Refund

11 hours ago, 31Dec1966 said:

No they won't. Footballers use every trick in the book to avoid paying tax, they certainly won't be paying 40,000 a week. They use image rights, companies, etc to reduce their tax bill. Players have used your argument to justify being paid full wages but it's spurious, they are just greedy. And NI is not paid at the full rate on wages of 5.2 million a year . 

Many, many clubs will go bust paying wages with no income. This will mean a huge loss to the community/fans aswell as a loss to local authorities (rates) and the treasury as there will be no players to pay tax at all

Their basic wage is subject to PAYE.  So they will be paying the standard tax rates like everyone else.  Any bonuses and image rights deals will basically be on hold because nobody is buying shirts with their names on and they aren't playing.

And how can you blame the players (employees) for making a club go bust when they are owned by millionaires (and in a good few cases billionaires).  Think what you like about football but without the players the game is nothing, they are the ones that do all the work.  If you want to hammer agents, media men and owners, have at it.  But the players are the ones who do all the work.  

Just not bothered...

12 hours ago, handworth52 said:

the health system is nowhere near been overrun and that was at the peak ,that was 1 of the main reasons of lockdown to stop the nhs getting overrun and causing undue death. there are no easy answers to any of this and what is the right and wrong thing to do . I just can see the huge damage this is doing , suicide etc ,people not going to hospital for urgent treatment for other things or doctors ,the fear is creating absolute havoc and im sure like whats been reported a lot more will die from other reasons. I know of 2 people in there mid eighties who have survived this evil disease . its possible and I don't think it should be ruled out maybe only allowing under 50s to attend games until a vaccine is found anyone over that would have to wear a mask. 

I’m over 50 and very fit and healthy. I’d go as far as saying I’m fitter and healthier than most men 30+ years my junior. 

16 hours ago, the third man said:

Was talking about this season, if next season is cancelled I would consider holding it over for the season after, but that would depend on what the players will do,

Don't think I want to fund the club for a year if the players do nothing

if the players are playing behind closed doors then they will still demand being paying the same i would imagine

In any other leisure industry, it would be and is a given that if you can't provide the service payed for, you have to offer a refund.

Also be careful what we wish for.Iv wanted this season to disappear since Xmas but not under the present circumstances.

Edited by owlsdreamer

2 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

They are all working from home like the rest of us.

But they're working very part time and still pulling 100% wages.

I want a refund, not from the club but from the players. Lots of people are on reduced or no wages right now so why shouldn't they get a refund? They've paid for something they're not going to get, simple isn't it?

2 minutes ago, GLOwl said:

But they're working very part time and still pulling 100% wages.

I want a refund, not from the club but from the players. Lots of people are on reduced or no wages right now so why shouldn't they get a refund? They've paid for something they're not going to get, simple isn't it?

So they play 90mins a week in front of fans, and train what 3 hours a day for 4 days?  So assuming they're doing 3 hours a day for 5 days a week they're not actually doing any less work.  How is that very part time?

Just not bothered...

3 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

So they play 90mins a week in front of fans, and train what 3 hours a day for 4 days?  So assuming they're doing 3 hours a day for 5 days a week they're not actually doing any less work.  How is that very part time?

They're ticking over at home, not full training. There can be 2 games per week some weeks. Also, no club community work. That's why it's very part time

4 minutes ago, GLOwl said:

They're ticking over at home, not full training. There can be 2 games per week some weeks. Also, no club community work. That's why it's very part time

I'm working from home on full pay, should I be paying back a chunk of my wage to our customers?

Just not bothered...

2 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

I'm working from home on full pay, should I be paying back a chunk of my wage to our customers?

I suspect you are working full time, as you were before. Totally different.

1 minute ago, GLOwl said:

I suspect you are working full time, as you were before. Totally different.

I'm working the same hours and my output isn't being affected.  Surely footballers could argue the same though.  They're training at home for who knows how many hours.  They might be doing more than normal.  The only difference is I don't have to go out in public and perform for 2 hours every week.

Just not bothered...

Just now, mattitheowl said:

I'm working the same hours and my output isn't being affected.  Surely footballers could argue the same though.  They're training at home for who knows how many hours.  They might be doing more than normal.  The only difference is I don't have to go out in public and perform for 2 hours every week.

Think you've just answered your own question/argument 😀