On this day in 1983 FA Cup Heartache

I loved Big Jack but his preparations that day were a lot to be desired left 2 in the hotel played Pat Heard  left back after the Ian Bailey injury should've been Charlie Williamson at left back and Heard in midfield. 

We nearly missed the start due to coach spending far too long at Watford Gap for some unknown reason.  As we started getting close to the ground, I always remember a group of Owls fans walking down the Holloway Road with a big Park & Arbourthorne Owls Union Jack.  Abandoned coach shortly after that and ran rest of way to Highbury as traffic was so bad - to this day I’ve no idea how we managed to find coach again after game.

43 minutes ago, Steve Down South said:

We nearly missed the start due to coach spending far too long at Watford Gap for some unknown reason.  As we started getting close to the ground, I always remember a group of Owls fans walking down the Holloway Road with a big Park & Arbourthorne Owls Union Jack.  Abandoned coach shortly after that and ran rest of way to Highbury as traffic was so bad - to this day I’ve no idea how we managed to find coach again after game.

Same here , we jumped of the coach and legged it as traffic was mad.

6 hours ago, bradowl said:

BT Sport's showed this game a couple of weeks ago, we should have won, better side creating more chances than Brighton, there goalkeeper had a man of match performance. 

I was only a young in at the time, stood on the North bank. I’ve never known celebrations like it when we scored, it was bonkers. I’ve seen the highlights since and they do tend to show us as the better team, yet my memory from the day was we didn’t perform and didn’t deserve to win.

Edited by sexpistol

2 hours ago, sexpistol said:

I was only a young in at the time, stood on the North bank. I’ve never known celebrations like it when we scored, it was bonkers. I’ve seen the highlights since and they do tend to show us as the better team, yet my memory from the day was we didn’t perform and didn’t deserve to win.

On day I didn't think we was that great either, Brighton being bottom of first division and us going well in second I think we were expecting to win. 

4 hours ago, sexpistol said:

I’ve seen the highlights since and they do tend to show us as the better team, yet my memory from the day was we didn’t perform and didn’t deserve to win.

This is my recollection. I also recalled it being quite a poor game yet the commentator (Brian Moore) said what a good game it was. 

Hugely disappointing day yet despite us not playing well, we had no luck on the day. There was a blatant penalty on Bannister in the first half which would have been given in VAR world, their winner was identical to the chance Smith had in the final but instead of the ball sticking between the keepers legs as in the final it bounced out to Robinson and then their keeper (who was the worst keeper in division 1) made a stunning save late on to deny us an equaliser. I've always thought that if we had equalised, we'd have won the replay. Firstly, we couldn't play as badly again and, with the replay due at Forest's ground, it would have been like a home game for us.

remember this well. our coach stopped half way down into motorway services, for people needing the bog. looked out of window, and all other coaches were man u, who stopped for the same reason. luckily, no bother. as for the match itself, we didn't play well, neither did brighton, but their winner came when our goalie pushed a shot wide, but it spun back in, instead of going out for a corner, and was put away. also remember pat heard hitting a 30 yard screamer that was bound for the top corner, and their goalie, who was usually crap, tipped it round the post. not destined to be our year, but brighton should have beat man u in the final, but missed a sitter in the last minute, and got smashed 4 - 0 in the replay. I also remember that any team who were in the semi final, could not host the other semi. seemed to apply to us, but not to arsenal.