship-level player, he was a bit more mobile than Humphreys and had just as cultured a foot (although right foot in his case). Even when injuries had diminished him he still managed to get by in the lower leagues for a few years.

But as it was Humphreys had the better career - 600+ league appearances is quite an achievement, not many lower league players get to half that. 

I seemed to remember Hamshaw being better, Humphreys had the purple patch and maybe we should have sold him at the time. 

On 28/04/2020 at 01:13, Rogers said:

I seemed to remember Hamshaw being better, Humphreys had the purple patch and maybe we should have sold him at the time. 

We could have sold many youngsters for a sizeable amount but chose to keep them until their value decreased significantly. Humphreys, Wood, Beevers and Bromby instantly spring to mind. 

Guest LondonOwl313
18 hours ago, moodymaz said:

We could have sold many youngsters for a sizeable amount but chose to keep them until their value decreased significantly. Humphreys, Wood, Beevers and Bromby instantly spring to mind. 

Problem is Humphreys burst on to the scene and looked like a £10m player for the first couple of months.. there was no way we’d have sold him at that point. He didn’t produce long enough for someone to come in with a big bid for him. Then he went rubbish shortly after and then nobody would have wanted to buy him. 

The others were bang average players given none of them went on to achieve much. Just looked good because we were so poor at the time 

4 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Problem is Humphreys burst on to the scene and looked like a £10m player for the first couple of months.. there was no way we’d have sold him at that point. He didn’t produce long enough for someone to come in with a big bid for him. Then he went rubbish shortly after and then nobody would have wanted to buy him. 

The others were bang average players given none of them went on to achieve much. Just looked good because we were so poor at the time 

I might be wrong, but I recall us turning down bid of 3m for him from Leeds at the end of season 96/97.

Couple of years later we refused to swap him with Sheff Utd for Borbokis.

Also, press reported of us turning down bids for Haslam (from Liverpool before he dubuted for us), Quinn (2m from Everton after we got relegated), Owen Morrison (2m from Liverpool), Stringer and Bromby.

On 27/04/2020 at 09:14, ZicoSterland2 said:

Highly touted but career ruined by injury. Doubt we ever saw what his true potential was.

Don’t know him as a lad but average 3rd tier footballer - did ok for us.

11 hours ago, malek said:

I might be wrong, but I recall us turning down bid of 3m for him from Leeds at the end of season 96/97.

Couple of years later we refused to swap him with Sheff Utd for Borbokis.

Also, press reported of us turning down bids for Haslam (from Liverpool before he dubuted for us), Quinn (2m from Everton after we got relegated), Owen Morrison (2m from Liverpool), Stringer and Bromby.

My point exactly

Also rumoured to have turned down big offers for Wood and Beevers