I think it's great we make loads more money from our kits.

I'd prefer the kits to be more affordable, but it is what it is.

I honestly don't think those who complain it's not a known brand like Puma or Adidas really buy/wear the shirts anyway?

Owlstalk Shop

From a design point of view,

Our home shirt this year is the most unique design in over a decade, and actually nicely done.

Nikes last 10 years templates have been so dull and forgettable. I'd prefer trying something different unless we were in the Prem and was more abut brand exposure

1 minute ago, BowOwl said:

Our home shirt this year is the most unique design in over a decade, and actually nicely done.

Nikes last 10 years templates have been so dull and forgettable. I'd prefer trying something different unless we were in the Prem and was more abut brand exposure

Our current shirt is my second favourite ever.  It's absolutely perfect.

Just not bothered...

1 hour ago, oldtawnyowl said:

I never saw an Owls shirt in a shop outside Sheffield when they were manufactured by Puma, Diadora etc. either.:wacko:

I saw one in a sports shop at the side of the Parc des Princes in Paris.  Mind you it was back in 1989 and they had a United shirt at the side of it. :sad:

1 hour ago, BowOwl said:

Personally not a fan of the current design, but it appears consensus is that most do like it. I prefer a cleaner classic shirt, but that's just how it is when it comes to design and aesthetics, you're never going to please everyone, so can't hurt to do things a bit different sometimes.

Wondering how fans would feel if we did something like this https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52368010? Pescara are also traditionally blue and white striped (although more like a Huddersfield blue)

6 minutes ago, bobness said:

Personally not a fan of the current design, but it appears consensus is that most do like it. I prefer a cleaner classic shirt, but that's just how it is when it comes to design and aesthetics, you're never going to please everyone, so can't hurt to do things a bit different sometimes.

Wondering how fans would feel if we did something like this https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52368010? Pescara are also traditionally blue and white striped (although more like a Huddersfield blue)

No issues with that for an away shirt.  I used to go to Pescara with work, it's a lovely little place.  I'd also buy that shirt!

Just not bothered...

5 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Remember kids it's ESSENTIAL to always slate the pundit/journalist/publication

Alternatively.

Remember kids it's ESSENTIAL to always slate the Chairman.

5 hours ago, room0035 said:

Dear God If you though I meant we have the tea lady knitting on the logos then I can only apologies for your being the only one to think that.

The club are manufacturing the kits themselves that means they are using what ever company they want, but they are paying for the design, the production and the distribution. No I did not mean they had opened a sweat shop on the North stand to make the kits. 

Image result for doh

As far as I’m aware, ELEV8 are manufacturing the shirts 

10 hours ago, RevOwl said:

Interesting listening to Darren Gough on talk sport yesterday talking about how he'd heard that Wednesday turned down Nike's offer of manufacturing the first team kit and training kit even though they offered the biggest deal outside of the premiership. It makes you wonder what's behind DC's thinking. A bit of egotism maybe? 

Disappointing if true and was a good deal.   I think most kids would prefer the Nike brand to Elev8!

• Haha 1

I think Macron produce nice kits.  They have been the supplier to Lazio for years and they always look good.  Also do a nice range of casual wear.  I bought the Lazio kit for my son when me and the wife went to Rome and it has worn well.

52 minutes ago, Marro said:

Disappointing if true and was a good deal.   I think most kids would prefer the Nike brand to Elev8!

Surely most kids want a Wednesday shirt, not a Nike shirt?

Just not bothered...

48 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

Surely most kids want a Wednesday shirt, not a Nike shirt?

Before Elev8 it was Sondico.  For a lot of kids it embarrassing when their mates who support other teams are wearing established brands and they have kits which have fallen to bits

• Haha 2
Just now, Marro said:

Before Elev8 it was Sondico.  For a lot of kids it embarrassing when their mates who support other teams are wearing established brands and they have kits which have fallen to bits

Yeah because Nike stuff is so well made.  Made in the same factory.

I remember being a kid and not once did I lust after the Nike and Adidas kits my Leeds and Man U supporting mates had.  I wanted a Wednesday shirt.  I treasured them.  I never had a single Owls shirt that fell to bits.  I still buy one every year now and the quality is fine. We've had far worse "branded" ones in recent times.  I can remember a yellow Puma one that snagged like a b*tch.  And then another Puma one that felt like it was made out of wall paper.  Then a Diadora one that was pretty crap too.  I've got Marseille and Real Madrid Adidas shirts that aren't any different in quality to the Elev8 Wednesday ones.  But the Wednesday one is special because the badge on the left if what matters.

And if your kids are embarrassed by the brand of shirt they are wearing compared to their mates (especially when it comes to club shirts) then you're doing parenting wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just not bothered...

5 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

Yeah because Nike stuff is so well made.  Made in the same factory.

I remember being a kid and not once did I lust after the Nike and Adidas kits my Leeds and Man U supporting mates had.  I wanted a Wednesday shirt.  I treasured them.  I never had a single Owls shirt that fell to bits.  I still buy one every year now and the quality is fine. We've had far worse "branded" ones in recent times.  I can remember a yellow Puma one that snagged like a b*tch.  And then another Puma one that felt like it was made out of wall paper.  Then a Diadora one that was pretty crap too.  I've got Marseille and Real Madrid Adidas shirts that aren't any different in quality to the Elev8 Wednesday ones.  But the Wednesday one is special because the badge on the left if what matters.

And if your kids are embarrassed by the brand of shirt they are wearing compared to their mates (especially when it comes to club shirts) then you're doing parenting wrong.

The quality of Elev8 kits has in my experience been poor.  My lads kit has fallen to bits and the letters on the back have come away.   This is one of the most expensive kits on the market, especially when you can’t buy it to wear over the Summer and have to wait until the season has started.   When I was a kid I didn’t mind if other teams had Adidas or Nike etc because the kit makers we had (Bukta and Umbro) made hard wearing quality kits.  If sourcing your own kit was such a great idea why don’t many other clubs follow suit?  

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, bobness said:

FFS! Don’t give Chansiri any ideas. He’s already fvvcked up two previous kits. 

Edit: and the badge. 

Edited by shandypants
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Marro said:

The quality of Elev8 kits has in my experience been poor.  My lads kit has fallen to bits and the letters on the back have come away.   This is one of the most expensive kits on the market, especially when you can’t buy it to wear over the Summer and have to wait until the season has started.   When I was a kid I didn’t mind if other teams had Adidas or Nike etc because the kit makers we had (Bukta and Umbro) made hard wearing quality kits.  If sourcing your own kit was such a great idea why don’t many other clubs follow suit?  

So you're saying that doesn't happen with Adidas and Nike kits?

We've been over the sourcing bit earlier in the thread if you want to know the ins and outs just read back.

Also when we had Bukta kits, nobody had Nike kits.

Just not bothered...

8 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

So you're saying that doesn't happen with Adidas and Nike kits?

We've been over the sourcing bit earlier in the thread if you want to know the ins and outs just read back.

Also when we had Bukta kits, nobody had Nike kits.

So you are obviously a fan of the club sourcing it’s own kit?  There may be quality issues with other manufacturers kits but they are delivered on time.  The fact we get our kits in the Autumn is amateurish.  Sourcing your own kit must be such a fantastic money spinner when DC doesn’t do anything to generate any other sustainable commercial revenue for the club.  

We are light years commercially behind other clubs (in lower divisions) and it is not sustainable for DC to continually put  his hand in his own pocket.  Like everyone on here, I want the best for Wednesday and to me the kit is one aspect of us not doing things properly given it is delivered late, is of poor quality and is overpriced.  

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Marro said:

So you are obviously a fan of the club sourcing it’s own kit?  There may be quality issues with other manufacturers kits but they are delivered on time.  The fact we get our kits in the Autumn is amateurish.  Sourcing your own kit must be such a fantastic money spinner when DC doesn’t do anything to generate any other sustainable commercial revenue for the club.  

We are light years commercially behind other clubs (in lower divisions) and it is not sustainable for DC to continually put  his hand in his own pocket.  Like everyone on here, I want the best for Wednesday and to me the kit is one aspect of us not doing things properly given it is delivered late, is of poor quality and is overpriced.  

That's happened once.  And Southampton didn't get their Under Armour ones until well in to the season.  I don't think they've ever been able to buy their away one.

I'm utterly ambivalent as to where we get our kits from or who makes them.  As long as it's the best deal for the club then that's what I want.  I've said before, own brand is always the best deal so evidently this is the case for us. Hell DC is even using the Elev8 "brand" to put money in to the club.  Nike wouldn't be doing that I can guarantee you that.

As for over priced.  I went on a tour of the Nou Camp, at the end you come out in the shop.  The mrs picked up a shirt and asked if I wanted one.  I said no because I'm a Real fan.  As she put it down she said "good because they are €80".  I'd agree £60 for a football shirt is too much.  But it's just the market value.

Just not bothered...

6 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

We've been over the sourcing bit earlier in the thread if you want to know the ins and outs just read back

While I don't think any of us have eyes on the big picture, and therefore don't actually know how the numbers look, I'm on the side of the fence which doesn't believe in manufacturing the kit in-house.

The argument made in favour might make sense, if you were a clothing company. But there are wider business and commercial ramifications that come with the territory. It's not rocket science to conclude that you can make more money doing something on your own, but that doesn't necessarily justify the exercise. So even if the club is making more money when comparing line item against line item (and I'm not convinced it'll be that much more, when accounting for additional overheads, upfront cost, and unsold inventory), it's possible the club is losing out elsewhere.

Considering your experience in business, you'll appreciate that success often relies on focus, and manufacturing a kit can be the source of a massive distraction. Which means that the club would be better served if this attention was put on the actual football operation. How much more so when an owner is this inexperienced. When DC almost immediately decided to manufacture the kit in-house, it seemed a bit amateur-hour to me. As others have mentioned, there's a good reason the vast majority of sports clubs don't think it's worthwhile to manufacture their own kit - not just the elites.

I fully appreciate the argument when it comes to creative freedom on the design, so I'm not saying the idea is all bad, just that in balance I think it's a poor one. Consider the commercial isolation the club finds itself in. Instead of building commercial relationships which come with collateral benefits (such as brand exposure), the club is partnered with fake companies, which offer no long-term value, and which in my opinion harm the club's credibility (yes, I'm fully aware these fake companies are vehicles to pump money into the club - that turned out well!). Regarding the kit itself, from the outside looking in, I think it makes the club look like a bit of a joke. Honestly, I find the whole Elev8 thing embarrassing.

For what it's worth, I might change my tune if Elev8 branches out a bit, perhaps even manufacturing kits for more than just one club, making it an actual business.

• Haha 1