Steve Bruce

Big if... but if we did bring him back and the season got voided it’d probably be the best transfer ever. £4m for a season long loan for a season that doesn’t count. 

Personally I’d have him back every day of the week. He was the best manager we’ve had in years and exactly the kind of person we need to carry out the huge rebuilding job when the football starts back up again. Yeah we’d all have to swallow our pride a bit but you can guarantee we wouldn’t be getting beat 5-0 by Blackburn at home under Bruce

We were 16th when he arrived and at the end of the season finished 12th.

18 games, 7 wins

He then left as soon as a premier club came knocking.

I take it the op is asking a rhetorical question?

Edited by Bulldog

30 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

We were 16th when he arrived and at the end of the season finished 12th.

18 games, 7 wins

He then left as soon as a premier club came knocking.

I take it the op is asking a rhetorical question?

You can look at it many different ways under Bruce we invested in the future players like Iorfa, Harris, Borner signed for nothing and a good loan in Murphy (eventually) and we don't know about Bates as GM has never given him a chance.

Iorfa and Borner with their partnership at the beginning of the season was one of the reason before GM start messing with the formation and personnel why we were in 3rd at Xmas. Neither would have been at the club if SB had not been here. 

Since Bruce Left GM brought in Da Cruz, Wickham, Windass and some kid from the Italian 3rd division. None of the loan signings have been regulars other than a goal or two from Windass have added very little to the team.

I would say on the team side we played better under Bruce and we were going into this season thinking a few tweaks and we could push the play offs.

Under GM I cannot wait for the season to finish and hope we don't get dragged into a relegation dog fight and fear for the summer when he has to rebuild the team when players the likes of Da Cruz he has been tracking for his type of players.

3 hours ago, NorthernOwl said:

Not something we have to worry about with Monk as no chance anyone else would want him.

If you have a good manager then they are in demand, it's the risk you run. 

Totally agree, but I still wouldn’t have him back at considerable cost so he can do it again lol 

not a cat in hells chance 

he lied to the fans at Lincoln and couldn't wait to get out of the door fast enough

after all DC and fans did for him with regards to the extended leave and he just treated us with total contempt. I only wish he'd been sacked by Xmas at Newcaslte

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

You can look at it many different ways under Bruce we invested in the future players like Iorfa, Harris, Borner signed for nothing and a good loan in Murphy (eventually) and we don't know about Bates as GM has never given him a chance.

Iorfa and Borner with their partnership at the beginning of the season was one of the reason before GM start messing with the formation and personnel why we were in 3rd at Xmas. Neither would have been at the club if SB had not been here. 

Since Bruce Left GM brought in Da Cruz, Wickham, Windass and some kid from the Italian 3rd division. None of the loan signings have been regulars other than a goal or two from Windass have added very little to the team.

I would say on the team side we played better under Bruce and we were going into this season thinking a few tweaks and we could push the play offs.

Under GM I cannot wait for the season to finish and hope we don't get dragged into a relegation dog fight and fear for the summer when he has to rebuild the team when players the likes of Da Cruz he has been tracking for his type of players.

I stand by my post.

5 hours ago, lanzaroteowl said:

It would take a lot of eating humble pie on his behalf and swallowing a lot of hurt pride on ours.

But we would have been top six if he hadn't left.

Not according to the Bruce.

He said it would take 3-4 transfer windows to clear the decks and bring in the right sort of players to push on.

3 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

He said it would take 3-4 transfer windows to clear the decks and bring in the right sort of players to push on.

Well I presume he had the first January as we signed someone, cant recall who.

He had the pre season one and he would have had this January. 

Guest LondonOwl313

I'm a big fan of him as a manager and believe that if he'd stayed we'd have made the play offs this season. But I 100% wouldn't have him back here after what happened. It would be too embarrassing all round and would never work.

Guest LondonOwl313
26 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

He was just saying that to lower expectations because he's experienced with the media and managing. He wouldn't have come here initially if he didn't think he'd be able to have a run at being promoted... he wouldn't have wanted to wait 4 transfer windows to be ready for that. I think he'd have been quietly confident he could have got the play offs given we had top 6 form under him last season.

Well, if your question is really could we take a manager back , considering the circumstances in which he left, yes I would take him back.

1)  Steve Bruce has never shown loyalty in his managerial career. Not sure why any of supporters thought we would be different. 

2) He's a decent manager, would probably be the best we could hope for if we went for someone established. He recruited good players in the short time he was here.

3) When he left it was for probably his last shot at a Premier league job , which also happened to be his home town club. It was a perfectly understandable resignation.