Music Sheffield Wednesday have run out to

Good morning everyone,

I hope this okay to post here, moderators please move or delete if you need to.

I’m part of a team at the University of Sheffield, led by Dr Chris Stride. We've published a number of academic papers and magazine articles relating to football history, on subjects such as statues and replica shirts (see, for example sportingstatues.com, and
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17460263.2019.1578255).

Our current project is investigating the music that football teams have run or walked out of the tunnel to over the years.

We are looking for the music that Sheffield Wednesday have run out to, for as many seasons in the past as you can recall. We are simply interested in the title of the song, the artist who recorded it, and for which seasons Sheffield Wednesday ran out to this. Any help you can give us to piece together the different songs that your club has run out to would be hugely appreciated.

If you have any personal anecdotes around the reasons for the songs being used, or the changes between them, that would also be fantastic.

I should also add that we are not interested in goal music, or a song that is played at the final whistle, but just the song that is on the tannoy system as the players enter the field.

If you think someone else may be able to help, or you have any questions, please let us know!  We would be very happy to discuss the project.

Cheers

Joe Headland

For me as above I grew up in the early 90's I was very lucky to see my team one of the top 5 or 6 teams, for that 4 or 5 year period and Waterfront by Simple Minds still sends a tingle down my spine every time I hear it. 

I am back watching the players I grew up with the same 5 or 6 people sat around me who sat in the same seats for 10-15 year after.

it is the beauty of music and its ability to give you memories from the sound.

Thank you for commenting and sharing your memories. It's much appreciated and is invaluable to the project.

We're still on the lookout for songs, so if anyone remembers anymore, or can confirm other suggestions, please get in touch.

If you remember roughly what season the track was used in even better!

Cheers

I don't recall walk out music being a thing at Hillsborough back in the 70's was it just the cheer of the anticipating crowd or is at another part of my memory that has faded ?

I can tell you something I do remember, and wonder if any other Wednesday fans do, the song played over the tannoy after the BDM 26/12/79 ...... anyone ?

Confusion ......... ELO !

Was it 'Get Ready for This' or 'Lets Get Ready to Rumble' by PJ and Duncan? Maybe I have a false memory. Traumatic times. Guess it would have been in the 00's, but I've tried to block anything associated with Ashley Westwood out of my memory.

Also once did Big Ron get a tenor to come and sing before kick-off ahead of a game with Man U. Was it Nessun Dorma he sang?