Matt Penney

Matt Penney.jpg

With the German league ready to start again in the next few weeks, will be interesting to see what happens contract wise. Not sure if his expires ‘this season’ or what, but if there is no football til next season here i can see a deal being done somehow. 

Would be great if he was to come back, but I can’t see it unfortunately. Would be very surprised if we didn’t offer him a new deal but doubt he would take it!

This is a deal we should do. Won’t be expensive and he’s one for the future. We should go with fox and Penney as our left backs next season. I’d also resign fletcher on reduced terms and the rest of the out of contracts players have go to go for various reasons.

The other players that we bring in over the summer will be on significantly reduced terms. 

4 hours ago, Bouncing Owl said:

This is a deal we should do. Won’t be expensive and he’s one for the future. We should go with fox and Penney as our left backs next season. I’d also resign fletcher on reduced terms and the rest of the out of contracts players have go to go for various reasons.

The other players that we bring in over the summer will be on significantly reduced terms. 

its all so simple isn't it......because it a unilateral decision on whether we can resign Fletcher on reduced terms as no one will offer him better if they get him on a free

And what makes you think Penney wont be expensive.....it will depend on what offers he gets elsewhere......not least St Pauli with 30,000 every week through the doors

• Like 1

I'm not sure on Penney personally. He started well but fell away quite a bit, obviously that was in part due to Jos moving him around a bit and also the team's general drop off in form in the mid part of last season.

From what I've seen, which granted isn't loads the reviews of him have been fairly mixed in Germany. Yes he scored an outstanding goal in the Hamburg derby but other than that it hasn't been that great from what I've read.

Not to say I'd be against giving him a new deal but I'm not sure I see the player others do.

8 hours ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

I'm not sure on Penney personally. He started well but fell away quite a bit, obviously that was in part due to Jos moving him around a bit and also the team's general drop off in form in the mid part of last season.

From what I've seen, which granted isn't loads the reviews of him have been fairly mixed in Germany. Yes he scored an outstanding goal in the Hamburg derby but other than that it hasn't been that great from what I've read.

Not to say I'd be against giving him a new deal but I'm not sure I see the player others do.

I must have read different reviews to you as all im seeing is very positive reviews since his Woodgate Real style debut !!! 

I have not seen much but have kept up with him as I believe he is the left back we should sign up next year not Fox and it looks to me as if Penney is one of there better players and there results are significantly better with him in the side.

For me this should be one of our priorities. Sign him up and play him regularly next year.

9 hours ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

Harsh considering that Penney is yet to start his 30'th game at professional level.

He got all required attributes to be really good left back as he is quick, agile, can get up and down the pitch whole day long, got good left peg, good touch, etc...

He is improving all the time and is getting better with each game. Morgan Fox played over 100 times before we signed him yet it still took him over two seasons to find his feet at this level.

Sometimes I think that we should be bit more patient and forgiving to younger and less experienced players in our squad. 

13 hours ago, malek said:

Harsh considering that Penney is yet to start his 30'th game at professional level.

He got all required attributes to be really good left back as he is quick, agile, can get up and down the pitch whole day long, got good left peg, good touch, etc...

He is improving all the time and is getting better with each game. Morgan Fox played over 100 times before we signed him yet it still took him over two seasons to find his feet at this level.

Sometimes I think that we should be bit more patient and forgiving to younger and less experienced players in our squad. 

Nobody is more of an advocate for that than me believe me.

Again I'll say I'm not saying we shouldn't stick with him I'm more saying when/if he comes back and doesn't rip it up like some think he might then maybe it wouldn't be such a surprise. I'd love him to come back and be the left back we've been crying out for and I hope he will but I'd be lying if I thought that was a certainty. Regardless doesn't mean I'd support him any more or less.

14 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

I must have read different reviews to you as all im seeing is very positive reviews since his Woodgate Real style debut !!! 

I have not seen much but have kept up with him as I believe he is the left back we should sign up next year not Fox and it looks to me as if Penney is one of there better players and there results are significantly better with him in the side.

For me this should be one of our priorities. Sign him up and play him regularly next year.

Depends where you are looking I suppose. Like I say I've seen mixed reviews. Saw him on the TV once, did OK. I don't know the standard of the division well enough to know what to expect really.

10 hours ago, Hougoumont said:

Bang average footballer...that's why he's on loan and not tearing up the Championship.

yep. a bit like that David Beckham bloke was a few years ago....and Harry Kane.....being on loan is a sure sign of a bang average footballer

Edited by Ian
  • Haha 1

Is it usual to send a player you are looking to develop for the future, out on loan until their contract expires? Seems like we may have lost control over Penney’s career. If he’s perceived to have performed well in Germany is there anything to stop any other clubs picking him up in June? 

From what I saw during his time with us there was plenty of promise, but he seemed to lose his confidence. At the time I felt he should have been left at full back rather than experimenting at left midfield (which I personally feel is a harder position than full back).

In summary I reckon Penney’s a decent player, but like most young players needs plenty of support and patience. Just hope we haven’t lost control of his future now. 

On 24/04/2020 at 00:57, TomtheOwl95 said:

i agree - everyone’s got a bit excited because he’s playing abroad albeit arguably at a lower level.

Edited by ka58

He is 22, which is not exactly a young'un.

Has shown glimpses of potential and when his confidence is up he can be a real talent.

Decent back up for Fox and can also play wide left which us handy.

I wouldn't mind either way if he signed again with us or not. I don't think he is destined for stardom but could be the next Liam Palmer I suppose.

On 24/04/2020 at 13:42, Hougoumont said:

Bang average footballer...that's why he's on loan and not tearing up the Championship.

Maybe it's because he wasn't in the manager's plans and the loan would give him a platform to perform and help the Owls decide whether he is a prospect.  A player we are in a position to offer a deal to and one that we should pursue due to age, attributes and the time on his side to improve.  One of the few players we would have with a potential resale value if he does stay.