Steve Bruce

I completely understand people saying no to Bruce...he left us and let's be honest we are not used to our managers getting headhunted.

It happens all the time though in football. It's not like he left us for another Champ club.

But isn't the fact our manager was actually wanted by prem clubs a good thing? It means we actually have a good manager, an asset. 

Not a journeyman manager who we picked up of the dole.

We need to look at this like a business.

Bruce is respected, successful and has a good track record.

He has good contacts and is quite good in  the transfer market.

If he gets poached by a prem club it means we are probably doing well and we get a nice payday.

Think of it like signing players which we know we can sell for a profit. 

Sure the upheaval of losing a manager isn't great but we were sat in 3rd at Xmas. 

He's a good manager and better than any manager we could get.. for free.

Edited by trev
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Strings said:

It's a no from me, he can't be trusted

and as much as he is a decent manager we fans and the club deserve a better caliber of person.

I don't think DC would have him back as his culture is big on honour and Bruce showed him he none.

Yeah, that's a good point. 

Ashley and Bruce didn't handle the whole thing amazingly well. Probably pissed DC off.

I would imagine DC holds a grudge.

16 minutes ago, trev said:

I completely understand people saying no to Bruce...he left us and let's be honest we are not used to our managers getting headhunted.

It happens all the time though in football. It's not like he left us for another Champ club.

But isn't the fact our manager was actually wanted by prem clubs a good thing? It means we actually have a good manager, an asset. 

Not a journeyman manager who we picked up of the dole.

We need to look at this like a business.

Bruce is respected, successful and has a good track record.

He has good contacts and is quite good in  the transfer market.

If he gets poached by a prem club it means we are probably doing well and we get a nice payday.

Think of it like signing players which we know we can sell for a profit. 

Sure the upheaval of losing a manager isn't great but we were sat in 3rd at Xmas. 

He's a good manager and better than any manager we could get.. for free.

Everything you say is right but we need a manager who can build something over 2 or 3 years. Bruce wouldn't stay around that long. The first sign of success and a bigger club would be in for him and hed be off, dropping us back in it. 

44 minutes ago, Strings said:

It's a no from me, he can't be trusted

and as much as he is a decent manager we fans and the club deserve a better caliber of person.

I don't think DC would have him back as his culture is big on honour and Bruce showed him he had none.

Corrected my poor grammar.

I think he burnt his bridges with DC, so largely irrelevant.

Better than Monk for sure, but it's a no from me. I dont think he carries enough goodwill with the fanbase and judging by his comments before joining us about considering retirement, suspect this latest payoff will see him retire.

He's had a good career and managed his 'boyhood club' in the EPL. Not sure what attraction a bottom half championship club would hold compared to watching more cricket etc.

41 minutes ago, lanzaroteowl said:

We have a precedence when we took BFR back.

Did us a good job on his return and we should have renewed his contract.

Only petty revenge meant we lost him. We went on a downward spiral from then on.

This 100%...learn from previous mistakes, unfortunately only the fans remember this, DC will be totally unaware

1 hour ago, wiggy said:

Might be a good manager. But why would anyone take him back so he can shaft us again when his head next got turned?

Not something we have to worry about with Monk as no chance anyone else would want him.

If you have a good manager then they are in demand, it's the risk you run. 

1 hour ago, lanzaroteowl said:

We have a precedence when we took BFR back.

Did us a good job on his return and we should have renewed his contract.

Only petty revenge meant we lost him. We went on a downward spiral from then on.

I agree with you about Big Ron. However Ron had Wednesday playing the best football Iv'e ever seen us play. Bruce had everything to prove with us still and left in a really short period of time. I'll sit on the fence with this as I have my doubts it would work with Bruce second time round and he and his team of coaches don't come cheap.

Pointless question to be honest as there will be very little managerial movement, if any, at the moment. 

As much as we slated him when he left us, I think he’s done a decent job considering he was following benitezs footsteps, not to mention having to work under mike ashley

2 hours ago, darra said:

Listening to the radio this morning if the take over of Newcastle goes through which is likely this time there's a good chance that Bruce some said a very good chance will be out of a job. Question is would you take him back?

I'm not sure.

Definitely in 6 months he did more for the club and the structure of the club than the other managers have managed in 5 years.

He plays his best team, in a formation that works with the players he has, he recently had a fall out with Saint Maximin did he banish him to the stands or force him to train with the development squad. No he still picked his best team and he has since won games giving Newcastle points to stay in the league.

If GM was able to swallow his pride with Westwood and Hutch the team might not be as near to the relegation zone as we find ourselves.

GM or SB its a no brainer for me and not to mention other than Joao he is our second highest transfer fee in the DC era. lol