COVID-19 player wage reductions

Guest LondonOwl313
7 minutes ago, We are all Wednesday said:

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-chris-kamara-says-its-outrageous-that-footballers-are-asked-to-take-wage-cuts-11981797

"Kammy" seems as out of touch as most footballers - oh well, it is our choice whether we continue to pay ridiculous ticket prices - and when the clubs rally supporters we can just say "we are doing our little bit" for our finances. Hate this side of football, so rotten and selfish.

Still, what does he care as he is getting paid for a betting ad!!

He’s chatting nonsense here about the other sports. In case he hasn’t noticed pretty much all sports are cancelled at the moment.

The snooker would be on at the moment with a top prize of £500k yet because it’s cancelled the players will be getting nothing for it. Same with the tennis at Wimbledon, same with the F1, same with the boxing PPVs that were going to take place. So other sports on the whole the participants are taking massive pay cuts effectively because they’re unable to compete. The only difference is that football is salaried yet it’s on the agreement that they’re available to play the games. Because the games can’t take place it’s only right that they don’t receive the remuneration for them. I don’t care what the contracts say because let’s be honest nobody expected this when they were signed. It’s not in the right spirit for them to take full pay when the revenue of  their employers is crushed and they’re unable to do their jobs. It’s embarrassing and they should refuse wages as a collective until the football is back on 

I think where footballers feel a little hard done by is that it seems they are the only ones being outed for earning big money that should take a pay cut

Their argument is where is the similar outcry for people in films, music and not to mention high finance, pharma, oil and business 

In that - they have a point

But they are easy targets because they are popular heroes - but that should not put the common blinkers on regarding the rest of those who earn fantastically well and are escaping remarkably unscathed

20 hours ago, scram said:

I think where footballers feel a little hard done by is that it seems they are the only ones being outed for earning big money that should take a pay cut

Their argument is where is the similar outcry for people in films, music and not to mention high finance, pharma, oil and business 

In that - they have a point

But they are easy targets because they are popular heroes - but that should not put the common blinkers on regarding the rest of those who earn fantastically well and are escaping remarkably unscathed

High finance, pharma, oil and many businesses are still working so why should they take a pay cut? Footballers bless em are a sensitive set of shysters. A few might get a nasty shock in the coming months when they realise their true worth.

On 18/04/2020 at 16:01, 0114 said:

Don’t understand why players can’t be furloughed along with the rest of people who can’t currently work. 

They can be furloughed. But the government only pays 80% up to a maximum of £2500 per month. Given that most of our players earn double that a week as a minimum, it's not going to help them pay their huge mortgages and car finance deals! 

On 02/05/2020 at 20:53, Ronnie Starling said:

High finance, pharma, oil and many businesses are still working so why should they take a pay cut? Footballers bless em are a sensitive set of shysters. A few might get a nasty shock in the coming months when they realise their true worth.

Footballers are still working unless they have been furloughed and not many clubs have dome that

But you have completely missed the point

Why is it only footballers that re being called out - they earn a fraction of those big hedge fund managers and financiers

Why isn't there a clamour for them to take big wage cuts?

28 minutes ago, scram said:

Footballers are still working unless they have been furloughed and not many clubs have dome that

Why is it only footballers that re being called out - they earn a fraction of those big hedge fund managers and financiers

If they are performing and earning their clients money then why would they take a cut? Do you think that those shysters on our payroll whose work currently amounts to having a run around Rother Valley are worthy of their silly salaries? Footballers deserve all the criticism they get. This lockdown has made me realise how insignificant football is. If I hadn't already paid for next season I don't think I would have bothered. I've probably got to that stage that others before me reached when the enjoyment has gone due to greed of average footballers.

On 01/05/2020 at 20:16, LondonOwl313 said:

He’s chatting nonsense here about the other sports. In case he hasn’t noticed pretty much all sports are cancelled at the moment.

The snooker would be on at the moment with a top prize of £500k yet because it’s cancelled the players will be getting nothing for it. Same with the tennis at Wimbledon, same with the F1,

arnt formula one drivers contracted to there teams ?.....just googled lewis Hamilton and he earned 57 million dollars in 2019 and there was no mention of him being on furlough at the moment . 

Guest LondonOwl313
29 minutes ago, scram said:

Because it’s largely a fantasy that everyone in finance earns sh*t loads.. I work in it myself and can say that at our place the top guys will be on about £200k, of which a fair chunk, getting on for half is bonus linked. So if company revenue is down, which it is, pay will be down. Plus everyone is working from home despite it being less productive. Most aren’t earning 6 figures. Most firms in the city in this industry are asset managers which are similar to mine. Ok it’s still good money but it’s not on footballers level. Private banks or hedge funds can earn more but again it’s performance linked. The hedge fund industry has been decimated for a number of reasons over the last 5-10 years.. its shrunk a lot. The number of people earning 7 figures at finance isn’t very large at all. It’s generally blood money if they do and certainly harder work than being a footballer.

so I guess what I’m saying is they’ve all already taken a pay cut in bonus and stock options, plus they’re all still working. People just like to beat up the bankers because of what happened in the 2000s but it’s not the same industry as it was back then

2 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

If they are performing and earning their clients money then why would they take a cut? Do you think that those shysters on our payroll whose work currently amounts to having a run around Rother Valley are worthy of their silly salaries? Footballers deserve all the criticism they get. This lockdown has made me realise how insignificant football is. If I hadn't already paid for next season I don't think I would have bothered. I've probably got to that stage that others before me reached when the enjoyment has gone due to greed of average footballers.

I'm not gonna argue with you about obscene salaries that many players get - nor the disaster capitalism model football adheres to

But if they are being supplied a monitored training plan from their club which they must adhere to (as is the case for most players) - then they are fulfilling the obligation of their employer just the same as any financier etc

1 minute ago, scram said:

I'm not gonna argue with you about obscene salaries that many players get - nor the disaster capitalism model football adheres to

But if they are being supplied a monitored training plan from their club which they must adhere to (as is the case for most players) - then they are fulfilling the obligation of their employer just the same as any financier etc

We'll see when they get back to playing. They should all be super fit and injury free. No excuses for blowing out if their arsed after 60 minutes. Let's see how professional they have been.

2 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

We'll see when they get back to playing. They should all be super fit and injury free. No excuses for blowing out if their arsed after 60 minutes. Let's see how professional they have been.

You do know they are being monitored. Don't you?

So the conditioning coaches can assess exactly what the players are doing

Don't know what your problem is other than trying to push a point that doesn't exist

The players are still fulfilling their obligations to their employer - just like people in other industries

Loads of people are working from home - i suppose you think they are swinging it as well

11 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Because it’s largely a fantasy that everyone in finance earns sh*t loads.. I work in it myself and can say that at our place the top guys will be on about £200k, of which a fair chunk, getting on for half is bonus linked. So if company revenue is down, which it is, pay will be down. Plus everyone is working from home despite it being less productive. Most aren’t earning 6 figures. Most firms in the city in this industry are asset managers which are similar to mine. Ok it’s still good money but it’s not on footballers level. Private banks or hedge funds can earn more but again it’s performance linked. The hedge fund industry has been decimated for a number of reasons over the last 5-10 years.. its shrunk a lot. The number of people earning 7 figures at finance isn’t very large at all. It’s generally blood money if they do and certainly harder work than being a footballer.

so I guess what I’m saying is they’ve all already taken a pay cut in bonus and stock options, plus they’re all still working. People just like to beat up the bankers because of what happened in the 2000s but it’s not the same industry as it was back then

I wasn't talking about everybody in finance 

And as for your last paragraph...

Nobody is beating up on the bankers/financiers - or pretty much anybody else other than footballers

Just now, LondonOwl313 said:

The number of people earning 7 figures at finance isn’t very large at all. It’s generally blood money if they do and certainly harder work than being a footballer.

do they work harder ?its pretty easy to get into a banking career not so  becoming a professional footballer and many of them will be on a lot less than 100k a year with  the average career of a pro footballer at  8 years  its not hard to see why taylor bats so strongly for them ……..

Just now, TINKERBELL said:

I'd rather life saving doctors and NHS staff be on big money than footballers. 

We can live without football, but we can't live with them

don't think anyone would argue against that …..

Guest LondonOwl313
14 minutes ago, torryowl said:

do they work harder ?its pretty easy to get into a banking career not so  becoming a professional footballer and many of them will be on a lot less than 100k a year with  the average career of a pro footballer at  8 years  its not hard to see why taylor bats so strongly for them ……..

It depends.. probably quite easy getting into a retail bank but they barely earn more than the average wage. When people talk about bankers in the context of them being rich they’re usually talking about investment bankers which is extremely competitive to get in to and even harder to stay with for a long time because the hours can be horrendous. Even then the money isn’t comparable to professional sport for most. Think of it like a pyramid.. for every 100 graduates applying for those jobs less than 3 will get one, very difficult if you’re not from one of the select few unis at the top. Then of those around half won’t make it through the first couple of years. Then others will drop out by their mid 20s as they hate the 90 hour weeks. If they make it to the 10 year mark they’re probably on very good money but it’s been hard work getting there. I wouldn’t recommend it to anybody as it looks horrendous 

Pro footballers in the top 2 leagues earn much more than 6 figures but the bottom half in leagues 1 and 2 probably average less

Just now, TINKERBELL said:

Hopefully when this is over changes will be made and they realise they not as important as some of them think they are.

I really hope so ..my partners a nurse and if she can get half of what kane is on the dream of a caravan at cleggy may come to fruition 

24 minutes ago, TINKERBELL said:

Hopefully when this is over changes will be made and they realise they not as important as some of them think they are.

With you all the way

Nothing will change though

1 hour ago, vulva said:

Might have been mentioned but for clubs that have furloughed staff, players etc, they should have a 12 month transfer ban. 

That's us doomed then. We would have to retain all the rubbish we already have.

WTF:

26 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

It depends.. probably quite easy getting into a retail bank but they barely earn more than the average wage. When people talk about bankers in the context of them being rich they’re usually talking about investment bankers which is extremely competitive to get in to and even harder to stay with for a long time because the hours can be horrendous. Even then the money isn’t comparable to professional sport for most. Think of it like a pyramid.. for every 100 graduates applying for those jobs less than 3 will get one, very difficult if you’re not from one of the select few unis at the top. Then of those around half won’t make it through the first couple of years. Then others will drop out by their mid 20s as they hate the 90 hour weeks. If they make it to the 10 year mark they’re probably on very good money but it’s been hard work getting there. I wouldn’t recommend it to anybody as it looks horrendous 

Pro footballers in the top 2 leagues earn much more than 6 figures but the bottom half in leagues 1 and 2 probably average less

How many footballers do you think make it through to the elite level out of those that try?

You're not talking 1 in 3 - it's more like 1 in a hundred

I'm not sticking up for footballers wages at the top - we all know they are disgusting

But please spare us the "woe is me" nonsense with high finance 

Which has crippled the world many times over

Footballers never have