Players contracts ending in June

3 minutes ago, nbupperthongowl said:

I wonder what the wage bill for so few players is...the reduction in spend has got to give us some leeway in the summer

Westwood - £30k a week

Dawson - probably £10k

Wildsmith £5k

Palmer £5-10k

Odabajo £10k

Iorfa £15k

Lees £20k

Borner £5k

Van Aken £5k

Harris £10k

Luongo £15k

Bannan £25k

Reach £25k

Rhodes £40k

A rough estimate £200k a week salary over a season £10m with the squad we end this season with. people wont like it but for me we need Lees, Bannan, Reach, Rhodes & Westwood all sold and gone will save us £130k a week or £7m a season + maybe bring in at least the same again in transfer fees.

We need to start again, with a young hungry team - an experienced keeper, 2 central defenders, 2 central midfielders 3 wingers and 3 strikers to give us the bare minimum we need, that's a big turn around if no players are resigned 11 players

I would keep Fessi as for the £25k a season he cost us we won't find a replacement for £1.3m a season in fees and wages as good, Fox decent squad player and Penney new deal. For what he would cost I would also sign Burokov to a 2 year deal give him time to develop in the first team squad and offers something different up front. If Fletcher will take a reduction on his reported £30k a week I would resign him, but if not let him go very few other teams will offer a player of his age those terms.

There is going to be so many good player around out of contract that this close season whenever it will be need to be used to the full extent. We cannot start another season with 6 or 7 players that have under performed for so long still at the club - thank you for the play off memories but I want my club to be challenging for the top flight not thinking about what happen years ago.   

28 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Westwood - £30k a week

Dawson - probably £10k

Wildsmith £5k

Palmer £5-10k

Odabajo £10k

Iorfa £15k

Lees £20k

Borner £5k

Van Aken £5k

Harris £10k

Luongo £15k

Bannan £25k

Reach £25k

Rhodes £40k

A rough estimate £200k a week salary over a season £10m with the squad we end this season with. people wont like it but for me we need Lees, Bannan, Reach, Rhodes & Westwood all sold and gone will save us £130k a week or £7m a season + maybe bring in at least the same again in transfer fees.

We need to start again, with a young hungry team - an experienced keeper, 2 central defenders, 2 central midfielders 3 wingers and 3 strikers to give us the bare minimum we need, that's a big turn around if no players are resigned 11 players

I would keep Fessi as for the £25k a season he cost us we won't find a replacement for £1.3m a season in fees and wages as good, Fox decent squad player and Penney new deal. For what he would cost I would also sign Burokov to a 2 year deal give him time to develop in the first team squad and offers something different up front. If Fletcher will take a reduction on his reported £30k a week I would resign him, but if not let him go very few other teams will offer a player of his age those terms.

There is going to be so many good player around out of contract that this close season whenever it will be need to be used to the full extent. We cannot start another season with 6 or 7 players that have under performed for so long still at the club - thank you for the play off memories but I want my club to be challenging for the top flight not thinking about what happen years ago.   

Yup, nailed it.

There will me many many players out of contract.

Some bloody good ones too.

We don't need to be sentimental. Be smart and savvy. 

Cut our costs and recruit players under 27 if possible.

Don't be afraid to look abroad for bargains.

Easier said than done of course but at least it's a strategy and a plan.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nbupperthongowl said:

One of which is transfer listed,(Moses), one currently out in loan (where they have the same issues) so likely to stay there. Luongo often injured, so in all likelihood we won't be able to Field a team as of 1july.... must be the same for a lot of clubs

Just void the season, transfer window 1 July to 30 September and look to start the new season on 1 October

With a bit of luck we will have a few players already agreed to sign on 30/6. I know we can't officially negotiate yet but I'm sure we will have put feelers out. Windass might be one. I know it will invoke tortured screams from many but Da Cruz could be another.

Fox and Lee (on a 1 year deal at low cost) PLUS Fletcher on a 2 year lower wage and Nuhiu for another 2 year bin the others. 

Try and get shut of Odubajo, Rhodes, Westwood and see if we can any decent offers for our saleable assets namely Iorfa , Bannan and Reach and cash in on at least one of those offers if good enough

4 hours ago, The Horse said:

Please don't take my Fessi away!!

Seriously though, I know we need a clear out and Monk wants to uproot the deep seated culture of failure but Wednesday have always had the flair players that the Blunts never really had.

In my time:

Dalian Atkinson

Di Canio

Waddle

Carbone

JJ

Royston Drenthe

Forestieri

And Dave Bennett

They've had Franz Carr. 😁

But I digress.

I like how Monk's doing the weeding at the moment but I hope we get some excitement in the team or we get another purple patch of years out of FF.

The kind of players that get you on the edge of the seat when they have the ball and do things / score the type of goals that get shown again decades later.

Ahh But we had Franz Carr first 😃

2 hours ago, room0035 said:

Westwood - £30k a week

Dawson - probably £10k

Wildsmith £5k

Palmer £5-10k

Odabajo £10k

Iorfa £15k

Lees £20k

Borner £5k

Van Aken £5k

Harris £10k

Luongo £15k

Bannan £25k

Reach £25k

Rhodes £40k

Pluck a number.... Any number

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, trev said:

I really like Fletcher. Good player always puts in 100%.

But he is injured a fair bit and is not getting any younger. If he's on 30k a week I wouldn't want to be offering him that.

Plus he will want 2 years minimum. 

I just think we need to go younger and cheaper.

Fox is ok and has been a solid player. As long as he wants sensible wages I'd offer him 2 years. But if he starts getting greedy let him go...hes not exactly irreplaceable.

Fox is our only LB though. Wouldnt let him go before signing another

Happy for them to all go. If Fox signs as a squad player that's ok.

If we knew 100% the next season was safe to come to a conclusion I'd look at sensible 1 year offers for Fletcher and possibly Forestieri if Monk stays and wants him. Expect both want 2 years though.

Fresh start needed. Gutted Lees, Westwood and Rhodes will still be here.

10 hours ago, MallorcaOwl said:

Ten players could leave Sheffield Wednesday at the end of their contracts – Cameron Dawson, Ash Baker, Morgan Fox, Kieran Lee, Joey Pelupessy, Sam Hutchinson, Sam Winnall, Atdhe Nuhiu, Fernando Forestieri, Steven Fletcher.

Due to the uncertainty about when the season will re-start or not, there could be a legal minefield if the season re- started after the contracts expired.

Dawson signed

Baker left.

Other players out of contract not mentioned Penney Paul Jones Gk, Stobbs and lots of U23s

Edited by Etchesketch

Hmm, so whichever way we look at it, things will be really tough for a few years. Ideally, you want to be adding 3 or 4 players to your squad each summer, with a view to upgrading at least two of the starting eleven. Bringing in more than that is often a recipe for trouble. It becomes even more of a lottery when that happens, as we’ve seen with previous scattergun recruitment drives. Even in recent times here for example, do we believe we clearly identified many of the players brought in years one and two? Yes there were a few success story’s, but even Eustace had that with his mass recruitment drive. In the main though, so much of the recruitment was poor. It’s not just here, we see it at other clubs also, Fulham for instance, on their return to the top flight.

In my opinion, these large scale recruitment drives rarely work, especially if we are looking to do it on a limited budget. Certainly I wouldn’t want us to be needing to recruit more than half a dozen players.

21 hours ago, Stoop said:

Hopefully only Fox and Fletcher will be offered new deals. Bad news for Adthe that he can’t put his usual post Easter shift in to get a new contract

Wouldn't offer those two new contracts.

Fletcher has had a good year, been our best player and had his best scoring season, but..... he has had his best scoring season at 33. Been here 4 years and this is the only year he's pulled up any trees, and on a big wage. Cant see him taking a one year deal on 10k a week ?? If he does then he can have it bit otherwise let him go. Fox we need better simple as.

Not the two id be offering contracts too myself.

21 hours ago, The Horse said:

Please don't take my Fessi away!!

Seriously though, I know we need a clear out and Monk wants to uproot the deep seated culture of failure but Wednesday have always had the flair players that the Blunts never really had.

In my time:

Dalian Atkinson

Di Canio

Waddle

Carbone

JJ

Royston Drenthe

Forestieri

And Dave Bennett

They've had Franz Carr. 😁

But I digress.

I like how Monk's doing the weeding at the moment but I hope we get some excitement in the team or we get another purple patch of years out of FF.

The kind of players that get you on the edge of the seat when they have the ball and do things / score the type of goals that get shown again decades later.

With Monk in charge there will be no excitement !!!

I would give Forestieri a new contract he's a quality player. 

21 hours ago, 0114 said:

We would have 14 first team players registered if no contracts are renewed and loans end. Leaves us with this through July. Going to be a mess especially in the lower leagues.

Westwood

Dawson

Wildsmith

Palmer

Odubajo

Iorfa

Lees

Borner

Van Aken

Harris

Luongo

Bannan

Reach

Rhodes

Out of these 14 how many would you WANT to keep ????

Id go with 7 and two of those are Keepers

If you look at Chansiri's plan on 2 players per position for next year id be looking at keeping: (based on 442)

GK: Dawson, Wildsmith

RB:

LB: Penney

CB: Iorfa, Hutchinson, Borner

RM: Reach

LM: Bannan, Harris

CM: Luongo

CF: Forestieri

Looking at the under 23's we have Hunt, Shaw, Urhoghide, Preston and Borokov who need to be playing first team football either here or somewhere else next year.

So I would be looking to be bringing in up to 11 players.

13 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Out of these 14 how many would you WANT to keep ????

Id go with 7 and two of those are Keepers

Not one I’d lose sleep over. Just showing the difficulty all clubs will have if games are to be played in July. We won’t be alone.

11 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Wouldn't offer those two new contracts.

Fletcher has had a good year, been our best player and had his best scoring season, but..... he has had his best scoring season at 33. Been here 4 years and this is the only year he's pulled up any trees, and on a big wage. Cant see him taking a one year deal on 10k a week ?? If he does then he can have it bit otherwise let him go. Fox we need better simple as.

Not the two id be offering contracts too myself.

The problem is even selling the stadium, and hopefully writing the accounting debts off we will still have lost £10-15m in the 2019 account to be filed later this year, then probably will have lost a similar figure this season too.

So we are firmly back in the brown stuff with the finance, each season due to poor squad management, we have £100-200k a week of players not playing.

In 17/18 it was Abdi, Hutchinson, Forestieri, Matias, Lee, JVA and the players injured

in 18/19 it was Jones, JVA, Abdi, Winnall, Hooper, Westwood, Hutch, Onamah, Pudil, Forestieri

This season again Westwood, Hutch, Rhodes, Bates, Wildsmith, Pelupessy, Winnall, Odabaju, Luongo

We cannot keep wasting £5-10m a year for players to sit in the stands. We need a clear out but the problems is our losses are so high with very little quality in the team, meaning we have to keep players like Pelupessy, Fox, Lee because we cannot afford to replace them for better players with the hope they step up and become the players we need Fox has this season but is it because the rest have been so much worse? 

We have little or no youth development as had been seen in the last 5 years no player has come through from the youth ranks and become a first team regular except Dawson and I think most would say he is not the best player in his position.

Since the play off final we fallen further and further behind other teams because of the way in which the whole club is managed, we stumble from season to season with the only financial plan being promotion but with no real way of achieving it.

Unless significant changes are made in the club structure and qualified staff are brought in to manage the club (Footballing CEO), the marketing (Marketing Mananger), the team (DOF) then I am afraid to say as a Wednesday fan of over 40 years we as a club in the next season or so will be a league one team because DC current management structure is only taking us one way. 

22 hours ago, Stoop said:

Disappointed that Rhodes isn’t up either. Then we could have completely cleared out the expensive wasters

Ive heard on the grapevine we actually gave him a 20 year deal (certainly feels like it) :duntmatter:

3 minutes ago, room0035 said:

The problem is even selling the stadium, and hopefully writing the accounting debts off we will still have lost £10-15m in the 2019 account to be filed later this year, then probably will have lost a similar figure this season too.

So we are firmly back in the brown stuff with the finance, each season due to poor squad management, we have £100-200k a week of players not playing.

In 17/18 it was Abdi, Hutchinson, Forestieri, Matias, Lee, JVA and the players injured

in 18/19 it was Jones, JVA, Abdi, Winnall, Hooper, Westwood, Hutch, Onamah, Pudil, Forestieri

This season again Westwood, Hutch, Rhodes, Bates, Wildsmith, Pelupessy, Winnall, Odabaju, Luongo

We cannot keep wasting £5-10m a year for players to sit in the stands. We need a clear out but the problems is our losses are so high with very little quality in the team, meaning we have to keep players like Pelupessy, Fox, Lee because we cannot afford to replace them for better players with the hope they step up and become the players we need Fox has this season but is it because the rest have been so much worse? 

We have little or no youth development as had been seen in the last 5 years no player has come through from the youth ranks and become a first team regular except Dawson and I think most would say he is not the best player in his position.

Since the play off final we fallen further and further behind other teams because of the way in which the whole club is managed, we stumble from season to season with the only financial plan being promotion but with no real way of achieving it.

Unless significant changes are made in the club structure and qualified staff are brought in to manage the club (Footballing CEO), the marketing (Marketing Mananger), the team (DOF) then I am afraid to say as a Wednesday fan of over 40 years we as a club in the next season or so will be a league one team because DC current management structure is only taking us one way. 

Couldn't agree more. Really couldn't. 

Anyone with half a brain (which excludes a lot of our fans lol) can see what needs to happen now to move the club forward, but as you say DC cant see it. Which means Monk is going nowhere, so were going nowhere on the pitch, and DC wont be appointing anyone upstairs so were going nowhere off the pitch.

20 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Couldn't agree more. Really couldn't. 

Anyone with half a brain (which excludes a lot of our fans lol) can see what needs to happen now to move the club forward, but as you say DC cant see it. Which means Monk is going nowhere, so were going nowhere on the pitch, and DC wont be appointing anyone upstairs so were going nowhere off the pitch.

The worrying thing is we are going somewhere unfortunately it is the wrong way since the play off final we have been slowing getting further and further behind the rest in the league we are now slipping down the league and depending what happens with the misconduct charges could be relegated.

In this time the team has got worse and worse quality, and old and older - Players bought 5 years ago the quality of Fessi are being replaced with free agents the quality of Harris, international in Pudil are being replaced with player such as Fox is he really a top championship team quality?, Internationally and top end championship keeper has been replaced with a kid who concedes 1.6 goals a game  (50 games 80 goals), We have gone from having the tightest defence in our history to concede goals from everywhere and a strike force that has managed just 22 goals all season from 105 appearances.

The only constant in this whole time has been the man at the top, it is pretty clear to see from anyone in the football community what the problem is both on and off the pitch the complete lack of leadership at every level of the club.

I have called for qualify people to be brought who know how to run a club, but as other says it is his money and he can do what he wants. But after he has completely destroyed my once great club, I will still be here long after he has left for his new play thing - we can only all hope that end up being SUFC lol