September

11 hours ago, devonshire owl said:

Just heard on the news that vaccines will be starting this week,but not in full force until September,and in the new year,so not much chance of football now for a long time.your views please.

I like you thinking the only problem is in this country greed will mean the EPL and The EFL are completed no matter who is put at risk for it. They don't care about the clubs or the fans only lining their pockets with the broadcast money.

When you read stories all round the world of sports men and women coming together to support their countries and their people. Ours in this country spend their time posting on facebook and twatter and doing little or nothing to help those struggling to get by in their local communities.

Roma players have taken a 100% put cut for 4 months and are also helping to pay for the rest of the staff at the club, our club cannot even donate 1 weeks wages to a local foodbank with wages of over £3m a month the club has managed between themselves to donate £25,000 and some of this was donated by the fans.

How many of the 20 team in the EPL and the 24 teams in the EFL have actually taken a pay cut so those on a lot less income can get some guarantee in this difficult time currently the figure stands at 0. All the EPL clubs that have deals in place are either deferment, or in Arsenal case bonuses paid later based on league performance. Our top 2 league are showing themselves up for what they truly are...

Football in front of fans won't be happening for a long time. Probably 18 months at least and that's if we find a vaccine. 

Football behind closed doors will surely return much sooner but as others have highlighted that brings challenges of its own. 

I know football is unimportant in the grand scheme of things but it's scary to think how many clubs could well go to the wall before this is all over. Maybe it will benefit the sport in the long run but at the cost of lots of short term pain. 

18 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I like you thinking the only problem is in this country greed will mean the EPL and The EFL are completed no matter who is put at risk for it. They don't care about the clubs or the fans only lining their pockets with the broadcast money.

When you read stories all round the world of sports men and women coming together to support their countries and their people. Ours in this country spend their time posting on facebook and twatter and doing little or nothing to help those struggling to get by in their local communities.

Roma players have taken a 100% put cut for 4 months and are also helping to pay for the rest of the staff at the club, our club cannot even donate 1 weeks wages to a local foodbank with wages of over £3m a month the club has managed between themselves to donate £25,000 and some of this was donated by the fans.

How many of the 20 team in the EPL and the 24 teams in the EFL have actually taken a pay cut so those on a lot less income can get some guarantee in this difficult time currently the figure stands at 0. All the EPL clubs that have deals in place are either deferment, or in Arsenal case bonuses paid later based on league performance. Our top 2 league are showing themselves up for what they truly are...

Stop being such a drama queen. Didn’t you read the PFA statement. If they take a pay cut the loss of tax to HMRC will mean they have to close the NHS. they are only doing it for us. 

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Stop being such a drama queen. Didn’t you read the PFA statement. If they take a pay cut the loss of tax to HMRC will mean they have to close the NHS. they are only doing it for us. 

Captain Tom has that covered

1 hour ago, Plonk said:

Yep because every footballer is paying the same tax rates as the man in the street.

All earning over £150,000 should be taxed at 45% and national insurance at 13.8% so they should be paying half of their salaries in tax - I bet you will struggle to find one footballer paying anymore than 19% the rate limited companies pay on their tax.

1 hour ago, NorthernOwl said:

Football in front of fans won't be happening for a long time. Probably 18 months at least and that's if we find a vaccine. 

Football behind closed doors will surely return much sooner but as others have highlighted that brings challenges of its own. 

I know football is unimportant in the grand scheme of things but it's scary to think how many clubs could well go to the wall before this is all over. Maybe it will benefit the sport in the long run but at the cost of lots of short term pain. 

Just don't understand how the EFL works behind closed doors.  Who's paying the players with no fans through the gates?

Just not bothered...

With Chansiri & Monk in charge I’m happy just watching our old season highlights and goals at the moment.  Also enjoying watching shows like Match of their day and the PL season reviews on sky. Anything to escape the reality of the current setup is fine with me

Can't see it happening any time this year.

I think that behind closed doors is a bad idea too. As people have said already, it still involves huge numbers of people. Also, no way will fans stay in the house if their team has success such as Leeds and Liverpool. They will be near the stadium or on the streets celebrating. I'm not having a ppp because I don't like those two clubs, it is just how it will go. We would be the same.

Guest LondonOwl313
35 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Yep because every footballer is paying the same tax rates as the man in the street.

All earning over £150,000 should be taxed at 45% and national insurance at 13.8% so they should be paying half of their salaries in tax - I bet you will struggle to find one footballer paying anymore than 19% the rate limited companies pay on their tax.

It’s only 1% NI once you get to the 40% rate of tax I think.. but yeah it’s nearly half. Why would they be paying only 19%? They aren’t paid via a company surely. I’m pretty sure one of the players mentioned that half the money goes on tax, which you’d expect.. think it was Rooney in his newspaper column

Guest LondonOwl313
2 hours ago, room0035 said:

It’s a joke that they aren’t furloughed.. think football in general are in denial about how long this will last. If we effectively miss a season, which seems possible, most clubs will go to the wall paying the wages out. The players are potentially cutting off their future earnings to squeeze a bit more out now.. just greed

49 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Do you just talk without any knowledge about every subject.  It's like a stream of consciousness with no actual thought.

Below is a copy of Carlos Tevez's pay slip from his time at City.  As you can see, his tax is significantly more than 19%.  It's PAYE, they can't fudge it.

image.png

Just not bothered...

11 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

It’s a joke that they aren’t furloughed.. think football in general are in denial about how long this will last. If we effectively miss a season, which seems possible, most clubs will go to the wall paying the wages out. The players are potentially cutting off their future earnings to squeeze a bit more out now.. just greed

They have mortgages to pay too you know.  Yes the very very elite won't need to worry.  But the lads in the Championship won't be able to afford to go without pay for a year!

• Thanks 1

Just not bothered...

Guest LondonOwl313
Just now, mattitheowl said:

They have mortgages to pay too you know.  Yes the very very elite won't need to worry.  But the lads in the Championship won't be able to afford to go without pay for a year!

Why can’t they take a payment holiday like everyone else.. the lads in the championship? What’s the average wage? Must be getting on for 10 grand a week so surely they have a bit put away for a rainy day. Everyone can live off 2.5k a month if needed

3 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Why can’t they take a payment holiday like everyone else.. the lads in the championship? What’s the average wage? Must be getting on for 10 grand a week so surely they have a bit put away for a rainy day. Everyone can live off 2.5k a month if needed

How much do you think the mortgage is on a £2m house?

It's like people haven't seen the number of footballers who've gone bankrupt over the years.

Young men given lots of money with little education will be more likely to have bought a fancy new car (or leased) than invested it in stocks and shares.  And even if they had invested it, they can't necessarily get at the money (which is now worthless because the markets have tanked).

It's too easy to look at the situation with no knowledge and just say "they're rich so they should give up a load of money".  

In no way am I saying they shouldn't be doing something, but at the same time to suggest they will all be fine taking a massive pay cut and possibly losing their jobs in a month is fine because they're "rich".  

Just not bothered...

10 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

Do you just talk without any knowledge about every subject.  It's like a stream of consciousness with no actual thought.

Below is a copy of Carlos Tevez's pay slip from his time at City.  As you can see, his tax is significantly more than 19%.  It's PAYE, they can't fudge it.

image.png

You can only adhere to the validity for the above presumably someone posted it on social media somewhere, but the inland revenue is currently investigate about 200+ footballers and about 30-40 top flight clubs for tax evasion where clubs are paying lower salaries to avoid paying tax and giving bigger image rights. Corporation tax is 19% income tax is 45% you can see why they are doing it.

Below is an article from 2019 and as you may or may not know these things drag on because of very good lawyers tying things in courts for years on end

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-01-21/record-number-of-footballers-under-investigation-by-hmrc-over-tax-avoidance/

And no I don't talk without knowledge but I do not believe everything I see on social media as gospel.

Guest LondonOwl313
1 minute ago, mattitheowl said:

How much do you think the mortgage is on a £2m house?

It's like people haven't seen the number of footballers who've gone bankrupt over the years.

Young men given lots of money with little education will be more likely to have bought a fancy new car (or leased) than invested it in stocks and shares.  And even if they had invested it, they can't necessarily get at the money (which is now worthless because the markets have tanked).

It's too easy to look at the situation with no knowledge and just say "they're rich so they should give up a load of money".  

In no way am I saying they shouldn't be doing something, but at the same time to suggest they will all be fine taking a massive pay cut and possibly losing their jobs in a month is fine because they're "rich".  

A lot but it’s not relevant.. if they have a payment holiday it’s zero!

I don’t agree with a single word you’ve put after that if I’m honest. The country’s economy is completely screwed because of this and people everywhere are having to make sacrifices. I can’t believe you think we should feel sorry for players who have wasted it all on cars and not saved anything. I’m sorry but if they have no mortgage to pay, and they’re sat in the house like everyone else, they can live off 2.5k a month. All they need to pay is food and utilities and they don’t cost more just because you’re a millionaire 

Would scrap all uncertainty and just bin all the leagues and cups and start again in September even if behind closed doors.

Hopefully the anti-virals and testing will have moved on as much as vaccines and a combination will make it possible to do it.

2 minutes ago, room0035 said:

You can only adhere to the validity for the above presumably someone posted it on social media somewhere, but the inland revenue is currently investigate about 200+ footballers and about 30-40 top flight clubs for tax evasion where clubs are paying lower salaries to avoid paying tax and giving bigger image rights. Corporation tax is 19% income tax is 45% you can see why they are doing it.

Below is an article from 2019 and as you may or may not know these things drag on because of very good lawyers tying things in courts for years on end

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-01-21/record-number-of-footballers-under-investigation-by-hmrc-over-tax-avoidance/

And no I don't talk without knowledge but I do not believe everything I see on social media as gospel.

The loophole was closed in 2017.  And 170 players isn't exactly the whole industry is it!  At a conservative estimate it's 5%.  You said none are paying the correct tax rate.  In fact your own evidence suggests 95% are.

As for believing what's on social media, there have been loads of leaked pay slips over the years and every one shows them paying PAYE, mainly because they HAVE to.  The clubs would get hammered if they weren't paying their players properly.

image.png

Just not bothered...

7 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

A lot but it’s not relevant.. if they have a payment holiday it’s zero!

I don’t agree with a single word you’ve put after that if I’m honest. The country’s economy is completely screwed because of this and people everywhere are having to make sacrifices. I can’t believe you think we should feel sorry for players who have wasted it all on cars and not saved anything. I’m sorry but if they have no mortgage to pay, and they’re sat in the house like everyone else, they can live off 2.5k a month. All they need to pay is food and utilities and they don’t cost more just because you’re a millionaire 

Why would the have no mortgage?

Also you could say the same about anyone.  Why should I feel sorry for the bloke who's been laid off from his job in Debenhams, he should have planned better for a global pandemic and saved more money.

I'm not saying I feel sorry for them, I don't. I'm saying it's too easy to say "you're rich you can manage" with no knowledge of the finances beyond "they're a footballer so must be rich".

There's been videos of Jacob Murphy out delivering shopping and prescriptions.  Premier League footballers have set up a fund that they're all paying in to to help benefit NHS charities.

It isn't footballers fault they are well paid, after all they are the reason the game exists.  What they spend it on is their business and nobody else's.  You can't sit in your ivory tower and say someone's income should be taken away simply because you don't like the situation.  How much have government ministers given up out of interest?  How much have football chairmen given up out of interest?

It's always the players that get attacked.

Just not bothered...