The County Cup has Turned Up

16 hours ago, PortlandOwl said:

Wasn't there something called the Ship Cup as well? 

The Shipp Cup was a pre season friendly affair c 1976 if I recall correctly. Think it was 3 teams, one of others may have been Peterborough but not sure.

On 25/04/2020 at 14:45, torryowl said:

highlight was trimming them 1-2 at the lane in 75 ….there keeper (mccallister?) chucked one in his  own net for the winner .

He went up for a cross and somehow fumbled it into the net right in front of us! We went nuts as strangely enough did most of the ground including the Shoreham!

On 25/04/2020 at 22:48, WAWAW said:

yeah i remember going to that game, we were very short on any type of glory so to me anyway as a sprog ( you Don't hear that phrase anymore either)it was like winning the FA cup final. I never understood how the competition worked though did three teams get a bye into the semi finals, with a prelim round?  UTO.

There was a preliminary round between two clubs, the winner of which, went through to the semi finals with the three remaining clubs.

5 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

The Shipp Cup was a pre season friendly affair c 1976 if I recall correctly. Think it was 3 teams, one of others may have been Peterborough but not sure.

First year Peterborough Lincoln and cambridge. We won it by going to cambridge and beating them 5-2.

Second year, huddersfield replaced Lincoln 

25 minutes ago, sheffieldblue said:

Looking back, it's hard to understand  why we were so elated by winning the shipp cup. We were so rubbish even the smallest success, including scoring and winning away were embraced

yeah - the highlight for me was winning at Hereford.:ohmy:

Hereford? Yes bloody Hereford! It was also a good ride on the bike!

2 hours ago, OhForAnotherShez said:

yeah - the highlight for me was winning at Hereford.:ohmy:

Hereford? Yes bloody Hereford! It was also a good ride on the bike!

I remember when we won away at reading.  First away win for nearly 2 years. Fans were actually in the off  licence buying champagne.  Grown men hugging each other, it was like we had won the FA cup or something 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, sheffieldblue said:

I remember when we won away at reading.  First away win for nearly 2 years. Fans were actually in the off  licence buying champagne.  Grown men hugging each other, it was like we had won the FA cup or something 

A day I'll never forget, a kid shot me in eye with a pellet gun that Saturday night. :duntmatter:

Thankfully made a full recovery after spending a week in Doncaster Gate hospital. 

It makes you wonder how Barnsley lost it in the first place with their trophy cabinet being so over filled with their One FA Cup win and their football league trophy win in 2016.

But they did win division 3 - 3 times so maybe this was the reason. :duntmatter:

On 27/04/2020 at 05:02, sheffieldblue said:

On 27/04/2020 at 06:54, OhForAnotherShez said:

Yep, me too. Jeff Johnson long shot.

Yes me and @Freshfish in the same off licence, a bottle of the fizzy stuff cost a packet back then , but 2 years waiting for that win made it all worth it.

Russian Warship.... Go fxxk yourselves.