BREAKING NEWS - EFL Hearing to take place in July

Guest freerole

I think we will be fine. No one can say we cheated as cheating involves gaining some sort of an advantage by not playing by the rules. In our case, we sportingly spent all of our money on a load of old cack, gaining no advantage whatsoever. There is therefore no case to answer.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, MAL said:

@Five Archers

Forgive me if this name is a play on your name, or something like that.

But i just have to say...

The name of the pub was, Five Arches

The name of the viaduct is, Five Arches.

It was my local pub for years mate, even after moving away it was my favourite spot for pre match drinks

15 hours ago, catdog1121 said:

Well this could be interesting, I wonder if any points deduction would be for this season or next?

What if its for this and the season is scrapped.

What if its for this and we get relegated...  Could we argue had the season not been prolonged the points deduction would be for next season...

Given the timing of this I would suspect any points deduction would likely be applied to next season but then if the season goes ahead would Birmingham complain?  What a mess the EFL have got themselves into..  

Also given the pandemic will they in future be more lenient?  Could this again be rise to a challenge that we have been treated differently, the EFL are between a rock and a hard place here.. 

I think they will need to make allowances for the loss of income during the pandemic but once things are back to normal I think they will want to be much harder line.

I can imagine them trying to get to a situation where clubs have to break even over a 3 year period. Obviously wages paid to players under existing contracts will need to be taken into account but after a bedding in period they will expect wages to reduce dramatically. Let's face it wages are far too high for what are in many cases very average players. That should be advantageous for us as one of the better supported teams. Our commercial side is rubbish though.

2 hours ago, the monk said:

Why do you think the EFL "Are dying to make a example of us"?

What reason would they have?

Why can you only see a hefty points deduction , are you privy to all the facts ?

No I’m not “privy to all the facts”, I’m just giving my opinion like everyone else on here which I think is fair enough.

My opinion is based on various reports I’ve heard. Most reports said a points deduction was the most likely outcome of this whole sorry affair when the charge was made, 12 points would be the maximum but aggravating factors can increase that.... such as the club trying to deceive the EFL. If we are found guilty of the charge then I think moving the stadium sale into a different account period could be deemed as deceiving the EFL.

We all know that several clubs are actively pushing for a points deduction and then when you take into account Rick Parry's finance background and the fact he was bought in to sort out the league financially then it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work out that the outcome of this case is wry important to the perception of how effective the EFL are at enforcing their own rules.

I refer to the below report where football finance expert Kieran Magiure not only says he believes that a points deduction is the most likely outcome but also nails it was regards to Parry.

I quote....

Given his background is with the Premier League but he has also worked extensively with UEFA for their Financial Fair Play operations. 

He knows his stuff, he comes from a finance background. Sean Harvey (Ex-EFL Chief Executive) came from a different background. He preferred a light touch. Part of Ricky Parry's remit from the EFL is to get to grips with Financial Fair Play and this is very much a key case in terms of the credibility of the EFL. If they want to be able to show 'we've got a new sheriff in town and he means business' then they would only put forward their first case if they felt they had excellent evidence to support it. If the EFL lose this case their credibility would be shattered and they wouldn't go down that route unless they had a water-tight scenario.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/sheffield-wednesday-efl-charge-latest-17927410.amp

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Ash76
13 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

It really concerns me that it appears we’ve lost the arbitration, meaning the charges are lawful.

I always thought our best chance was via the arbitration as once it gets to the hearing, I think the EFL are dying to make an example of us. Adding to that the fact that the EFL probably see our counter charge as nothing more than a time delaying tactic and I can’t see anything other than a very hefty points deduction.

The hearing being in July should mean we are ok this season but next season could well be a write off before a ball is kicked.

The panel are independent mate

5 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

The panel are independent mate

I know pal but our reason for taking this to arbitration was to say we’d been given permission to do what we did and the charges were therefore unlawful.

Clearly they didn’t agree with us and this therefore suggests we didn’t have permission and the charges are therefore lawful.

If indeed we can’t prove that we had permission to record the stadium sale in the previous set of accounts then I don’t think we have a leg to stand on and by EFL rules will be looking at a points deduction regardless of the independence of the panel.

I hope I’m wrong but I firmly believed if this got beyond arbitration we were screwed.

• Haha 1

Guest Ash76
13 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

I know pal but our reason for taking this to arbitration was to say we’d been given permission to do what we did and the charges were therefore unlawful.

Clearly they didn’t agree with us and this therefore suggests we didn’t have permission and the charges are therefore lawful.

If indeed we can’t prove that we had permission to record the stadium sale in the previous set of accounts then I don’t think we have a leg to stand on and by EFL rules will be looking at a points deduction regardless of the independence of the panel.

I hope I’m wrong but I firmly believed if this got beyond arbitration we were screwed.

The fact the individual charges were dropped suggests to me that a deal was done at arbitration with little reference to any evidence. 

1 hour ago, Five Archers said:

It was my local pub for years mate, even after moving away it was my favourite spot for pre match drinks

Yeah pal

But what i was saying is...

The name is Five Arches, not Five Archers.

Do you know "Magic", as in the person called that, not actual magic :biggrin:

No doubt the EFL will want Chansiri to pump money into the club to stave off any chance of going bankrupt the whole situation is surreal. 

It's time to revamp the lot including parachute payments. 

10 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

The fact the individual charges were dropped suggests to me that a deal was done at arbitration with little reference to any evidence. 

Perhaps, hope you’re right and I’m wrong pal but as you well know, when it comes to football you very rarely prove me wrong. lol

57 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Am I missing something?  This is the arbitration hearing. 

Screenshot_20200418_124916.jpg

3 hours ago, striker said:

Suspect arbitration was more about the charges against individuals and we won that. 

I still  think that if the EFL had a strong case it would be concluded by now. If the hearing truly is independent, we have a good chance. 

If, and I'm not convinced it will, it goes against us sure DC will appeal and tie the EFL up for as long as it takes.

Right now the EFL have enough to balls up and the pressure firmly on them with what's happening and the impending financial clusterfuck for almost all football league teams, not to mention other active legal action with Birmingham, Derby, possibly Villa and in due course Reading. 

This is the impression I got as well. EFL had to change their stance against the 3 individuals as, if the case was lost, the charge against the club would lose any credibility whatsoever. The hearing, in my opinion, can only side with SWFC if there is any evidence to show we were given a green light by anyone at the EFL. That could be in writing, email, phone call, text or in conversation.

17 hours ago, wilyfox said:

8 months from charge to hearing. Bizarre. 

Possible because the EFL just expected us to take it on the chin like every other club. 

DC and the club hit back big time and counter attacked it with their own legal action. 

The EFL then advertised for an accountant after charging everyone to look at clubs accounts to determine the FFP etc... So who decided before that they were breaking these rules? 

The club have seen a loophole and took it, the league are struggling to come back with anything. 

Chansiri and directors charges dropped since. 

EFL will have to build their case now. 

Steve Gibson is frothing at the timing especially after they are relegated by us. 

1 hour ago, TrickyTrev said:

The permission isn’t the issue is it? The problem is the EFL say extra information turned up after the permission was granted. I find it hard to see how Chansiri has broken the rules given the auditors’ opinion but we don’t know what this additional info is.