The County Cup has Turned Up

58 minutes ago, torryowl said:

highlight was trimming them 1-2 at the lane in 75 ….there keeper (mccallister?) chucked one in his  own net for the winner .

yeah i remember going to that game, we were very short on any type of glory so to me anyway as a sprog ( you Don't hear that phrase anymore either)it was like winning the FA cup final. I never understood how the competition worked though did three teams get a bye into the semi finals, with a prelim round?  UTO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, torryowl said:

highlight was trimming them 1-2 at the lane in 75 ….there keeper (mccallister?) chucked one in his  own net for the winner .

I was at that game, I remember a couple of years earlier beating them 4-3 on penalties at Hillsborough, it was staged on FA cup 4th round day because both teams had already been knocked out. 

A big crowd turned up, well over 20,000 for a competition that wasn't usually well attended in them days. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bradowl said:

I was at that game, I remember a couple of years earlier beating them 4-3 on penalties at Hillsborough, it was staged on FA cup 4th round day because both teams had already been knocked out. 

A big crowd turned up, well over 20,000 for a competition that wasn't usually well attended in them days. 

I think it was the county cup in the fifties  that we had the the record crowd of 55,555 so it must have meant summat back then ....that game at the lane pulled in 14k and the majority wore blue .

It was abolished for league clubs in 1998 but is still going in the lower leagues.

This seasons semi-finals were to be 

Worsborough v Sheffield FC

Frickley v Penistone Church

The final would have been at the lane.

The most successful team with 21 wins were our neighbours.

2 hours ago, Bulldog said:

It was abolished for league clubs in 1998 but is still going in the lower leagues.

That's the senior cup ....the one we were in was the county cup 

1 hour ago, Bulldog said:

That's the Saturday Senior Cup, not the County Cup , the Senior Cup was the old Challenge Cup the 3rd oldest cup competition in the world first played for in 1876. 

The County Cup was formed in 1920 for the professional teams in the area.