96 / 97 review video on official site

5 hours ago, room0035 said:

Didn't we miss out on Europe that year I think we needed to win 1 of the last 3 games and lost 2 and drew 1. 

At times that season we had too many defenders on the pitch with Atherton playing a holding midfield role, but we were difficult to beat and who can forget we were top after 4 games, back then they never showed the table now they show it after 1 game.

Was a rare bit of smugness allowed when we were top.

Remember a friend had one of the football magazines that related us being top to an X-Files mystery.

We lost 0-2 to Chelsea and the bubble then burst.

Great memories of that season. I was about 14-15 and that was the first season I started going without my dad and got to a lot more games than I used to.

What a start. Didnt realise we went on such a bad run after the first 4 games and didnt actually win again until November. The Forest game at home with Carbone scored his first goal sticks out as a highlight.

And the Sunderland one later in the season for some reason.

Last game of season. Pressman injured, Clarke sent off minutes into his debut sub appearance. Booth in net. 

Trustfull seemed to be head and shoulders above some of the others. Remember he liked to run with the ball straight from the kick off. Though Pleat didnt really seem to fancy him and he didnt stick around. Great goals against Wimbledon though.

2 hours ago, markg said:

Enjoyed watching that back. I always rated Pembridge a lot and was surprised to hear later on that he was criticised a lot. Watching the videos back he was even better than I thought.

It wasn't easy for him to fill out role of a player that was as good and as loved by fans as John Sheridan was. Pembridge did well for us, but nowhere near as good as Shezza. Think he rufesed to sign new deal with us in the end.

On 25/04/2020 at 23:47, Dexter Morgan said:

Should have kept blinker, wasn’t utilised enough, seemed to be streets in front of the others when he played, trustful wasn’t bad either, shame in retrospect we didn’t keep blinker and left the Italian where he was 

Blinker faded away at Celtic whereas Di Canio went on to better times 

• Like 1

Blinker had a few good games but literally a few.

he rarely made or scored goals which for a winger isn’t much use.

his debut was epic though and I liked him - never hid and worked hard.

trustful was Lewis mcgugan.

I remember watching blinker skin everyone away at Everton and then miss on the line. Could be hazy memory and a wierd view sat at low level  at Goodson as the pitch is slightly raised. It might even be on that video.

Kanchelskis was excellent for them. We had an ok team then, but I remember it being a strange time with a lot of favourites being moved on which made it difficult for the new ones. It wasn’t until the Italians came in that we got similar quality and they were sound buys who got the blame for the lack of investment in other positions. Had we spent big and gone overboard we might have stayed up,  getting caught in between only resulted in relegation and financial problems anyway 

On 25/04/2020 at 23:47, Dexter Morgan said:

Should have kept blinker, wasn’t utilised enough, seemed to be streets in front of the others when he played, trustful wasn’t bad either, shame in retrospect we didn’t keep blinker and left the Italian where he was 

I hope you have got a deep bunker.WTF:

On 27/04/2020 at 13:24, room0035 said:

Didn't we miss out on Europe that year I think we needed to win 1 of the last 3 games and lost 2 and drew 1. 

At times that season we had too many defenders on the pitch with Atherton playing a holding midfield role, but we were difficult to beat and who can forget we were top after 4 games, back then they never showed the table now they show it after 1 game.

Yes, we finished 7th in the prem, our highest placing in 24 years, with a TEAM of players.

Sadly we swapped that ambition to play a GROUP of individuals and finished 13th in the 1997/8 season.

But, hey ho, with out the 13 goals that numpty scored, the only goals scored by us according to some, we would have been relegated, so every thing was alright.

1 hour ago, adelphi1867 said:

Yes, we finished 7th in the prem, our highest placing in 24 years, with a TEAM of players.

Sadly we swapped that ambition to play a GROUP of individuals and finished 13th in the 1997/8 season.

But, hey ho, with out the 13 goals that numpty scored, the only goals scored by us according to some, we would have been relegated, so every thing was alright.

A rather simplistic and childish appraisal, especially given what unfolded just a few months after the man consistently placed as one of the top 50-60 players in Premier League history left the club. Are you suggesting we are still not paying the price for the legacy of some of those decisions at that period in our history, including the spectacular devaluation of our two most prized assets due to the incompetence of those running the club? 

The 97/98 team added to 96/97 rather than breaking it up. We didn’t score as many goals as we should have done in 96/97 so signed Di Canio.

Signing PDC wasn’t problem, his sale was.

Those years in the late 90s were when the standards of the Premier League increased the most year-on-year, as foreign players started to come into the league and the money started to splash about.

It's no exaggeration to say that we could have been relegated in 1997/8 if we had stuck with the exact same team - relying on Booth, Humphreys and a crocked Hirst for goals, with a choice of Nicol, Nolan, Briscoe and Atherton as full backs and Blinker and Trustful as our creativity in midfield.

25 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

Those years in the late 90s were when the standards of the Premier League increased the most year-on-year, as foreign players started to come into the league and the money started to splash about.

It's no exaggeration to say that we could have been relegated in 1997/8 if we had stuck with the exact same team - relying on Booth, Humphreys and a crocked Hirst for goals, with a choice of Nicol, Nolan, Briscoe and Atherton as full backs and Blinker and Trustful as our creativity in midfield.

Whilst I can fully understand that some people don't like Di Canio on a personal level (and there's no shortage of them at the clubs where he has been too), the idea that we were somehow better off without him and Carbone as several argue to this day is really breathtaking when you look at the collapse in our results after each departure and the consequences of the subsequent relegation in 2000 that are still being felt now. 

It's just stubborn and prejudiced.

20 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

A rather simplistic and childish appraisal, especially given what unfolded just a few months after the man consistently placed as one of the top 50-60 players in Premier League history left the club. Are you suggesting we are still not paying the price for the legacy of some of those decisions at that period in our history, including the spectacular devaluation of our two most prized assets due to the incompetence of those running the club? 

Di Canio was massively over rated. 

one of sky's poster boys.

Guest The Horse

Whilst I can fully understand that some people don't like Di Canio on a personal level (and there's no shortage of them at the clubs where he has been too), the idea that we were somehow better off without him and Carbone as several argue to this day is really breathtaking when you look at the collapse in our results after each departure and the consequences of the subsequent relegation in 2000 that are still being felt now. 

Indeed.

When the enemy realises you no longer have advanced offensive weapons, they will advance.
I've always been a believer in attack being the best form of defence.
Makes for a much more entertaining game to watch as well, especially if you have such talents as Carbone & Di Canio providing it.

Edited by The Horse

That was as much to do with the players brought in to replace them than them actually leaving.

i don’t think it can be argued that replacing them with de bilde, sibon, creswell didn’t weaken us.

had we recruited marginally better we may have been ok.