On this day in 1966 Semi Final Victory !

Played every fixture away.  No home ties.

First and only team ever to do it and reach the final?

A much bigger event then (reaching the final) than now. Sheffield City centre and shop windows were awash with memorabilia and good luck messages. It created a fantastic atmosphere around the city.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

I did not know that.

1965-66 season

Date Match Result Score Competition
22 Jan 1966 Reading v Sheffield Wednesday W 2-3  FA Cup
12 Feb 1966 Newcastle United v Sheffield Wednesday W 1-2 FA Cup
05 Mar 1966 Huddersfield Town v Sheffield Wednesday W 1-2  FA Cup
26 Mar 1966 Blackburn Rovers v Sheffield Wednesday W 1-2  FA Cup
23 Apr 1966 Chelsea v Sheffield Wednesday W 0-2  FA Cup
14 May 1966 Everton v Sheffield Wednesday L 3-2  FA Cup

• Thanks 1

I remember it well especially Vic Mobley hopping and charging forward on one foot (pre- substitute days)

A while ago I uploaded this this interview with Jimmy Mac after the match.

2 hours ago, ReadingOwl said:

Played every fixture away.  No home ties.

First and only team ever to do it and reach the final?

A much bigger event then (reaching the final) than now. Sheffield City centre and shop windows were awash with memorabilia and good luck messages. It created a fantastic atmosphere around the city.

Also the first losing team at an FA Cup final to do a lap of honour as I recall. 

2 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

My Dad took me to this and he was a blade...great day out as a 13 year old and to cap it off my favourite player scored the winner 😄

Who do you score the winner in a 2-0 win?

lol

On 23/04/2020 at 13:40, Pulsar said:

Who do you score the winner in a 2-0 win?

lol

The winning goalscorer in a 2-0 win is the 1st goalscorer, because his goal was the winning goal. The 2nd goal just adds the cherry.

This is the way stats are compiled in other sports. Hockey to name one.

21 minutes ago, torryowl said:

twas a good day out for a 12 year old and was really looking forward to going to Wembley …..eric taylor and his crazy way of selling the final tickets put the kibosh on that dream. 

Probably explains why I couldn't get one for love nor money. Managed to go to every round apart from the final. What did he actually do that there were hardly any tickets left for supporters such as myself who had not missed a game that season?

8 minutes ago, Mountain Owl said:

Probably explains why I couldn't get one for love nor money. Managed to go to every round apart from the final. What did he actually do that there were hardly any tickets left for supporters such as myself who had not missed a game that season?

I'd been going to home games with my dad for about three years at the start of that season, just buying tickets at the turnstile. Dad was convinced that we'd get to Wembley that year so for the first time we had season tickets with my uncle as well in the North. Amazingly he was right so no problem about getting tickets for the final!

But then we did go to every game in the cup run. They were all played in terrible conditions which actually just suited us.

10 hours ago, Mountain Owl said:

postal sales only …..anyone could apply and 100,000 did …...i'd been reading , Newcastle ,hudders,blackburn and the semi  but that counted for nowt . ….my uncle who wasn't even a fan got a ticket and went on a beano weekend ...as uncles go he wernt my favourite 

• Haha 1

I went to all the games up to the semi, along with about 6 or 8 lads from Creswell, but didn't make the Final having joined the RAF some 10 days before and having to work up to 1.00 at RAF Hereford.  Far too late to get to London so sat with a Liverpool supporter in the TV room on camp, we didn't all have our own TV's them, and cried together at the end.  And that N, S, E, W banner is mine!  My mam did a great job on the sewing machine for me. I recognise Phil Clayton on the right of the picture but not anyone else.  All of the away trips were fantastic, proper sticky pitches, but that cup run was a great time to be an Owl.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, torryowl said:

postal sales only …..anyone could apply and 100,000 did …...i'd been reading , Newcastle ,hudders,blackburn and the semi  but that counted for nowt . ….my uncle who wasn't even a fan got a ticket and went on a beano weekend ...as uncles go he wernt my favourite 

As you say what a crazy free for all. At worst it should have been for sale on a weekend at 8am. I would have queued up all night such was my enthusiasm for Wednesday. None of my family or friends obtained one. 

It seemed like Everton had the vast majority of support that day and its always puzzled me why.