Jump to content

Fletcher and Fox still to sign new contracts


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Sure, me neither, but for anyone, it would be practically impossible to properly identify so many players, never mind integrate them into the squad. At a lower level it may be feasible, but at this level, it spells trouble

They have known who is out of contract and hopefully who is worth keeping for 12 months or more, so you would hope that they have identified a good number of players. We could have been talking to foreign out of contract players since January

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, nbupperthongowl said:

They have known who is out of contract and hopefully who is worth keeping for 12 months or more, so you would hope that they have identified a good number of players. We could have been talking to foreign out of contract players since January


Totally agree, any club worth it’s salt will know exactly what needs to be addressed. 

 

The majority of our players out of contract wouldn’t take much replacing to be fair. 
 

The ending of these contacts should be a huge positive with the promise of using their wages to get players in who are up to the standard 

 

Out of the dozen or so out of contract their are only 2 or 3 that are even worth a discussion on renewing 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, torres said:


Totally agree, any club worth it’s salt will know exactly what needs to be addressed. 

 

The majority of our players out of contract wouldn’t take much replacing to be fair. 
 

The ending of these contacts should be a huge positive with the promise of using their wages to get players in who are up to the standard 

 

Out of the dozen or so out of contract their are only 2 or 3 that are even worth a discussion on renewing 

Any club worth its salt....... that is the concern, unless Bruce kicked this off last summer?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, nbupperthongowl said:

Any club worth its salt....... that is the concern, unless Bruce kicked this off last summer?


Surely even the shambles of a club we are have at least some idea 

 

If not we might as well just fold up 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The concern for me would be the number we would need to recruit. For example, if we let all those go, and finally manage to offload Rhodes, we will need to bring in 5 strikers for a start. We’ve struggled in that department for years, unable to identify even one, despite having millions at our disposal

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

The concern for me would be the number we would need to recruit. For example, if we let all those go, and finally manage to offload Rhodes, we will need to bring in 5 strikers for a start. We’ve struggled in that department for years, unable to identify even one, despite having millions at our disposal


Why would we need 5 strikers???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, nbupperthongowl said:

I wonder if £10k p.w. will become the new £40k and the top amount they can expect to see on a new contract?

 

With bonuses added

My guess is that by the time Championship football resumes in this country there will be either squad or individual wage caps in place designed to make the whole model much more sustainable. 6 - 10 K a week top whack for 2nd tier footballers is more than reasonable. If they want more than that they are more than welcome to go and play in China or in the Middle East.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wouldn't surprise me if we finally see a reversal in power after this mess.

 

The club's will be the ones who hold all the cards and the players have take it or leave it offers.

 

Lots and lots of players may find themselves without clubs if they don't drop their wage demands.

 

If the 2 offers on the table were made before this enforced break, they were probably very decent and if I'm honest we should remove them and re-evaluate our options.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, gurujuan said:

Isn’t that the norm for a Championship side?


I wouldn’t have thought so. It wasn’t the norm when teams played 2 up front never mind when a single forward is the current fashion 

 

You may have fallen for our clubs ridiculously poor recruitment template 

 


 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, trev said:

Wouldn't surprise me if we finally see a reversal in power after this mess.

 

The club's will be the ones who hold all the cards and the players have take it or leave it offers.

 

Lots and lots of players may find themselves without clubs if they don't drop their wage demands.

 

If the 2 offers on the table were made before this enforced break, they were probably very decent and if I'm honest we should remove them and re-evaluate our options.


why should it not have been like that before? 
 

Clubs were ran by cretins before this I presume they’ll be ran by cretins after it 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, torres said:

 


If you need to ask the question which one then you are in trouble 

 

If we re sign Fox it would be a bad move 

 

 

Thanks for your concern but I’m fine thank you. I’d say the person more in trouble is anyone who can’t see that that saying only 1 of Fox and Fletcher is worth keeping is a foggy statement at best......listening to you, you make out it’s like a throw up between Nuhiu and Hirst

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, trev said:

Wouldn't surprise me if we finally see a reversal in power after this mess.

 

The club's will be the ones who hold all the cards and the players have take it or leave it offers.

 

Lots and lots of players may find themselves without clubs if they don't drop their wage demands.

 

If the 2 offers on the table were made before this enforced break, they were probably very decent and if I'm honest we should remove them and re-evaluate our options.

Some clarification of the transfer window would help....but that is not going to happen, I assume we can talk to UK based out of contract players from 1/7 irrespective of what happens with the season, as they are legally out of contract

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ian said:

Thanks for your concern but I’m fine thank you. I’d say the person more in trouble is anyone who can’t see that that saying only 1 of Fox and Fletcher is worth keeping is a foggy statement at best......listening to you, you make out it’s like a throw up between Nuhiu and Hirst


just for you then Einstein- I wouldn’t sign Fox 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, torres said:


I wouldn’t have thought so. It wasn’t the norm when teams played 2 up front never mind when a single forward is the current fashion 

 

You may have fallen for our clubs ridiculously poor recruitment template 

 


 

 

Ha ha yeah, however, just a brief scan through the Championship squads, and 5 or 6 does appear to be the norm. Is it necessary, as you say, with sides generally playing just the one up, I don’t know

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, torres said:


why should it not have been like that before? 
 

Clubs were ran by cretins before this I presume they’ll be ran by cretins after it 

Because hopefully this will serve as a wake up call to clubs. The fact that these clubs should be run more like a business and not like a toy.

 

Your probably right though...eventually all will go back to normal. But it may take a while. So until then...players need to get more realistic in wage demands and agents need to get a grip too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Ha ha yeah, however, just a brief scan through the Championship squads, and 5 or 6 does appear to be the norm. Is it necessary, as you say, with sides generally playing just the one up, I don’t know


I think most clubs are made up of 2 or 3 main forwards - I.e wages/profile/expectations, then youth players or loans if necessary add to this. 
 

Id be disappointed if we signed 5 forwards in the summer 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just read a piece by Gary Neville who fears that many Championship players who are out of contract will fail to find new clubs. Their expensive lifestyles will come quickly to an end if this is the case and many will struggle to re adjust.

 

For those reasons I don’t think the Owls will have too much trouble rebuilding the squad. There will be free agents a plenty and Championship wages of £30,000/ week will be a thing of the past for any new signings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, torres said:


I think most clubs are made up of 2 or 3 main forwards - I.e wages/profile/expectations, then youth players or loans if necessary add to this. 
 

Id be disappointed if we signed 5 forwards in the summer 

If we are to play with just the one up front, yes three would suffice. All would need to be of similar style and ability, and key to operating a smaller squad, would be to have a decent U23 set up, where players could step up if needed Not sure that too many of our current U23s could do that

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...