I’d love us to sign a player that could get us out of our seats

1 hour ago, shandypants said:

Yep. Antonio to a certain extent. 

Of course Di Canio - how could I forget him?!!

Referring back to my opening post and in relation to the above post (and some others on this thread), I don’t think I explained myself clearly enough. When Waddle, Di Canio and JJ received the ball, everyone (and I mean that literally) in the home stands would stand knowing 9 times out of 10, something brilliant, magical or downright amazing was about to happen. Waddle’s well known comment about him hearing the Hillsborough seats clattering when he got the ball can only really be fully applied to him, Di Canio and JJ. When any of those three received the ball and you knew that something was going to happen, I used to get a proper rush of excitement; they would then take the roof of Hillsborough if they finished their brilliance with a goal or an assist. 

Hold on a minute so you can fully apply that logic to JJ. But not Carbone. How does that work.?? Carbone got people from there seats as much as anybody.

5 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Hold on a minute so you can fully apply that logic to JJ. But not Carbone. How does that work.?? Carbone got people from there seats as much as anybody.

Agreed on JJ. Most people on the Kop dived out of their seats when he was on the ball. 99% of his attempts ended up in the stands rather than the goal.

On 18/04/2020 at 01:48, shandypants said:

Who have we signed since Waddle that could get us out of our seats regularly by beating a man? I can only place JJ as that type of player and we all know that he didn’t have the end product but I’d take another JJ anytime if it meant we got a fair bit of excitement each game. 

Are there any players around that can dribble the ball and if so, could we afford to buy them? 

Problem is that we now have half a team full of players that get people out of their seats. A lot of those people get up and leave the ground altogether!

lol

Sorry! :blush: I know what you mean though. We have had plenty of players in the past that could really turn it on and looked unstoppable, or unbeatable and everybody that could stand up would be on their feet, a thrill of excitement tingling through the stands, as the pressure builds up, before that roof raising moment when the ball hits the back of the net! 

Hopefully our new scouts have a few players like that lined up for next season. Hopefully little known players on sensible wages that have nothing to do with Paixo.

I would put Ben10, McGugan and Antonio in that group of players, along with JJ and in a different league I know, but Mclean, J P McGovern and Tudguy all got me on my feet plenty of times too.

I quite like the way Ivan Toney plays, but it is mainly the way he scores and the different ways that he can do it, but I dare say there are plenty of players out there with talent, or potential talent that we know nothing about and our super scouts are recommending to the club. 

On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 11:58, meggoisgod said:

I still love to see FF get the ball. He is the only player since Antonio who I genuinely go to the ground and get excited to see play. Far too many times he hasnt played for various reasons but different managers not choosing him has been criminal imo...alas I think it's the end for him whilst complete average dullards like fox are offered new deals...I despair

Couldn't agree more

On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 13:45, LondonOwl313 said:

Owen Morrison? Lol

I’d add Royston Drenthe, Gerald Sibon and Chris Brunt

Defo agree on those three. Would have loved to have kept them all at there times. Drenthe was class and put a really good shift in. Do believe we could have pushed on under Gray if we had signed Wickham (who according to reports we could have got for 2 million) and Drenthe. Understand why we didn't Mandaric was working to a business plan but it was still an opportunity missed.

Owen Morrison was such a waist of talent. Yes he obviously had an attitude problem but imagine if we had a decent manager who could have guided him ?? Could have been a top player. Was more of a forward than a winger tho.

On 20/04/2020 at 14:47, Owly Mowly said:

I don’t remember Andy Sinton being very good, but just watched the 93/94 season review and he looked great!

But Waddle and Hirst were the 2 for me followed by Di Canio

It only showed the goals though,  not Sinton being garbage which was 99% of the time!