Jump to content

Player Power, contracts, and wage deferrals


Recommended Posts

321D0BF8-3B7D-44EB-AA44-37FD71DAC529.jpeg


“Under English law, it wouldn’t be possible to force players to continue to play beyond the June 30 date, which has received so much attention recently, nor would it be possible force them into taking wage cuts or deferrals,” says Simon Leaf, head of sport at London-based law firm Mishcon de Reya

 

“For now, it looks as though clubs will continue to voluntarily ask players to take such steps.

 

“However, clubs, players and agents will be all too aware there are strict FIFA regulations that apply internationally, which prevent clubs from putting pressure on players in this way.

 

“We could end up seeing clubs not only facing censure from the football authorities but also players legitimately being able to walk away from their contracts and joining other clubs early.”


 


Owlstalk Shop

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Players can continue to take their full wages until their contract ends if they want. 

 

However clubs simply have not got the income to pay these contracts for very long.

.

So, it is obvious that many, many clubs will be defunct in the next six months, thus reducing employment prospects for footballers on ANY wages. . To reduce the chances of this, players could voluntarily take substantial pay cuts.

 

Even if clubs survive fans may not be prepared to pay to watch these players anymore. Indeed many fans won't have the disposable income to watch anyway 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This needs sorting asap. It would be very upsetting if we could no longer continue to pay Jordan Rhodes his hard earned cash. 

  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

Players can continue to take their full wages until their contract ends if they want. 

 

However clubs simply have not got the income to pay these contracts for very long.

.

So, it is obvious that many, many clubs will be defunct in the next six months, thus reducing employment prospects for footballers on ANY wages.

 

 

Yeah but individually don't you think each player will be keeping every penny they're owed from their contracts because of that exact scenario facing them?


 


Owlstalk Shop

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

 

 

Yeah but individually don't you think each player will be keeping every penny they're owed from their contracts because of that exact scenario facing them?

Yes you may be right especially the older ones.  I regret that the football I grew up with is over The bloated imitation of the game is about to go the same way.  If we're still alive, though , I'll keep going until MY demise 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not sure why players are being treated as different to the rest of society

 

Surely we can, if we wish ask those players who are out of contract in June to agree to be furloughed at 80% of their normal salary (obviously capped at £2,500 per month) - the players can of course refuse

 

If they refuse we should then be in a position to make them redundant at the statutory minimum based on salary, age and length of employment - a pittance compared to the wages they are currently drawing for doing absolutely nothing

 

Obviously they will not resign in these circumstances but the majority will it seems be let go anyway

 

Surely this is economic reality in the position we and many other clubs find ourselves ......but for some reason the clubs (not only Wednesday) do not seem to see this as an option

 

Is it perhaps that the PFA are exerting pressure to enable the protected species that are professional footballers to again be treated more favourably than the man in the street !

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, leicesterowl said:

I am not sure why players are being treated as different to the rest of society

 

Surely we can, if we wish ask those players who are out of contract in June to agree to be furloughed at 80% of their normal salary (obviously capped at £2,500 per month) - the players can of course refuse

 

If they refuse we should then be in a position to make them redundant at the statutory minimum based on salary, age and length of employment - a pittance compared to the wages they are currently drawing for doing absolutely nothing

 

Obviously they will not resign in these circumstances but the majority will it seems be let go anyway

 

Surely this is economic reality in the position we and many other clubs find ourselves ......but for some reason the clubs (not only Wednesday) do not seem to see this as an option

 

Is it perhaps that the PFA are exerting pressure to enable the protected species that are professional footballers to again be treated more favourably than the man in the street !

 

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

321D0BF8-3B7D-44EB-AA44-37FD71DAC529.jpeg


“Under English law, it wouldn’t be possible to force players to continue to play beyond the June 30 date, which has received so much attention recently, nor would it be possible force them into taking wage cuts or deferrals,” says Simon Leaf, head of sport at London-based law firm Mishcon de Reya

 

“For now, it looks as though clubs will continue to voluntarily ask players to take such steps.

 

However, clubs, players and agents will be all too aware there are strict FIFA regulations that apply internationally, which prevent clubs from putting pressure on players in this way.

 

“We could end up seeing clubs not only facing censure from the football authorities but also players legitimately being able to walk away from their contracts and joining other clubs early.”

 

I'll do all the work for you don't worry...

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

 

 

I'll do all the work for you don't worry...

 

Not sure that any FIFA rules (can anyone actually state what the rules are ?) strict or not overreach UK employment legislation

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, leicesterowl said:

 

Not sure that any FIFA rules (can anyone actually state what the rules are ?) strict or not overreach UK employment legislation

 


Would surely be EU regulation wouldn't it?


 


Owlstalk Shop

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

 


Would surely be EU regulation wouldn't it?

What’s the EU got to do with it? We’ve left now and FIFA is a global body not tied to the EU

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, leicesterowl said:

 

Not sure that any FIFA rules (can anyone actually state what the rules are ?) strict or not overreach UK employment legislation

 

Well apart from being the global governing body for the sport.  

 

And this will all come down to contract law, not employment legislation.  The player contracts will be as tight as a camel's arse in a sand storm.  Otherwise you'd see more players sacked for the dozy stuff they do all the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

 

Don't the EU rules apply for another year?

 

They apply until we write our own.  Which in the current climate won't be for a good long while.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, @owlstalk said:

 

Don't the EU rules apply for another year?

Not sure.. I thought we were free to do what we wanted during the transition period beyond stuff that’s already been agreed with them

Link to post
Share on other sites

With the following season and attendance of fans in doubt.
All these players going out of contract on 30th June could very well find themselves without a club or on contracts on severely reduced wages.

So I can understand why those whose contracts expire on the 30th June are reluctant to take a wage cut/deferral. When there future employment and earning power is in jeopardy.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 31Dec1966 said:

Players can continue to take their full wages until their contract ends if they want. 

 

However clubs simply have not got the income to pay these contracts for very long.

.

So, it is obvious that many, many clubs will be defunct in the next six months, thus reducing employment prospects for footballers on ANY wages. . To reduce the chances of this, players could voluntarily take substantial pay cuts.

 

Even if clubs survive fans may not be prepared to pay to watch these players anymore. Indeed many fans won't have the disposable income to watch anyway 

This is spot on for me. If the players bleed clubs dry there won't be many clubs, and subsequently players, left. Whoever said that players are in a moral vacuum was right, and I hope that people don't forget this

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GLOwl said:

This is spot on for me. If the players bleed clubs dry there won't be many clubs, and subsequently players, left. Whoever said that players are in a moral vacuum was right, and I hope that people don't forget this

 

What should they do then?  Realistically?  Because clubs will go out of business if there are no games and all they have to pay is the gas bill!

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

 

What should they do then?  Realistically?  Because clubs will go out of business if there are no games and all they have to pay is the gas bill!

Best thing would be to furlough all staff, including players, mothball the club and when we get through this totally change their business model. Salaries to players need to come down as do costs for supporters. I'd like to think that this is a massive reality check but I fear we'll go back to how things were.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GLOwl said:

Best thing would be to furlough all staff, including players, mothball the club and when we get through this totally change their business model. Salaries to players need to come down as do costs for supporters. I'd like to think that this is a massive reality check but I fear we'll go back to how things were.

 

And what happens when it turns out that furloughing players is a breach of contract and you've essentially just released your entire squad on a free?

 

If it were that simple, don't you think every club in the country would have just done that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mattitheowl said:

 

And what happens when it turns out that furloughing players is a breach of contract and you've essentially just released your entire squad on a free?

 

If it were that simple, don't you think every club in the country would have just done that?

I was assuming that furloughing players wasn't a breach of contract, I'm not a legal expert so can't say whether this is ok or not, just giving my opinion on what I think should happen. I would have liked all professional players to have reduced their salaries by now, but the fact that very few have speaks volumes and is quite disgusting

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...