Shirt brand

7 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

As for over priced.  I went on a tour of the Nou Camp, at the end you come out in the shop.  The mrs picked up a shirt and asked if I wanted one.  I said no because I'm a Real fan.  As she put it down she said "good because they are €80".  I'd agree £60 for a football shirt is too much.  But it's just the market value.

Until now I thought only DC was under the impression that Sheffield Wednesday has the same commercial value as Barcelona...

I’m too old to really care about what make our kit is but I just wish we as fans saw some of the financial benefit to it. £60 is a lot. If other brands like Nike/Adidas took such a big cut then surely we could charge less than that and still make more of a profit than what we would have done. As someone else has said if doing it this way was so beneficial I feel like other, particularly big or well run clubs, would be doing it aswell. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bobness said:

Until now I thought only DC was under the impression that Sheffield Wednesday has the same commercial value as Barcelona...

So a football shirt's cost is based on how good the team is?

1 hour ago, PEARSON said:

I’m too old to really care about what make our kit is but I just wish we as fans saw some of the financial benefit to it. £60 is a lot. If other brands like Nike/Adidas took such a big cut then surely we could charge less than that and still make more of a profit than what we would have done. As someone else has said if doing it this way was so beneficial I feel like other, particularly big or well run clubs, would be doing it aswell. 

You've heard of FFP right?  It's just another way of getting more money in to the club.

Bigger clubs will get deals from the manufacturers where they pay them to use their stuff.  We will not get that, even if we were in the prem that would be unlikely.  You don't think Adidas pay United to wear their template kits do you?

Just not bothered...

No problem at all with price gouging on adult shirts. We exist in an FFP world which isn't really fair because many competitors come freighted with TV revenues. Making tickets genuinely unaffordable is one thing, but expensive shirts no problem.

I cannot even begin to get into the head of someone who would prefer to have one or another sportswear brand on an item of clothing, or to prefer to have a brand over no brand. Then again, many adults seem unable to dress themselves properly, and such people surely exist.

Guest Grez Bez

@mattitheowl is right on the sourcing aspect, there is no way we don't make more money doing it.

Why don't others do the same?

Because it's a pain in the arse quite honestly. 

Personally I'd always rather have a brand as I'm shallow, would love a Nike or Adidas kit for the same reason that I wouldn't buy Hi-Tec trainer's.

For what it's worth, this year's kit looks great and I have no issue with elev8, the quality is very good.

Edited by Grez Bez

36 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

We should celebrate the fact that we are one of the first clubs to do it

I can see more going down the same route

We should.  But for some reason our fans think everything the club does is negative.  As this thread has shown, they will literally make up nonsense simply because they don't understand it.  They then use that made up nonsense to bash the club with.  

It baffles me.  If you don't know how something works go and find out, don't just say it can't be true because you don't understand it.

• Thanks 1

Just not bothered...

Just now, mattitheowl said:

We should.  But for some reason our fans think everything the club does is negative.  As this thread has shown, they will literally make up nonsense simply because they don't understand it.  They then use that made up nonsense to bash the club with.  

It baffles me.  If you don't know how something works go and find out, don't just say it can't be true because you don't understand it.

I'm not qualified in the business of purchasing football shirts etc but even I can see that we have produced a great looking shirt, now have our very own brand, and are making more money than ever from football shirts (per shirt).

Owlstalk Shop

Like has been mentioned, the kits will probably be manufactured in the same factories and designs/templates used across the brands with little tweaks.  Look at this one, few changes but this is our current home kit!

Racing Club 2020 Kappa Home Kit #RacingClub #CunaDelAliento #VamosRacing

5 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

You've heard of FFP right?  It's just another way of getting more money in to the club.

Bigger clubs will get deals from the manufacturers where they pay them to use their stuff.  We will not get that, even if we were in the prem that would be unlikely.  You don't think Adidas pay United to wear their template kits do you?

But you say that as if we’re the only team who are subjected to FFP, or need to find alternative ways of making money. If it had such a benefit financially I just think more clubs would have done it already. Also there’s probably some longer term issue with having expensive shirts by a brand know-ones heard of. I know people by shirts to show the team they support but I don’t see that many kids wearing Wednesday shirts when I play 5aside. We’re probably going to have to do something to encourage people to buy the shirts, surely if we can bring down the cost of production then we can also bring down the price.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Grez Bez said:

Personally I'd always rather have a brand as I'm shallow, would love a Nike or Adidas kit for the same reason that I wouldn't buy Hi-Tec trainer's.

At least someone is honest about that.

I'm sick of the bullsh*tters who come up with all sorts of nonsense to try and justify their shallowness and avoid stating this very obvious fact.

5 hours ago, PEARSON said:

But you say that as if we’re the only team who are subjected to FFP, or need to find alternative ways of making money. If it had such a benefit financially I just think more clubs would have done it already. Also there’s probably some longer term issue with having expensive shirts by a brand know-ones heard of. I know people by shirts to show the team they support but I don’t see that many kids wearing Wednesday shirts when I play 5aside. We’re probably going to have to do something to encourage people to buy the shirts, surely if we can bring down the cost of production then we can also bring down the price.

The club said when they started this approach that it would be difficult for a year or two and asked fans to be patient as it would be worth it, I think this years kits and launch have justified that following the problems in previous years. 

The problems and issues we have experienced are probably the main reasons why other clubs have not gone down this route. 

The clubs at Premier League level can demand more money from deals with the big brands due to the exposure they get, I remember when Utd had Adidias in League 1 and a big deal was made about this from some fans but the financial side of the deal was very much in favour of the manufacturer. 

The kits are expensive but most kits at most levels are now a similar price, more in some cases. 

20 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

So a football shirt's cost is based on how good the team is?

If you're referring to the price, then yes, a football team like Barcelona can justifiably sell a shirt for more than Sheffield Wednesday can. Surely you can't be serious!

In this thread it's been mentioned how some other clubs also make their owns kits (which somehow must mean it's a brilliant idea). Bristol City may have been a team in mind, so let's take a look at how much they were charging.

Adult shirt: £45
Youth shirt: £35

Interestingly enough, Bristol City have now decided to stop manufacturing their own kit (even though it's a brilliant idea), and are now going to have their kits supplied by Hummel. While it remains to be seen what they will charge next season, judging by teams with Hummel shirts this year, I expect the price for an adult shirt will remain what it was, and the youth shirt possibly seeing a £5 increase.

On the topic of price, I found DC's kit scheme distasteful. When he openly discussed his ambitions with the fans, I foolishly expected him to pass on some of the savings. I thought the plan was to reduce the cost, making the kit more affordable for the fans, while the club still makes more money.  But no, he reduced the cost and raised the price by £10. No-name brand, and the fans are asked to pay more than they did the previous season.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

At least someone is honest about that.

I'm sick of the bullsh*tters who come up with all sorts of nonsense to try and justify their shallowness and avoid stating this very obvious fact.

Do I get any points for admitting that I'm a cũnt?

Guest Grez Bez

I think more people would back it if it wasn't elev8 and it was more clearly a Wednesday brand. 

What even is elev8,?do they do other things? I see some half arsed Social media but that's all. Is it a clothing brand or drink or both?

7 hours ago, bobness said:

If you're referring to the price, then yes, a football team like Barcelona can justifiably sell a shirt for more than Sheffield Wednesday can. Surely you can't be serious!

In this thread it's been mentioned how some other clubs also make their owns kits (which somehow must mean it's a brilliant idea). Bristol City may have been a team in mind, so let's take a look at how much they were charging.

Adult shirt: £45
Youth shirt: £35

Interestingly enough, Bristol City have now decided to stop manufacturing their own kit (even though it's a brilliant idea), and are now going to have their kits supplied by Hummel. While it remains to be seen what they will charge next season, judging by teams with Hummel shirts this year, I expect the price for an adult shirt will remain what it was, and the youth shirt possibly seeing a £5 increase.

On the topic of price, I found DC's kit scheme distasteful. When he openly discussed his ambitions with the fans, I foolishly expected him to pass on some of the savings. I thought the plan was to reduce the cost, making the kit more affordable for the fans, while the club still makes more money.  But no, he reduced the cost and raised the price by £10. No-name brand, and the fans are asked to pay more than they did the previous season.

Bristol Sport the brand under which the kits were made also supplied all of the sporting teams under their umbrella including Rugby, Basketball and Netball including replica so could probably level out the pricing across all sports. 

4 hours ago, Grez Bez said:

I think more people would back it if it wasn't elev8 and it was more clearly a Wednesday brand. 

What even is elev8,?do they do other things? I see some half arsed Social media but that's all. Is it a clothing brand or drink or both?

Why don’t you go on their website and look?