Shirt brand

Guest Grez Bez
10 minutes ago, Doug Owlett said:

Why don’t you go on their website and look?

Which one? There is 2 companies on companies House and 4 websites. 

If it is a business and not just a brand created to plough money into SWFC then I'm more worried about Chansiris business sense than ever.

1 minute ago, Grez Bez said:

Which one? There is 2 companies on companies House and 4 websites. 

If it is a business and not just a brand created to plough money into SWFC then I'm more worried about Chansiris business sense than ever.

elev8.co.uk is the only one I know of. Looks like sports clothing to me and has info about the company. Looks straightforward to me

2 hours ago, Doug Owlett said:

Bristol Sport the brand under which the kits were made also supplied all of the sporting teams under their umbrella including Rugby, Basketball and Netball including replica so could probably level out the pricing across all sports. 

It's a fair point, but I suspect there's a conflation between cost and price here. If DC can't afford to sell the kit for less than £60 and still make money, then making the kit in-house is almost certainly a waste of time. It must go without saying that the per-sale margins have been tremendously increased in order to maximize profit.

If we want perform a cost analysis behind what goes into a kit, you'll need to dig a little deeper than what a factory charges to produce it. For example, the likes of Nike spend millions of pounds with international ad agencies like Wieden & Kennedy. A portion of which will be attributed to building marketing campaigns for a big client like Barcelona. Elev8 does nothing of the sort (and neither should they).

Arguing that the club's hand is forced at the £60 price point is just nonsense though, isn't it? With regards to Bristol City, while they may have been able to spread the cost across various arrangements, they still concluded it wasn't worthwhile. Furthermore, now that they've shifted to Hummel, it doesn't seem the fans are going to take the hit.

At the end of the day, loyal Sheffield Wednesday supporters are being asked to pay more, and we're expected to celebrate that... sad

(For what it's worth, Sheffield FC's Adidas kit is £40)

Edited by bobness
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, bobness said:

It's a fair point, but I suspect there's a conflation between cost and price here. If DC can't afford to sell the kit for less than £60 and still make money, then making the kit in-house is almost certainly a waste of time. It must go without saying that the per-sale margins have been tremendously increased in order to maximize profit.

If we want perform a cost analysis behind what goes into a kit, you'll need to dig a little deeper than what a factory charges to produce it. For example, the likes of Nike spend millions of pounds with international ad agencies like Wieden & Kennedy. A portion of which will be attributed to building marketing campaigns for a big client like Barcelona. Elev8 does nothing of the sort (and neither should they).

Arguing that the club's hand is forced at the £60 price point is just nonsense though, isn't it? With regards to Bristol City, while they may have been able to spread the cost across various arrangements, they still concluded it wasn't worthwhile. Furthermore, now that they've shifted to Hummel, it doesn't seem the fans are going to take the hit.

At the end of the day, loyal Sheffield Wednesday supporters are being asked to pay more, and we're expected to celebrate that... sad

(For what it's worth, Sheffield FC's Adidas kit is £40)

That Adidas kit is basically an Adidas V-neck t-shirt with a couple of badges stuck on. The vast majority of teams using Adidas at professional level are charging more than that.

I am glad we have been able to offer something a bit different this season. £59 is too much but a lot of teams are now catching up with us in that respect.

27 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

That Adidas kit is basically an Adidas V-neck t-shirt with a couple of badges stuck on. The vast majority of teams using Adidas at professional level are charging more than that.

I am glad we have been able to offer something a bit different this season. £59 is too much but a lot of teams are now catching up with us in that respect.

I'm aware that the Adidas shirt is a basic one, but it shouldn't really matter if the going rate for a shirt is £60. My only point is that the shirts are sold for less, and that there's definitely a correlation between a team's status and what people should be willing to pay. It's just silly to look at what Barcelona charge, and use it as a pricing guide.

I think the goal should've been to keep the price at £50, provide a better product, while also reducing margins. The mentality of squeezing as much money out of fans as possible isn't in the best interest of our supporters, or club. The culture of the club should be about the community and breeding more supporters. Considering the margins were reduced, it was an opportunity to give back, but instead it was used as an opportunity to maximise profit.

On the topic of the shirt itself, I was particularly impressed to see embroidery. That was definitely a nice touch.

Edited by bobness

6 minutes ago, bobness said:

I'm aware that the Adidas shirt is a basic one, but it shouldn't really matter if the going rate for a shirt is £60. My only point is that the shirts are sold for less, and that there's definitely a correlation between a team's status and what people should be willing to pay. It's just silly to look at what Barcelona charge, and use it as a pricing guide.

I think the goal should've been to keep the price at £50, provide a better product, while also reducing margins. The mentality of squeezing as much money out of fans as possible isn't in the best interest of our supporters, or club. The culture of the club should be about the community and breeding more supporters. Considering the margins were reduced, it was an opportunity to give back, but instead it was used as an opportunity to maximise profit.

On the topic of the shirt itself, I was particularly impressed to see embroidery. That was definitely a nice touch.

All fair points. The club said it would require patience in the first year or so going down this route and it seems we have managed to iron out man of the problems from the previous season in this regard with this seasons kits. Good quality, better availability at the start of the season and from what I remember we have had less problems with availability this season than we have in recent times with more renowned suppliers/manufacturers.

The price is too high and now that we have developed the process as you say we should be in a position to bring this down and still make a profit. 

On 22/04/2020 at 12:43, oldtawnyowl said:

I never saw an Owls shirt in a shop outside Sheffield when they were manufactured by Puma, Diadora etc. either.:wacko:

Bizarrely, I first saw - and bought - the mid-90s Puma shirts (wide blue/white home and dark green away) in a sports shop in Hastings on my summer holiday that year.

Infant kits were particularly disappointing but I hope it’s just a learning curve and they manufacture something better in future. The badges weren’t proper badges on either the shirt or the shorts. And they had no socks in stock (last September) and said to come back in at Christmas with receipt to collect. The socks ended up being plain black (home) and plain white (away) netball socks bought on the cheap - all the same size. A shocker for £50. 

Just now, S13-OWL-B16 said:

Infant kits were particularly disappointing but I hope it’s just a learning curve and they manufacture something better in future. The badges weren’t proper badges on either the shirt or the shorts. And they had no socks in stock (last September) and said to come back in at Christmas with receipt to collect. The socks ended up being plain black (home) and plain white (away) netball socks bought on the cheap - all the same size. A shocker for £50. 

Agreed. The club should have done a bit better here.

Owlstalk Shop

On 24/04/2020 at 16:30, punkskaphil said:

Bizarrely, I first saw - and bought - the mid-90s Puma shirts (wide blue/white home and dark green away) in a sports shop in Hastings on my summer holiday that year.

That’ll be from Wisdens.  Used to get them to order all my Wednesday shirts growing up.  

6 hours ago, Junglejay said:

That’ll be from Wisdens.  Used to get them to order all my Wednesday shirts growing up.  

That's the place. My grandparents lived in Bexhill so we used to visit Hastings regularly. Got my first 'proper' football - a Mitre Delta Cosmic - from there too.

• Like 1

Thank God we manufacture our own shirts and charge the earth for them.

I can't imagine the financial mess from a profit and sustainability point of view the club would be in without squeezing that extra £15/20 out of each sale...

Same goes for ticket prices.

We should all be so thankful we are such a forward thinking club.

21 hours ago, j0hn0508 said:

i buy the Shirt as its blue and white stripes and has a Wednesday badge  on it , its 1st and fore most a Wednesday shirt , regardless of who made it .irs all about the team not the manufacturer IMO

True. But still Ive always wanted an Adidas Owls kit. 

All the cod experts in here..

Its been stated several times by the club and garment professionals (and DJ1 who worked at the club at the time). 

1) the big name manufacturers keep the lions share of the money of a shirt. 80-90% of the retail sale price. The club gets that 10%

2) if youre a big enough brand then sure maybe Mr Nike or Adi Dassler is on the phone to you offering you "the biggest deal outside the premiership" but thats because they reckon theyll make the biggest profit. Man Utd rake in 180mill over 5 years on shirts - because Nike reckon they can sell 100, 200million shirts at £50 profit each. SWFC just arent selling that many shirts worldwide. (100,000?) 

3) To keep their costs down (and their profits up) its a templated shirt for those "smaller brands". Always has been, always will be. 

4) If you manufacture it independently/yourself then the club gets to keep that 90% and just pay out the costs of production to the factory

That said - not getting them delivered until October of a new season is a f**king disgrace.

1 hour ago, jamsandwich said:

All the cod experts in here..

Its been stated several times by the club and garment professionals (and DJ1 who worked at the club at the time). 

1) the big name manufacturers keep the lions share of the money of a shirt. 80-90% of the retail sale price. The club gets that 10%

2) if youre a big enough brand then sure maybe Mr Nike or Adi Dassler is on the phone to you offering you "the biggest deal outside the premiership" but thats because they reckon theyll make the biggest profit. Man Utd rake in 180mill over 5 years on shirts - because Nike reckon they can sell 100, 200million shirts at £50 profit each. SWFC just arent selling that many shirts worldwide. (100,000?) 

3) To keep their costs down (and their profits up) its a templated shirt for those "smaller brands". Always has been, always will be. 

4) If you manufacture it independently/yourself then the club gets to keep that 90% and just pay out the costs of production to the factory

That said - not getting them delivered until October of a new season is a f**king disgrace.

Happened once!