Newcastle takeover

Guest Bulgaria

Guest Bulgaria

The ethical/human rights aspects of a Saudi funded takeover have been on my mind, and I think there’s an awareness on Tyneside of the issues raised by Amnesty International. That said, the overwhelming majority of supporters have welcomed the proposed deal – and the end of the Mike Ashley era.

So the fans are concerned and it's on their minds....

But not that concerned!!!

:duntmatter:

Couple of things bugging me more and more about the coverage of this, really highlighting the media love-in we've always known exists with that club:

Firstly, on the sportswashing side of things; while it's being mentioned, they are somehow making Ashley out to be as bad - or even worse - than the Saudi regime. Now, I dont like Mike Ashley and he runs a horrific business model and treads all over the weakest people he can find to get where he is, but let's not pretend he's even in the same league as the Saudis. The brushing over of this is absolutely sickening to be honest. Staveley herself is also no angel; she is comparable to Ashley in terms of everything you could possibly hold against him.

Secondly, is this idea of Newcastle coming "back to the elite". If this is in any way base in fact then we are one of the top 6 clubs in the country (spoiler: we're not). They've won nothing in decades and their most recent top flight title was even longer ago than ours. They are in no sense an elite club and the only basis of this is the fact that the Keegan side of the 90s will be held in misty eyed nostalgia by the generation who currently dominate journalism. They were entertaining, yes, but they still won nothing. Supporters groups are moaning that they've twice been relegated under Ashley, and yet in reality they are a yo-yo club just like us.

Edited by Owl.1867
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Owl.1867 said:

Couple of things bugging me more and more about the coverage of this, really highlighting the media love-in we've always known exists with that club:

Firstly, on the sportswashing side of things; while it's being mentioned, they are somehow making Ashley out to be as bad - or even worse - than the Saudi regime. Now, I dont like Mike Ashley and he runs a horrific business model and treads all over the weakest people he can find to get where he is, but let's not pretend he's even in the same league as the Saudis. The brushing over of this is absolutely sickening to be honest. Staveley herself is also no angel; she is comparable to Ashley in terms of everything you could possibly hold against him.

Secondly, is this idea of Newcastle coming "back to the elite". If this is in any way base in fact then we are one of the top 6 clubs in the country (spoiler: we're not). They've won nothing in decades and their most recent top flight title was even longer ago than ours. They are in no sense an elite club and the only basis of this is the fact that the Keegan side of the 90s will be held in misty eyed nostalgia by the generation who currently dominate journalism. They were entertaining, yes, but they still won nothing. Supporters groups are moaning that they've twice been relegated under Ashley, and yet in reality they are a yo-yo club just like us.

The string broke on our yo-yo 20 years ago.  

2 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Bit jealous to be honest. They will be one of the richest clubs in the world. Wish it could happen to us. 

FFP is still in place, you can only spend so much. As Man City have found out. 

But obviously nice to have it

3 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Bit jealous to be honest. They will be one of the richest clubs in the world. Wish it could happen to us. 

You wish we could be the play thing of one of the most evil regimes on the planet ?

Doesn't matter how blood soaked the money is as long there's lots of it 

There are few things would make me end my support of Wednesday, the club being taken over by the House of Saud is one of them 

• Haha 1

On 19/04/2020 at 18:00, Wrightyowl said:

Public beheadings, hands being cut off, stonings for adultery etc, etc, etc to one side.....

On to more serious issues....

Amanda is easier on the eye than Mike.

5a132ab3f914c31d008b517e.jpeg

hqdefault.jpg

Bet Journos go easy on them now.. we all know how amenable the Saudis are to a bit of criticism...

Newcastle fans are absoloutely creaming at this. 

For years theyve been amongst the mardiest fans in the land thinking they deserve the world even though they've won **** all for decades. 

They'll happily sell their soul to these 'good, generous, kind, moral' new owners. Football will cover up more of the worlds ugly side and we will all clap and enjoy what a product the premier league has become. 

20 hours ago, Rogers said:

FFP is still in place, you can only spend so much. As Man City have found out. 

But obviously nice to have it

You can still spend and make a loss within a limit, I think this has been a sore point for their fans as they've seen other clubs spend money excessively when they've been almost working to a sell to buy ethos. Prior to Joelinton and Almiron their record signing was Michael Owen for £16m in 2005.

Don't necessarily agree with the stance on money but Ashley has been pretty terrible with their managers and renaming St James Park.

53 minutes ago, Putney said:

You can still spend and make a loss within a limit, I think this has been a sore point for their fans as they've seen other clubs spend money excessively when they've been almost working to a sell to buy ethos. Prior to Joelinton and Almiron their record signing was Michael Owen for £16m in 2005.

Don't necessarily agree with the stance on money but Ashley has been pretty terrible with their managers and renaming St James Park.

Can you believe Shearer went there for only £15m