How much do we miss this guy?

23 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Not at all. Was a limited Championship player.

Yes always gave 100% but always found the hero worship of him cringeworthy.

Your blinded  if you can’t see what semedo brought to this team 

he’s a classic that attitude can be worth so much more than talent 

effort, attitude, popularity in a round the club and you question him being a limited footballer 

Losing players like him and loovens has been a disaster because how they was off the pitch was fundamental to what got off everyone on the pitch 

you need 2-5 of these players in ever squad they knit the squad together and have everybody with focus and good attitudes 

personalities are huge in any working environment and footballs no difference 

but your right he was a limited player

give me 5 semedos over your van Akens, rhodes, bates, anyway.

semedos and lovens should have become our squad fillers/ fringe players over any of what we currently have 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I'll take a limited Championship player who gives it his all and brings the best out of his teammates over a more talented player who doesn't always put a shift in.

Carvalhal's recent comments sum it up for me: "...Semedo and Loovens gave good balance in the dressing room. I wish both stay with me all the time, even tif hey didn’t play too much. You need these personalities in the dressing room all the time."

Semedo may not have been our most talented player, but his commitment was unquestionable, he stuck to what he did well, and he seemingly inspired the rest of our squad through his dedication and professionalism.

When he eventually retires, he'll know that he squeezed the best career possible out of the abilities he had; not enough players can say the same.

• Thanks 1

It’s strange though. We have a couple of players now, Fox and Joey, who are in a similar mould but don’t get the same accolades. Neither of them seem to be trouble off the pitch, they don’t go missing for weeks with mysterious injuries, they don’t refuse to play for the club, they don’t go hiding on the pitch like some, they always put a shift in, and despite being targets of the boo boys they just turn up and do their job to the best of their ability. Not saying they are better than Jose but I wish some of our better players had the same attitude.

• Haha 3

I don’t think players and fans doubt there attitude semedo was a cut above he had a like ability X factor about him such a nice bloke you don’t get that very often especially with egos and lifestyles footballers have he connected to the fans through 100% commitment on the pitch and a grounded I feel honoured personality and love being here mentality. 

he was like the friendly neighbour next door 

To see what players of modest ability for their level can achieve when working tirelessly as a team then you need look no further than S2.

Semedo was also a leader on the pitch who galvanised the team around him and the support too.

He would not have let teams walk all over us as we have since Christmas.

To suggest Joey is a similar level is laughable. I reckon he would struggle to tackle a big breakfast.

Semedo was 20x more effective.

Fox has been decent this season and it has been recognised by the fans.

The fans aren't daft...

Edited by 33
Magic
  • Thanks 1

Teams are always successful when you’ve got people with the right mentality around the changing room. Carlton Palmer once said that’s why the 91-94 squad was so successful, as it managed itself due to the high number of strong personalities in the squad, it drove up standards

1 hour ago, doubleo said:

It’s strange though. We have a couple of players now, Fox and Joey, who are in a similar mould but don’t get the same accolades. Neither of them seem to be trouble off the pitch, they don’t go missing for weeks with mysterious injuries, they don’t refuse to play for the club, they don’t go hiding on the pitch like some, they always put a shift in, and despite being targets of the boo boys they just turn up and do their job to the best of their ability. Not saying they are better than Jose but I wish some of our better players had the same attitude.

They both go hiding on the pitch..the myth that Fox always gives 100% is laughable. Watch him closely especially when the chips are down he is an utter coward of a player. Same with Joey, both can't get rid of the ball fast enough 

It's all about positivity. Everything that oozes from this guy was positive, you just couldn't help but smile when you heard him talk.

I can't think of many of the current team that has that same ability apart from FF. when you look at the others, BB , Lee's etc, it's toxic there all quick to jump on players backs, that brings in negativity and fear to express themselves. 

You had similar players like, Wallace, hooper always playing with a smile.

3 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

WOW 

That's quite a stinging attack on a player who brought so much on and off the pitch.

Every manager that has worked with him has given him a glowing report on the way he helped keep the dressing room upbeat and in check

Owlstalk Shop

Guest freerole
2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I'll take a limited Championship player who gives it his all and brings the best out of his teammates over a more talented player who doesn't always put a shift in.

Carvalhal's recent comments sum it up for me: "...Semedo and Loovens gave good balance in the dressing room. I wish both stay with me all the time, even tif hey didn’t play too much. You need these personalities in the dressing room all the time."

Semedo may not have been our most talented player, but his commitment was unquestionable, he stuck to what he did well, and he seemingly inspired the rest of our squad through his dedication and professionalism.

When he eventually retires, he'll know that he squeezed the best career possible out of the abilities he had; not enough players can say the same.

Semedo over waddle then?

Waddle hardly pulled up any trees.

Guest wilyfox

It seems our squad has some proper thunder€unts in the group. I think Loovens & Semedo were important figures in keeping the peace and galvanising the group. We now know why previous managers loved them so much. 

12 minutes ago, freerole said:

Semedo over waddle then?

Waddle hardly pulled up any trees.

you can’t compare him to a player like Waddle, you need to compare like for like.

Semedos job was to break up play, win the ball and give it to the more talented players around him. Just like Carlton Palmer used to do back in the day. 

You need to compare Semedos importance in the team against someone like Graham Hyde. 

25 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

WOW 

That's quite a stinging attack on a player who brought so much on and off the pitch.

Every manager that has worked with him has given him a glowing report on the way he helped keep the dressing room upbeat and in check

Not sure how you can interpret my post as stinging attack on Semedo when I said her always gave 100%

My comments were more about way some football supporters, many of whom are grown adults hero worship average players. Always found this bizarre.

Just now, matthefish2002 said:

Not sure how you can interpret my post as stinging attack on Semedo when I said her always gave 100%

My comments were more about way some football supporters, many of whom are grown adults hero worship average players. Always found this bizarre.

I think it's because the players they appreciate tend to the ones who are honest and transparent with the fans, who get involved in the 'club' side of things, the off the pitch activities, who promote the club, act as ambassadors, interact with the fans etc

Easy to see why some players become fan favourites even if they're not the greatest on the pitch.

Owlstalk Shop