Jump to content

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, casbahowl said:

How on earth can you quantify that statement?

He can't 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, @owlstalk said:


I'd be interested in hearing what a neutral person see's 

I don't think they'd be able to tell any difference between 'our lot' and 'any other lot'

 

 

 

Think fans get caught up with the notion that players should have an emotional attachment like they do to the club that they ply their trade at. To say that players don't care when they likely have their own ambitions to play at the top, whether in the Premier League or represent their country, lacks understanding.

 

It's pure football tribalism, praising one lot for taking temporary wage reductions or deferment whilst criticising another because they have a billionaire owner who could bankroll not taking the option. Whatever suits one's agenda.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering most of the first team squad is out of contract in eight weeks or so there would be very little incentive for them to defer any wages, especially as they may not get a new contract elsewhere any time soon. 

 

As for the others I suspect negotiations will be ongoing but I can't see an issue is delaying £2k a week on a £10k per week contract. 

 

Whilst for some it's a finance motivated reasons, others will make a social judgement call and take the money later. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Marro said:

I can’t see many of the players who will soon be out of contract agreeing to a wage deferral / pay cut unless (1) they have a conscience or (2) want to try and negotiate a new contract!

 

And to be fair why should they? They are soon out of a job and entering a market where wages will be massively reduced. Why would they put a club that doesn't want them above their own financial security. Would you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, @owlstalk said:


I'd be interested in hearing what a neutral person see's 

I don't think they'd be able to tell any difference between 'our lot' and 'any other lot'

 

 

 

The difference is between the culture of the clubs rather than individual players. 

 

Players will adapt to the norms of the clubs they play at. If as people say our players are only interested in money and not the club then the blame for that lies with management. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Putney said:

 

Think fans get caught up with the notion that players should have an emotional attachment like they do to the club that they ply their trade at. To say that players don't care when they likely have their own ambitions to play at the top, whether in the Premier League or represent their country, lacks understanding.

 

It's pure football tribalism, praising one lot for taking temporary wage reductions or deferment whilst criticising another because they have a billionaire owner who could bankroll not taking the option. Whatever suits one's agenda

Agree about the emotional attachment but surely they must have some compassion and understanding? They can see what's happening yet are very slow to react.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the end of all of this those multi million pound paid players and the millionaires like Branson expecting the Government to bail out his privately owned company.

 

But it is the low paid shop workers on minimum wages and the doctor and nurses that will keep this country moving not the ones thinking about their bank balances before people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, room0035 said:

At the end of all of this those multi million pound paid players and the millionaires like Branson expecting the Government to bail out his privately owned company.

 

But it is the low paid shop workers on minimum wages and the doctor and nurses that will keep this country moving not the ones thinking about their bank balances before people.

Spot on mate, well said. Sadly, I suspect most will forget the actions we're now seeing and normal (totally wrong in my opinion) service will resume. I hope not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, torryowl said:

.ive never read of a player coming out saying what there wage is  or a manager saying what a certain player earns …….ive seen wild  conjecture that Rhodes is on 30 -40 -50 grand a week but never anything coming officially from the club …...

You can’t say it’s wild until they come out and confirm it / deny it.

 

The fact that we are up the creek financially tells me we have been indulgent with salaries.

I saw an article where Dave Jones admitted he’d been offered in the region of 10k a week to come here. 


Dave Jones.

 

£10k.

 

A week.

 

£10k every 7 days.

Edited by Sergeant Tibbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NorthernOwl said:

 

And to be fair why should they? They are soon out of a job and entering a market where wages will be massively reduced. Why would they put a club that doesn't want them above their own financial security. Would you?

Probably wouldn’t if I was in their shoes, although to be honest I’ll be glad to see the back of the deadwood.  Downing tools since Christmas is criminal.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

Well no but somebody’s actions determine other people’s opinion of them and in order maintain a promotion push you have to have certain qualities that I think most players at the club lack.

 

Since Boxing Day I have seen numerous displays to lead me to the conclusion that this group of players not only lack character but also show a distinct lack of pride in what they are doing.

 

Not least the 5-0 defeat to Blackburn, 3-0 defeat to Reading, 3-1 defeat to Derby, 5-0 defeat to Brentford and absolutely awful displays and defeats at Wigan and Luton.

 

Just my opinion and how I see it, in the last 20 years where we have been absolutely awful only a handful of times have I heard the fans singing “you’re not fit to wear that shirt” and I’ve heard it at least 3 times this season.

I agree with a lot of what you have said. Those defeats you have mentioned of course fell well below the standard expected. I will say I still find the "they lack pride" argument a bit easy, they didn't lack pride against City for example, they didn't lack pride against Charlton. 

 

The drop off in form is bad but part of it is down to a levelling out in my opinion. This was never a promotion push, particularly when Bruce left. Kind of feel a lot of the anger/frustration at the team over the last few months is from expectations being too high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wage deferrals mean nothing at a club like Wednesday who have a wealthy owner. Or even wage cuts for that matter. Although the latter would help with FFP/P&S issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...