COVID-19 player wage reductions

Guest LondonOwl313
4 minutes ago, scram said:

How many footballers do you think make it through to the elite level out of those that try?

You're not talking 1 in 3 - it's more like 1 in a hundred

I'm not sticking up for footballers wages at the top - we all know they are disgusting

But please spare us the "woe is me" nonsense with high finance 

Which has crippled the world many times over

Footballers never have

We’re going off topic here, I get it you hate bankers because someone told you to hate them for some reason.

The original point was why should footballers take a pay cut when nobody else on sizeable incomes has. I’ve tried to explain why most people in finance aren’t on that kind of money and of the ones that are they’ve already taken the hit in smaller bonuses and share options, despite them still all working full time. 

The fact that it’s equally (if not more) as hard to become a footballer isn’t that relevant. And nobody is saying league 1 and 2 players should take massive pay cuts if they don’t earn much to begin with. But the top 2 leagues getting paid 10k+ a week to do nothing and then not expect their wages to take a hit somewhere is out of sync with other industries. That’s the point

I don't hate bankers

i hate the ridiculous disaster capitalist system we are slave too

You still haven't come anywhere close to addressing why footballers should take pay cuts and not bankers  (at the top end - not the cashier in the local branch_

Im the biggest critic of player wages as you will ever find - i'm not defending the indefensible

I'm hateful of the system driven by finance that has the world on its knees after a few weeks.

Footballers have not done that to the planet and its people - finance and the model it adhere's to has

Guest LondonOwl313
59 minutes ago, scram said:

I don't hate bankers

i hate the ridiculous disaster capitalist system we are slave too

You still haven't come anywhere close to addressing why footballers should take pay cuts and not bankers  (at the top end - not the cashier in the local branch_

Im the biggest critic of player wages as you will ever find - i'm not defending the indefensible

I'm hateful of the system driven by finance that has the world on its knees after a few weeks.

Footballers have not done that to the planet and its people - finance and the model it adhere's to has

I’ve just explained why bankers have already taken a pay cut because their basic salary generally is only a fraction of their pay. At the top end it’s probably 80% bonus and share options and only 20% basic. If revenue is badly down then bonuses will be badly down as a result, plus share options might not be granted. So total pay will be down for a lot of them.  And isn’t it obvious that footballers aren’t working (through no fault of their own, but that’s not the point) whereas bankers will still be doing full hours albeit from home? At the end of the day, in any industry your remuneration is linked to the revenues of the industry. The banks will be taking a hit on the revenue side and remuneration will be down by a corresponding amount. In football revenue has basically dropped 100% overnight assuming it doesn’t restart and sky pull out so it’s hard to see why footballers pay shouldn’t be impacted by it. If football revenue was running at normal levels I’d say they shouldn’t take a cut but it isn’t 

FWIW I hate the system too, I can see how corrupt it is. But most people in finance are pawns in this game the same as any other job. The real decision makers are the central bankers and other unelected public officials and they’re the ones who’ve completely shafted the whole system. It should have been allowed to burn in 2008 but it was propped up by cheap money and the problems exasperated 

8 hours ago, scram said:

You do know they are being monitored. Don't you?

So the conditioning coaches can assess exactly what the players are doing

Don't know what your problem is other than trying to push a point that doesn't exist

The players are still fulfilling their obligations to their employer - just like people in other industries

Loads of people are working from home - i suppose you think they are swinging it as well

They've been swinging it for years.

Have I missed the press release where the players stick two fingers up at everyone and laugh about how they're still on full pay or are we assuming so on the basis of no press release to the contrary? For me the terms of any one players contract and pay is between them and the club, much the same as the terms of my contract and pay are between me and my employer.

Many contracts have a force majeure clause, so whats to say that footballers contracts don't?