Rotherham 2 WEDNESDAY 2 1982

Guest Garryswfcowl72

Guest Garryswfcowl72

This game will always be remembered for the Tony Towner dive it was so blatant sure Bannister got both goals I went on the tivoli end that night & I seem to remember WEDNESDAY fans getting thrown off it & getting crushed in the corner does anyone else remember it ?

That was the night match, loads of us on Tivoli got moved round to that poxy little away end, people could hardly breathe it was so crammed, it might even have been a warm evening, I remember some kid was stood next to me passed out at one bit, the noise on there though was deafening at times when everyone sang, that low roof helped. Copper on the train after the match told us about HMS Sheffield getting sunk.

4 hours ago, Garryswfcowl72 said:

This game will always be remembered for the Tony Towner dive it was so blatant sure Bannister got both goals I went on the tivoli end that night & I seem to remember WEDNESDAY fans getting thrown off it & getting crushed in the corner does anyone else remember it ?

Still remember it very vividly because me and a mate of mine got into the ground via Booths scrapyard which was at the back of the away end.:tango:

buggered if I can remember why but had to pick up my tickets on the night from rovrum and was told to report to the players entrance .chap took us inside and feck me there was emlyn hughes handing me the tickets …...as for the game the most blatant dive ive ever  seen from towner for the pen . 

11 hours ago, Rogers said:

Another Rotherham were we struggled and failed to beat an inferior side? 

Rotherham were a decent side that season. They'd taken the momentum from winning Div 3 the previous season and had been on the fringes of the promotion race for much of the second half of the season. They finished 7th, 3 points behind us. In isolation,  it wasn't a bad result but we needed the win given the loss at Watford and the draw at home to Chelsea (I think it was) 

10 hours ago, Nero said:

Think I actually frothed at the  mouth when Towner got that pen. Hughes RIP milked it big time. 

Massive crush at the end.

Absolutely. Shocking dive and an even worse decision. For Hughes to behave like he did after scoring the was a disgrace and could easily have led to serious crowd trouble. Someone with his experience should have known better