Shirt brand

44 minutes ago, room0035 said:

In all seriousness with the fact we are having to transport the kits 12,000 miles from where they are made in Australia, the time in takes the kit to come out, the thousands of kits left over each season.

Does anyone really think we have made that much by making our own kit 

Nike, Adidas, Puma, Diadora make football kits for a living the cost maybe £5-10 to make and sell for £40.

We have made them ourselves, transported them ourselves, had the shipment arrive late every year, then had to order a volume so the order would be made over what we needed then charge £59 a shirt.

I think when you compare how our shirts are made by a manufacturer, to making them ourselves the difference in profit will be minor but the difference in hassle and reach of the advertising will be massive. outside of Sheffield has anyone seen an Owls shirt in a shop.

Compare that to Leeds Utd shirts made by Kappa probably in every sport store in the UK.

There's so much wrong with that I don't know where to start.  You've never worked in international sourcing have you?

Firstly the kits aren't manufactured in Australia, they are made in China (likely in the same factories as all the other brands).  

Granted we may not be making the same margin at manufacture as the bigger brands due to volumes but it won't be much difference.  The factory will charge the "brand" an amount based on order quantity, we will be no different.  It will be single figure £ value per shirt (if not less).

Shipping them will either be a case of a couple of pallets in a container or maybe air freight, that's not a lot in the grand scheme of things.  You can even negotiate the transport in to the cost of the unit if you want and the factory will arrange delivery.  

As with any manufacturing process there will be a minimum order quantity.  We'll be well above the minimum but there will be price breaks based on quantities (probably why we have loads left every year, it will work out better than going short as it will be more expensive to make per item and will be missed sales).

We're selling at £60 a go, just like the big brands but the difference is whatever margin there is goes straight in our back pocket.  The big brands will take a massive % if you are in a direct deal with them.  The flip side is that actually the "brand" kits are just templates bought through 3rd parties (as our Puma ones were) and you're not even dealing with the brand, you're just dealing with a 3rd party who is taking a share too.

So in reality by doing it ourselves, as much as manufacturing costs will be marginally higher, we'll be making significantly higher margin and profit on them than with any brand on board.

Why do you think all the Supermarkets have their own brand version of everything on the shelves?  And why do you think they are cheaper?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just not bothered...

2 minutes ago, MrEdwards said:

If it's saving us that much money getting the kits made in house, why aren't more clubs doing it?

I think it's more of a pet project

Big Prem teams have deals with the big brands where they get paid to have the brand on the shirt.  The lower down you go the worse the deal gets.  At our level we have to pay them to have their brand on our shirt (they take a big cut of every sale, plus a lump some).

There are a number of other clubs who make their own kits.

• Thanks 1

Just not bothered...

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Remember kids it's ESSENTIAL to always slate the pundit/journalist/publication

I have no respect for the man's views surely that gives me the right to not listen to him but I don't go on social media and lambast the guy ignoring him is good enough for me

3 hours ago, RevOwl said:

Interesting listening to Darren Gough on talk sport yesterday talking about how he'd heard that Wednesday turned down Nike's offer of manufacturing the first team kit and training kit even though they offered the biggest deal outside of the premiership. It makes you wonder what's behind DC's thinking. A bit of egotism maybe? 

Remember its always ESSENTIAL to slag off the chairman. That's fine.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

There's so much wrong with that I don't know where to start.  You've never worked in international sourcing have you?

Firstly the kits aren't manufactured in Australia, they are made in China (likely in the same factories as all the other brands).  

Granted we may not be making the same margin at manufacture as the bigger brands due to volumes but it won't be much difference.  The factory will charge the "brand" an amount based on order quantity, we will be no different.  It will be single figure £ value per shirt (if not less).

Shipping them will either be a case of a couple of pallets in a container or maybe air freight, that's not a lot in the grand scheme of things.  You can even negotiate the transport in to the cost of the unit if you want and the factory will arrange delivery.  

As with any manufacturing process there will be a minimum order quantity.  We'll be well above the minimum but there will be price breaks based on quantities (probably why we have loads left every year, it will work out better than going short as it will be more expensive to make per item and will be missed sales).

We're selling at £60 a go, just like the big brands but the difference is whatever margin there is goes straight in our back pocket.  The big brands will take a massive % if you are in a direct deal with them.  The flip side is that actually the "brand" kits are just templates bought through 3rd parties (as our Puma ones were) and you're not even dealing with the brand, you're just dealing with a 3rd party who is taking a share too.

So in reality by doing it ourselves, as much as manufacturing costs will be marginally higher, we'll be making significantly higher margin and profit on them than with any brand on board.

Why do you think all the Supermarkets have their own brand version of everything on the shelves?  And why do you think they are cheaper?

Trust me when I say this if making your own shirts and selling them instead of using a recognised manufacturer to do it was so profitable the other 90 teams in the football leagues would be doing it.

The long and short of it is when we used a branded shirt fans got to buy and wear their shirts for the whole of the summer, preseason, the owls in the park and the whole season. Since the club started making then the price has gone up 50% the kit arrive by the start of the season if we are lucky, all of the sizes are either incorrect or not UK sized, the list of wee wee tail-ups goes on.

But as long as the club are making more profit out of it so be it, but my early quote was not answered how do you know we are making more money this way?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Remember kids it's ESSENTIAL to always slate the pundit/journalist/publication

This rule should only apply to Alan Biggs and Chris Sutton 

Never trust a man who passes off his own opinions as “this columns” 

Edited by Stoop

3 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Trust me when I say this if making your own shirts and selling them instead of using a recognised manufacturer to do it was so profitable the other 90 teams in the football leagues would be doing it.

The long and short of it is when we used a branded shirt fans got to buy and wear their shirts for the whole of the summer, preseason, the owls in the park and the whole season. Since the club started making then the price has gone up 50% the kit arrive by the start of the season if we are lucky, all of the sizes are either incorrect or not UK sized, the list of wee wee tail-ups goes on.

But as long as the club are making more profit out of it so be it, but my early quote was not answered how do you know we are making more money this way?

Because I understand international sourcing and have worked in own brand manufacturing for about 10 years across a number of different fields from sanitary products to consumer electronics.

You didn't answer my question, if it's such a bad deal to do own brand against a known brand, why do all major retailers offer their own brands?

Own brands are higher margin lower cost in ALL instances, that's a simple fact of it.

So you'll forgive me if I don't "Trust you when you say" anything about this subject.  Because you're looking at it from a point of complete ignorance.  

As for all your other bluster, last season's shirt was available before the start of the season. In fact the only one I can remember being late was the 150th anniversary one.  We had a similar issue when we used Lotto I seem to remember.

And ultimately yes, as long as the club are making more profit out of it so be it, that's literally the only reason replica shirts exist!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just not bothered...

Correct me if I am wrong but a guy called Mick Spencer does not sound very Chinese I suppose his factory could be in China but what is more likely it is based in Australia where his company is

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/how-a-tech-sportwear-startup-went-from-turning-down-shark-tank-to-the-1st-australian-company-kitting-out-an-epl-team-2017-8

I was wrong on the miles it turns out Sheffield to Queensland is only 9,676 miles.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

Because I understand international sourcing and have worked in own brand manufacturing for about 10 years across a number of different fields from sanitary products to consumer electronics.

You didn't answer my question, if it's such a bad deal to do own brand against a known brand, why do all major retailers offer their own brands?

Own brands are higher margin lower cost in ALL instances, that's a simple fact of it.

So you'll forgive me if I don't "Trust you when you say" anything about this subject.  Because you're looking at it from a point of complete ignorance.  

As for all your other bluster, last season's shirt was available before the start of the season. In fact the only one I can remember being late was the 150th anniversary one.  We had a similar issue when we used Lotto I seem to remember.

And ultimately yes, as long as the club are making more profit out of it so be it, that's literally the only reason replica shirts exist!

You run a business selling good, the current chairman has said I don't know how many times he has no footballing knowledge his family run a fish business, presumably he has not got 10 years experience in manufacturing shirts either.

Do you honestly think that the club are making more money from making the shirts themselves than the would be making getting a 15-20% cut from a named brand. 

I truly hope you are correct because it would be the first part of the club that is being run better now than before he took over because we are losing money everywhere else.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Nero said:

Remember its always ESSENTIAL to slag off the chairman. That's fine.

He just makes is so easy because there is so many things he is completely ballsing up. lol

I would list but I think there is a 4,000 word limit and there is not enough space. :duntmatter:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, room0035 said:

You run a business selling good, the current chairman has said I don't know how many times he has no footballing knowledge his family run a fish business, presumably he has not got 10 years experience in manufacturing shirts either.

Do you honestly think that the club are making more money from making the shirts themselves than the would be making getting a 15-20% cut from a named brand. 

I truly hope you are correct because it would be the first part of the club that is being run better now than before he took over because we are losing money everywhere else.

You're further showing your complete ignorance to the situation by saying the club are manufacturing the shirts themselves.  Nando and Bannan aren't sat at home sewing the shirts you know.  They are bought from a factory in China.  We will have employed a designer to come up with the designs, sent it to the shirt manufacturer, they will have made them and shipped them to us (they came via DHL, I saw the boxes in the shop).  It's just a transaction.  It's like when you go to the supermarket and wander up and down.  Do you buy the Andrex or the Tesco own brand.  You look at the price tag and see the "price per roll" and then choose what you want.  It's just the same.  You decide how many you want (it's more economical to buy more than less, same as bog rolls), what quality you want (there will be a number of quality options to choose from)  and then off you go.  There is no R&D, no consumer testing.  They are literally just ordering a load of shirts form the same factory as Nike and Adidas.  The difference is that Nike and Adidas might be able to leverage slightly better pricing based on volumes across a number of different lines (10 clubs for example rather than one) but they will take the majority of the sales price.  

On a shirt at £59.99 retail we'll be making £40 minimum.  With a Nike one it would probably be closer to £15 if we got all the number right on projected sales etc.  So having a load left over at the end of the year doesn't matter because you've already made more than enough profit to pay for them and more.

• Thanks 1

Just not bothered...

3 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

You're further showing your complete ignorance to the situation by saying the club are manufacturing the shirts themselves.  Nando and Bannan aren't sat at home sewing the shirts you know.  They are bought from a factory in China.  We will have employed a designer to come up with the designs, sent it to the shirt manufacturer, they will have made them and shipped them to us (they came via DHL, I saw the boxes in the shop).  It's just a transaction.  It's like when you go to the supermarket and wander up and down.  Do you buy the Andrex or the Tesco own brand.  You look at the price tag and see the "price per roll" and then choose what you want.  It's just the same.  You decide how many you want (it's more economical to buy more than less, same as bog rolls), what quality you want (there will be a number of quality options to choose from)  and then off you go.  There is no R&D, no consumer testing.  They are literally just ordering a load of shirts form the same factory as Nike and Adidas.  The difference is that Nike and Adidas might be able to leverage slightly better pricing based on volumes across a number of different lines (10 clubs for example rather than one) but they will take the majority of the sales price.  

On a shirt at £59.99 retail we'll be making £40 minimum.  With a Nike one it would probably be closer to £15 if we got all the number right on projected sales etc.  So having a load left over at the end of the year doesn't matter because you've already made more than enough profit to pay for them and more.

Dear God If you though I meant we have the tea lady knitting on the logos then I can only apologies for your being the only one to think that.

The club are manufacturing the kits themselves that means they are using what ever company they want, but they are paying for the design, the production and the distribution. No I did not mean they had opened a sweat shop on the North stand to make the kits. 

Image result for doh

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

In all seriousness with the fact we are having to transport the kits 12,000 miles from where they are made in Australia, the time in takes the kit to come out, the thousands of kits left over each season.

Does anyone really think we have made that much by making our own kit 

Nike, Adidas, Puma, Diadora make football kits for a living the cost maybe £5-10 to make and sell for £40.

We have made them ourselves, transported them ourselves, had the shipment arrive late every year, then had to order a volume so the order would be made over what we needed then charge £59 a shirt.

I think when you compare how our shirts are made by a manufacturer, to making them ourselves the difference in profit will be minor but the difference in hassle and reach of the advertising will be massive. Outside of Sheffield has anyone seen an Owls shirt in a shop.

Compare that to Leeds Utd shirts made by Kappa probably in every sport store in the UK.

I never saw an Owls shirt in a shop outside Sheffield when they were manufactured by Puma, Diadora etc. either.:wacko:

4 hours ago, RevOwl said:

Interesting listening to Darren Gough on talk sport yesterday talking about how he'd heard that Wednesday turned down Nike's offer of manufacturing the first team kit and training kit even though they offered the biggest deal outside of the premiership. It makes you wonder what's behind DC's thinking. A bit of egotism maybe? 

'Send reinforcements, we're going to advance 

' 'Send three and four pence we're going to a dance

Is he a director of Nike  or something? Anyway, what makes nike so different from many other suppliers?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Dear God If you though I meant we have the tea lady knitting on the logos then I can only apologies for your being the only one to think that.

The club are manufacturing the kits themselves that means they are using what ever company they want, but they are paying for the design, the production and the distribution. No I did not mean they had opened a sweat shop on the North stand to make the kits. 

Image result for doh

20 minutes ago, room0035 said:

That statement right there belays what you've just said.

You don't need ANY experience making anything to engage with a factory in China and buy a load of stuff.

His family might run a "fish business" but don't you think they have to source materials and arrange international distribution?

Or do you think him and his brother catch, can and distribute all the tuna themselves from the back of their reliant robin?

• Thanks 1

Just not bothered...

The "Brand Manufacturer" argument is bizarre, simply because most of them (especially below the very best top-of-the-top 'Elite' teams) are made in the same middle-eastern factories, on the same machines, using the same materials. You prefer a Puma, or Adidas, or Nike kit? Chances are that at our level the same factory produces all three and more.

The only real differences are in design and gimmicks (and sometimes the cut, but often that is even left to the 'Elite' teams).

At the very top of the Elite teams, the "manufacturer brand" pays the club and creates bespoke designs. At our level the club have to pay for the kit and the "manufacturer brand" becomes a licensee of that brand and only gives the option of selecting from a set of pre-determined designs and just adding your own colours onto them.

When we were with Puma (it wasn't actually Puma directly, it was Genesis Sports who licensed the Puma brand in the UK) in ~2010, we had to pay ~£13 per shirt (went up if you added things like a collar). Remember the two stripes on the shoulders, etc? They were forced on us by the brand. To make them 'unique' to us all we could do was tweak the design a little... For instance the 'pin stripes' by the broader stripes in our promotion year kit were added by us at the club, the 'Owl' on the silver away kit was added by us. Of course the sponsor logos, Childrens Hospital bear, etc, were added by us. Everything else on those kits were mandated by the brand. We then had to pay for things like freight shipping (choice between air freight for more expensive speedier delivery or sea freight which was lots cheaper but took way longer, etc).

By doing it 'ourselves' we theoretically have a greater control on the design and produce them at a lower cost. How that realistically translates (and what relationship 'Elev8' have in that process), I don't know. But the kit is likely fashioned in the same way and perhaps in the same factories even.

• Thanks 2