Dutch league declared null and void...

20 hours ago, 31Dec1966 said:

Liverpool are well clear BUT can still be caught. They are not mathematically certain of their position. They cannot be awarded the title and not impose the other current positions on the rest of the league. This would mean teams being relegated (and by extension, others promoted) when, with 9 games to go they could easily escape. So, Liverpool are definitely NOT  nailed on.

There are so many unknown, ifs, buts and maybes that the season has to be declared null and void.  Those 8 you refer to may claim this is unfair, but life is unfair, and there are bigger issues at present.

The biggest issue (I'm talking about football here) is clubs going bankrupt.  The PL, EFL and PFA should work out a way to safeguard all clubs during lockdown (they have enough money), encourage them to help the wider community and then we start again ONLY when it is safe to do WITH fans.

The PL can do what they want, really. They can quite easily just declare that Liverpool are champions, CL/EL places stand, and no relegation.

As they've shown time and again, the football league is not really a consideration, so the fact some teams won't be promoted won't fuss them.

On the other hand, they probably want Leeds up and don't mind WBA either. So I wouldn't be at all surprised if they're invited to join a 22-team league next season.

All of this might wee wee off the EFL, but what are they going to do about it? They're not going to break off promotion and relegation, so there's not much that can be done. PL holds all the power. 

25 minutes ago, southportdc said:

The PL can do what they want, really. They can quite easily just declare that Liverpool are champions, CL/EL places stand, and no relegation.

As they've shown time and again, the football league is not really a consideration, so the fact some teams won't be promoted won't fuss them.

On the other hand, they probably want Leeds up and don't mind WBA either. So I wouldn't be at all surprised if they're invited to join a 22-team league next season.

All of this might wee wee off the EFL, but what are they going to do about it? They're not going to break off promotion and relegation, so there's not much that can be done. PL holds all the power. 

Pretty much.

I can see the PL finishing and the EFL having to void.

4 hours ago, SiJ said:

Pretty much.

Your right. The PL care about making sure they recieve all the tv money and that clubs quality for Europe. They ain't to bothered about the EFL. Will be liverpool champs. No relegation and a playoff type system for the European places.

7 hours ago, southportdc said:

the teams that play in Europe will not want a 22 team league, it took them ages to get the league down to 20 teams

I don't think anyone in the PL could care less about who gets promoted, one consideration for them however would be having to share the TV money 22 ways instead of 20

On 27/04/2020 at 06:53, SiJ said:

Pretty much.

Could that happen?

I was under the impression the season would be void for everyone or resumes for everyone but they can't just pick and choose 

It is ridiculous now, they should just put to bed the season for every team and every league

Holland & France have made the right call. The PL are so greedy it beggars belief. Players and managers are humans aswell and despite their massive wages their health should be taken into consideration

1 hour ago, IWEDFM said:

Could that happen?

I was under the impression the season would be void for everyone or resumes for everyone but they can't just pick and choose 

It is ridiculous now, they should just put to bed the season for every team and every league

Holland & France have made the right call. The PL are so greedy it beggars belief. Players and managers are humans aswell and despite their massive wages their health should be taken into consideration

And now the Chief doctor at FIFA says it is too dangerous to complete the season. France, netherlands and belgium have done the right thing.Void the season and concentrate on starting again next season when safe. Glad he agrees with me.:rolleyes:

37 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

And now the Chief doctor at FIFA says it is too dangerous to complete the season. France, netherlands and belgium have done the right thing.Void the season and concentrate on starting again next season when safe. Glad he agrees with me.:rolleyes:

Wonder if FIFA or UEFA will insist that football finishes until next season?

I want it voided now just to spite the Premier League the absolute flaps.

Talks of "Operation comeback" yesterday adding to the worrying trend that is developing across the country with people acting like the lockdown is coming to an end (when there's been absolutely no indication from the government that this is the case). Various businesses announcing that they're reopening, talks of behind closed doors games and players returning to training is so irresponsible. Some people seem to be getting bored of complying and shiit like this really doesn't help the situation.

Their announcement of 'some' games being free to air is laughable, a pathetic attempt to try and gain support from the public.

UEFA will be reluctant to put things into force because they know they'd also have to cancel the Champions League.

Guest Mcguigan
On 27/04/2020 at 10:28, southportdc said:

The PL dances to Sky's tune. They are the powerhouse of the English game.

If this season is null and void, £60m in PL solidarity payments to EFL clubs will be withheld. With clubs financially stricken already, that would be the straw that broke the camels back for most.

This season will be finished. One way or another Sky will see to that.

52 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

The PL dances to Sky's tune. They are the powerhouse of the English game.

If this season is null and void, £60m in PL solidarity payments to EFL clubs will be withheld. With clubs financially stricken already, that would be the straw that broke the camels back for most.

This season will be finished. One way or another Sky will see to that.

Clubs want it finished to get the TV money because many will have spent it already, sky want the advertising revenue and the money from viewers but its up to the government to say and now with FIFA involved as well the decision is moving away from what the clubs and sky want

Guest Mcguigan
8 minutes ago, the third man said:

Clubs want it finished to get the TV money because many will have spent it already, sky want the advertising revenue and the money from viewers but its up to the government to say and now with FIFA involved as well the decision is moving away from what the clubs and sky want

It’s not the governments decision to decide how to finish this season though. 

When sport can resume, yes, but they’ll have no input into how 19/20 season concludes.

FIFA’s opinions....probably best to forget them.

5 hours ago, Mcguigan said:

It’s not the governments decision to decide how to finish this season though. 

When sport can resume, yes, but they’ll have no input into how 19/20 season concludes.

FIFA’s opinions....probably best to forget them.

Once the government decide there can no sport until august or September  then that will the leagues mind up for them, as in France,

If FIFA say no football worldwide until a certain date, then that's the end of the season

11 hours ago, mark77 said:

I can't believe Leagues don't have a rule to cover this scenario. It's happened before with war.

Exactly, a time when most other Governments, institutions, companies and individuals have shown how well they had prepared for a world wide pandemic it is typical that football clubs were so underprepared. By the way, what had you done to prepare Mark?

Edited by kobayashi

2 hours ago, kobayashi said:

Exactly, a time when most other Governments, institutions, companies and individuals have shown how well they had prepared for a world wide pandemic it is typical that football clubs were so underprepared. By the way, what had you done to prepare Mark?

I'm talking about a scenario where play has to be suspended, there's a multitude of reasons. Formula One has rules in place for how many races constitute a championship etc and when it would be void. Wimbledon tennis had it in their insurance so when setting sporting competitions and rules you would have expected something to cover suspension of play.

23 hours ago, the third man said:

Once the government decide there can no sport until august or September  then that will the leagues mind up for them, as in France,

If FIFA say no football worldwide until a certain date, then that's the end of the season

I think that's what they're waiting for. The fewer decisions they have to make themselves the better.  The big one is then voiding or calling it as it is.

We can sit on the sidelines and say it's straightforward but it's not. The Germans and Italians are still making noises re continuing the season, the Dutch have voided it, the Belgians have called it as it is. There are arguments for and against on every side.

Ultimately it will come down to a consensus of what the clubs - notably the PL think - supported by UEFA/FIFA decisions, or vice versa. It won't be decided by Parry or his PL equivalent, the clubs will dictate what happens next, based on Government guidelines and if they can get players and managers on board.