COVID-19 player wage reductions

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI

It appears to me the greedy bar stewards are dragging it out as long as possible, until the season restarts, then “oh look we’re back. No need for a pay cut now”.

Seems like football is in a bubble again whilst the average person on the street has to take the hit.

Maybe fans should react as slowly when they are asked to back clubs around the country and in particular our club.

The players could do far more to help the club than we as fans ever could.

About time that greed of agents and players ended and this highlights the issue perfectly.

posting a few positive videos and delivering some shopping is simply no where near enough. The players need to step up and lead by example and show their leadership and earn their “role model” status.

4 minutes ago, 0114 said:

Don’t understand why players can’t be furloughed along with the rest of people who can’t currently work. 

Neither do I.  Their contracts are no different legally from other peoples. Deferring wages is no good, how can clubs afford it in four months time?  I've been in love with football my whole life but I hope the whole thing comes crashing down and we can start again in a more civilised spirit.

8 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

It's certainly not a pittance but do you honestly believe that players on upwards towards £40 grand are going to accept furlough your having yourself on

Especially if they are out of contract in two months time

20 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

It's certainly not a pittance but do you honestly believe that players on upwards towards £40 grand are going to accept furlough your having yourself on

You don’t “accept” furlough. It’s not the choice of the employee, it’s the choice of the employer. So no, I am not having myself on. 

31 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

If footballers are expected to then every employee of every company should from bankers to footballers to TV personalities to Rock Stars 

How can you put a 'banker' who earns £18k a year on a till at your local NatWest or Lloyds...and is a banker....in the same bracket as a footballer or rock star??

This only applies to those at the very top, same as most chief executives

Guest The Claw
47 minutes ago, We are all Wednesday said:

Regardless, of the contract type, surely any individual can agree to a temporary change to their terms?

Not without Union concent

Edited by The Claw